jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (6 posts)

Why did Squido merge into Hubpages?

1. RanaKm profile image54
    RanaKmposted 2 years ago

Hey, so I'm still confused and wondering of why would such a big site do something as such to its members? I've read many articles about squiders who are really desperate about this,,I think it's really sad! Imagine if someone had about 300 to 700 lenses, how on earth would he/she be able to transfer them? I hope this never happens here on Hubpages!!

1. relache profile image87
      relacheposted 2 years ago in reply to this
    2. Marisa Wright profile image93
      Marisa Wrightposted 2 years ago in reply to this

If they have even one Featured lens, then HubPages will do the whole transfer for them, so they just have to be patient.  What's more, HubPages will put 301 redirects in place so their lenses shouldn't lose traffic due to the move.  I'd say it's a pretty good outcome and Squidoo members are looking a gift horse in the mouth - how much worse would it have been if Squidoo had just closed down their site and wiped everything?  Other sites have done that.

Of course it's a very stressful time and upsetting for people who were naive enough not to understand the risks of writing on a platform they didn't own.   Also, they all have a deal of work ahead of them to make sure their lenses meet HubPages' rules, but the alternative would've been a whole lot worse.

1. misterhollywood profile image92
        misterhollywoodposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I do wonder if squidoo got hit badly by Panda and couldn't recover?
        http://xstickwriter.blogspot.com/2013/0 … pdate.html

1. Marisa Wright profile image93
          Marisa Wrightposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Yes, that's pretty much it.

2. Maximum A profile image89
    Maximum Aposted 2 years ago

True, Marisa. It would've been much worse if it was shut down, with most of their lenses gone like how other writing sites did it. I guess the peeve of some lensmasters would be getting an Adsense account since Squidoo didn't require one.

Anyway, they've got great articles so their lenses becoming featured hubs shouldn't be difficult.