jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

New Capsule Type - Promotion Journal

1. Easy Exercise profile image89
    Easy Exerciseposted 2 years ago

I try to promote my article and I have been using freeform a text capsule that is not displayed but it would be nice to have a journal that actually logs in column form so that I can see more clearly my activity and my results.

My free form journal looks roughly like this:

1. date 2. life to date 3. traffic promotion type

My vision is long term - to have HubPages gather this information from each capsule in each of my hubs and have an email sent to me to nudge me to promote my hubs - preferably on a timetable that I set - every six months - every 12 months - etc....

Thoughts? Suggestions?

1. Matthew Meyer profile image78
      Matthew Meyerposted 2 years ago in reply to this

You could use free tools like Google Drive to organize your Hubs and keep records of them. You can even export the stats information to CSV file and import it.
      You could also use Google calendar to set reminders for yourself to promote, edit, or do whatever you would like for each of your Hubs.

2. relache profile image86
    relacheposted 2 years ago

I would never spend time building this type of system or nagging already busy engineers to build this when software to do this already exists.

I also would not be writing on Hubpages if I was going to invest in this sort of content promotion.

3. lisavollrath profile image88
    lisavollrathposted 2 years ago

I think we already have a very visible nudge to promote our hubs: how much traffic did they get today? If I have a hub that's evergreen, and it's not getting any views, that's the hub I want to promote.

1. Greekgeek profile image97
      Greekgeekposted 2 years ago in reply to this

If our dashboard didn't tell us our traffic, there would be threads in this forum every day from members asking for that data. So it's not necessarily a nudge from Hubpages telling us to do anything. HP is just providing the data that users expect.

Also, promotion is not the only means of drawing traffic. Once that Tweet or Facebook share is a day old, its traffic usually drops off. Unless you're really lucky, and it goes viral.  How does it go viral? Not because you promoted it. But because the page it points to is so good that people want to share it.

So if page A is drawing visitors, and page B isn't, the solution is not necessarily, "I must tell people to visit page B again!" That's when I ask myself, "Why do people want to visit Page A, and how can I apply that lesson to my other pages?"

After all, search traffic doesn't come from social promotion. Search traffic comes from search engines. In fact, Google's Penguin algorithm neutralizes and discounts links it thinks come from self-promotion. Search engines only care what their users think of your work. Their users = your potential readers.

The best part about search traffic is that it keeps coming automatically. Whereas social promotion traffic usually dries up a few days or even a few hours after you share the link. Repeatedly sharing the same link won't help; that just drives away followers. You might attract longterm traffic by improving content so it's more useful, readable, engaging, has better pictures, and relevant to its topic.

1. lisavollrath profile image88
        lisavollrathposted 2 years ago in reply to this

You and I are probably working with different types of readers. I write recipes, and arts and crafts how-to articles. Promoting an older article in those areas that isn't currently receiving much love almost always creates a new wave of sharing, and brings in viewers who may have just discovered the joy of making things.

Closed to reply