jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (13 posts)

Dear HubPages Staff

1. Hamshi profile image84
    Hamshiposted 2 years ago

Is it okay if we copy the url of each Amazon capsule and include it as a text link on our hubs?

That way, we're still using the HP amazon modules but in text links.

I ask this because the adblock plus is blocking all the Amazon capsules but it doesn't block text links.

Over 60 million people in the USA have adblock downloaded and that REALLY impacts the sales conversion on our hubs.

I've raised my concern about this 3 months ago but didn't manage to get a solution.

It's either that or would you please do something to your Amazon capsules so it doesn't get blocked by Adblocker?

We'd all really appreciate if you could take a step in solving this problem for us.

Thank you very much in advance.

2. psycheskinner profile image80
    psycheskinnerposted 2 years ago

You can make in text links to Amazon the same as any other in text link.  But use a plain link as the text units do not support advanced html.

1. HomeArtist profile image61
      HomeArtistposted 2 years ago in reply to this

What's the 'plain-link?' I'm new to this text link stuff. smile

1. wilderness profile image96
        wildernessposted 2 years ago in reply to this

If you use in-text links, be aware that the rule for only two links per domain per hub applies to Amazon.

1. Emma Vine profile image83
          Emma Vineposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Does this rule also apply to sources we credit for pictures?

I've been linking my source photo from places like Wikimedia Commons and Morguefile, are those counting against the rule of two?

1. Millionaire Tips profile image89
            Millionaire Tipsposted 2 years ago in reply to this

There are some exceptions to the two link per hub rule.  I know Flickr and Wikipedia are exceptions and I would guess that Wikimedia and Morguefile would also be exceptions.  They want you to try to avoid sending people away from the site, especially to your own site.

Thank you. I am definitely not trying to redirect traffic with those links - only show the source for anyone who wants to see it.

2. wilderness profile image96
            wildernessposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Some sources do fall under the 2 link per domain rule.  More than a few hubbers have been caught on this one, with the hub being labeled over promotional as a result of those sources.

As Millionaire noted, though, wikipedia is exempt as is wikimedia (from personal experience - I use them extensively).  As a very general rule of thumb, sites generating income as profit are not exempt; those that are are exempt.  Exceptions abound, though.

Great! That is very helpful general rule of thumb. I was trying to find this yesterday in Help but either it's not there or I was overwhelmed and missed it. This is exactly the type of thing I was looking for, thank you.

3. Paul Edmondson profile image
    Paul Edmondsonposted 2 years ago

Beyond the text link option we provide, it's not very likely. However we will make some amazon changes shortly that will help with revenue generation.

4. Greekgeek profile image98
    Greekgeekposted 2 years ago

Paul, I think the main concern is that Squidoo Amazon modules weren't blocked by Adblocker, whereas Hubpages Amazon capsules are. If the upcoming changes solve that problem, that would be great.

1. Paul Edmondson profile image
      Paul Edmondsonposted 2 years ago in reply to this

We will adopt several attributes of the squidoo amazon formatting, so perhaps it will fix it. We aren't likely to focus on appearing on ad blockers.

1. Hamshi profile image84
        Hamshiposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Thank you for your reply, Paul.

It will be quite pointless to have fancy Amazon modules if a huge chunk of our buyers aren't going to see them.

I really hope the "Squidoo formatting" you're talking about does the trick though. hmm

working