jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Weird CPM patterns

1. Denmarkguy profile image94
    Denmarkguyposted 2 years ago

I'm not exactly "new" around here... but sometimes I feel totally mystified by the evident "micro climates" that seem to affect my CPM numbers.

For example, I have had pretty much "X" number of hubs for a long time. And my CPM seems pretty stable within a narrow-ish range. And my traffic is pretty stable, with a few "blips" if a hub suddenly gets picked up on some social media account, blog or web site.

So we're going along... eveything is normal, and NO change in anything on my part... and around July 22nd, my CPM "falls off a cliff." Basically... a 55% drop over three days. And then it settles in at the MUCH lower new rate. No change in daily views. No new content. No significant change in sources of traffic. Then we fast forward to about 8/16... CPM slowly starts creeping up again, and by yesterday is back to where it was, before it fell of a cliff.

Did EVERYone why buys "my" advertising keywords suddenly shake hands and agree to stop bidding for ads at exactly the same time? And then resume, at the same time? Small fluctuations I get. A one-day spike/decline I get. But this? Not so much.

Maybe there is some kind of "meta pattern" here... perhaps related to the (then) in-progress acquisition of "that other site?"

Just curious... worked with statistics for many years, and stuff like that sends all sorts of bells ringing. Not going "wah, wah, wah" here... simply curious.

2. relache profile image88
    relacheposted 2 years ago

Advertisers do have schedules for their advertising rates.  CPMs traditionally are higher earlier in the month, but will also be overall increased during certain times of the year.  Seasonal traffic gets a much higher budget.

Ad rates just went kaput because this time of year is crap for online selling.  It's late summer.  A significant number of Americans are taking their last extended summer vacations or traveling, a trend that lasts through Labor Day weekend.

And then there will be a volcano of back-to-school action and suddenly it's a huge push for Halloween.

3. paradigmsearch profile image90
    paradigmsearchposted 2 years ago

Life is a weird CPM pattern...

1. NateB11 profile image93
      NateB11posted 2 years ago in reply to this