jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (13 posts)

hub rating

1. Glen Kowalski profile image93
    Glen Kowalskiposted 2 years ago

Really curious about hub scores.

why would this hub rate a 72 http://glenkowalski.hubpages.com/hub/Sheapshead-Fishing
    while this one is a 57? http://glenkowalski.hubpages.com/hub/Bl … Techniques

If anything the Blackfin tuna one is more informative.

1. Marisa Wright profile image93
      Marisa Wrightposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Go into edit mode and take a look at the check boxes in the top right hand corner.   These are the "stellar Hub" guidelines.   They, plus the score you got in QAP, are a major factor in HubScore.  They're guidelines, not rules, but HubPages feels they're "best practice".   The more boxes you've got ticked, the higher your HubScore will be.

New Hubs always start out fairly low.    Score is not used to decide whether a Hub stays Featured or not - that depends on whether it gets traffic.  You may be confusing "no-index" with "no-follow" - if a Hub drops below a certain score, the links within the Hub - not the Hub itself - are marked no follow.

2. Writer Fox profile image79
      Writer Foxposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Here are links about the QAP process:
      http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/124071#post2625532

That said, after you've been here a while you'll notice that these scores go up and down all the time even when you haven't edited a Hub.  The QAP score charts are NOT based upon what search engines like, which is a huge mistake I think.  And, a Hub score does NOT take into account traffic or income for a Hub.  (You would think those would be the most important rating factors, but they are not.)

For example, I published a Hub a year ago which has had 189,000 views. Its score is 73! A Hub I published ten months ago has had 128,000 views.  Its score is 69!  And on it goes. Other people have commented that they have Hubs rated 100 which don't get any views. There are writers on this site with over 10 million views on their Hubs and their Hubber scores (mainly a reflection of Hub scores) are in the 60's and 70's. From what I've seen, people with the highest Hubber scores have some of the lowest traffic numbers.

People get very angry about their Hubber scores, complain on the forum, stop writing, but HP doesn't want to change the system and that number is going to appear on your avatar whether you want it there or not. It's like a grade-school report card stapled to your face.

People have complained over and over about the Hub scores and the Hubber scores, but Paul E. likes the algorithm which calculates them and things are unlikely to change. A low score will change the way a Hub is featured on Topic pages and this can affect a search engine's perception of how the HP site values your content, but, fortunately, you can still make money in spite of the low scores. If that changes, this fox is outahere.

2. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 2 years ago

This has been questioned endlessly-- and most conclude that scores may keep some people motivated, but there is not a lot of meaning in them.
    In other words, don't worry about scores too much, they are often not at all related to earnings and to say that they are subjective is probably an understatement. Do your best and flush the rest.

Glen Kowalskiposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I'm not worried in a 'oh no the world is ending I didn't get a 100 hub score' so much as 57 is really low! and if it drops to 40 it will no longer be indexed by hubpages o.O .   So if someone has time and is willing to look at the two pieces and tell me why one is a 72 while the other is a 57 I'd love to hear it smile

1. Rochelle Frank profile image90
        Rochelle Frankposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Obviously I am no expert on this, but I suspect that a lot of us are going to see some of these  variations for a while.
        With all of the hundreds of Squidoo articles being transferred over in a short period of time, I'm sure it will take some time and patience for the numbers to settle.
        Some of the scoring factors may be (imperfectly) automated, but relatively few human eyes and brains are dealing with a huge volume of material right now. I'm sure your offerings will rise with the tide.

So long as they stay 'featured' ie available to search engines I'm happy.

3. pateluday profile image16
    pateludayposted 2 years ago

Almost all of my hubs are featured. When do I get a do follow link which means a lot to me? It is easier to get a do follow link on other platforms.

If I am reading it correctly, you need two things.  Your personal 'hubber score' needs to be 85 or greater, AND the individual hub needs to have a score of 40 or greater.

1. Writer Fox profile image79

You are right that the Hubber Score now has to be 85.  But, I thought the Hub Score needed a 50.  I don't know where that information is, but you might look through the old blog posts and find it:
        http://blog.hubpages.com

4. Chinaimport profile image88
    Chinaimportposted 2 years ago
    1. Writer Fox profile image79

I just looked at that info again and I don't think it's been updated in some time. Paul E. said in a recent forum post that traffic to a Hub has little effect on a Hub Score in this post:
      http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/123954? … ost2624661

Also, all of the information on the Learning Center link about participating in the forums, etc., doesn't appear to be true now either.  The lady's picture on that Learning Center page is Simone Smith.  She used to work at HP. She left on May 31, 2013, hasn't published a single Hub since, has made no forum posts, has not commented on Hubs or participated in Q & A.  Her Hubber Score sits at 96. So, participation on the site has little to do with a Hubber Score either.

Another thing Paul said recently is that the Hubber Score is mostly based on scores of individual Hubs. And that, we know, is a flawed system.

I figured it had something to do with scores.  Which is why I was curious-two hubs that are almost identical in quality both have wildly divergent scores!  But either way I guess it doesn't really matter what HP thinks.  In the end it all comes down to the search engines.

working