jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (18 posts)

Stolen Content - Legal, Political and Social Topics

1. Judi Bee profile image86
    Judi Beeposted 2 years ago

One of my hubs has been copied by this site:  "Perfect Law World" (how ironic!)     www(dot)infily(dot)com

A quick look at the front page suggests that all the content is copied and a good number of articles are from HubPages.

Registrant is in China, the host is GoDaddy.

1. lisavollrath profile image89
      lisavollrathposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Here's the information required to file a DMCA complaint with GoDaddy:
      http://www.godaddy.com/agreements/showd … DMARK_COPY

Just scroll down to the Copyright Claims section, and follow the instructions.

Judi Beeposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Thanks Lisa - it's done already smile

2. AudreyHowitt profile image68
      AudreyHowittposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I am looking both under Perfect and the site address and am not finding the site you are talking about I think--I get US Law New

Hmm - the title appears to have changed to US Law New , although the tab on my browser still shows Perfect Law World.

3. The Frog Prince profile image80
      The Frog Princeposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for the heads up on one my articles being cut and pasted there verbatim Judi.  The content is an excellent read but not attribution was acknowledged at all.  I had even signed off like I always do and the idiot left that there too,

The Frog Prince

2. David Stone profile image81
    David Stoneposted 2 years ago

I've had numerous Squidoo lenses scraped this way. Almost all are on sites hosted by GoDaddy. I believe they do little to prevent it. I contacted them, by the way, and received no response.

Scrapers are worse than spammers, in my opinion.

I can't remember dealing with GoDaddy for a DMCA claim before - we'll see what (if anything) happens.

3. relache profile image88
    relacheposted 2 years ago

GoDaddy is rather responsive to infringement notices.

4. Suzanne Day profile image98
    Suzanne Dayposted 2 years ago

I have a hub regarding what to do about stolen content, whether stolen or remixed...

5. Gordon Hamilton profile image98
    Gordon Hamiltonposted 2 years ago

Personally, I believe it would be very simple for the search engines, working together (imagine that happening, to their mutual benefit!!!), to develop and introduce a straightforward tool which picks up on online plagiarism at source, almost immediately, clamping down on the culprits and ultimately all but eliminating this form of piracy in one fell swoop. The spiders crawl the content for ranking purposes - so why can't they determine whether it's original? Why these "Gods of the Internet" have elected not to do so is beyond me but had some small amount of resources been directed in this fashion years ago, I don't see how we would have the problem we have today with online copyright.

My own online articles being copied? Yes, I've seen it happen many times - but have long since stopped checking for it or filing what I believe are totally worthless DMCA's. Why close the stable door after 2,000 horses have bolted...???

1. Jean Bakula profile image96
      Jean Bakulaposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I agree in a lot of ways. Sometimes the sites that have copied my work have only several posts on them, and it isn't even worth the time to bother doing all the paperwork. If it's a site that gets more exposure, then I file, because I know they are stealing from many of us on HP.

Even though HP gives us info to help us go after the people, I always have trouble with Go Daddy, they seem to hide behind other names.

6. Cheeky Girl profile image85
    Cheeky Girlposted 2 years ago

Er, may I ask what companies are advertising with that site?

Why not contact those advertisers, and say they are sponsoring copied infringed content written by another party - namely you the original author - who is "threatening litigation" against the offending site, and ASK THEM WHAT THEY THINK ABOUT THAT?

Get their attention. Go after their money.

I did this some time back when someone ripped off something I wrote. The advertiser was not aware, and shocked and worried by what I said, so in the end my complaint was heard, and the "offending" copied content removed as per my request. It helps you when the request also comes from one of the site's PAID advertisers.

Go after their money, and you will get their attention.

Hi Cheeky Girl

Thanks for the good advice. 

I didn't actually start this thread to ask for advice - I've had to deal with this sooo many times before - but rather to alert people who write in the topic areas mentioned in the title that they might like to check the site in case their content has been scraped.

7. rebthomas profile image93
    rebthomasposted 2 years ago

Yes I found it.  Do you pay to file a DMCA?  I can't believe people do this.  You are great for finding it!!

1. Writer Fox profile image81
      Writer Foxposted 2 years ago in reply to this

No, you don't have to pay for it.  You just send an email.  However, you have to use the exact words required by The Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA).  Here's the information about how to do that:
      http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/how- … -complaint

If you are sending the notice to a website or hosting service outside of the U.S., use this wording to start the email:
      "Pursuant to 17 USC 512(c)(3)(A) of U.S. Copyright law and the Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works, to which [name of country] is a signatory, ..."

8. 61
    KristinaMPittsposted 2 years ago

Isn't that plagiarism?

9. 61
    KristinaMPittsposted 2 years ago

Report it! Good luck!!