jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (7 posts)

Uploading Video

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image90
    DzyMsLizzyposted 2 years ago

Hello--
      It's me again--the perpetual questioner! 

I have a hub waiting in the wings; it's waiting for me to do the video to go with it prior to publication.

However, my equipment is not state-of-the-art instant smart-phone-to-internet stuff.

I have an older video camera (I THINK it's digital imaging, but can't swear to that).  It doesn't use a disc, but the High-8 tapes.  It does connect to the computer via a "fire wire," so that's what makes me think it does produce a digital image, unlike my much older VHS camera that cannot even connect to a computer.

The only movie editing/uploading program I have is Windows Movie Maker.  I'm not able to afford to buy anything else, and as far as free stuff, I'm not very tech-savvy, so learning curves pose a problem for me.  I do already know how to use WMM.

Here's the question, though.  When I go to the "save movie" menu, I am presented with this dizzying list of choices:
    (and I'm already 'Dizzy' enough! wink )

Windows Movie Maker Save Movie Choices:

Video for Pocket PC            (218 Kbps)
    Video for Pocket PC            (143 Kbps)
    Video for Pocket PC     (full screen 218 Kbps)
    High Quality Video         (large)
    High Quality Video        (small)
    Video for local                 (2.1 Mbps)
    Video for local                 (1.5 Mbps)
    Video for LAN                 (1.0 Mbps)
    Video for LAN                (768 Kbps)
    Video for broadband    (512 Kbps)
    Video for broadband    (340 Kbps)
    Video for broadband    (150 Kbps)
    Video for ISDN               (48 Kbps)
    Video for dial-up access    (38 Kbps)
    DV-AVI                    (NTSC)
    High Quality Video        (NTSC)
    Video for local playback    (2.1 Mbps NTSC)
    Video for local playback    (1.5 Mbps NTSC)

WHICH one should I select for upload to HP??? 
    Or should I go through Vimeo first?  (I have had trouble trying to use YouTube....it did not recognize my edits, and said my video was too long to post on my free account.  It was not--I had edited it down to under their maximum time frame.)

I do actually know better than to use the slowest speeds, or the one for the old dial-up; I just included the entire list for your reference, and to show you my ONLY options.  If it isn't on that list, it's a format not available to me.

Thanks for any help.

1. The Examiner-1 profile image83
      The Examiner-1posted 2 years ago in reply to this

I have read a few complaints about WMM not working correctly. Supposedly there is a free replacement for it, here is a link to the top three free:
      http://www.zmescience.com/tech/totally- … vie-maker/

Here is a link to HP publishing a video:
      http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/How- … sh-a-Video

I hope that these help.

DzyMsLizzyposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Thanks, Examiner--I'll look into that, and at the article.  wink

2. Matthew Meyer profile image79
      Matthew Meyerposted 2 years ago in reply to this

For HubPages hosted video these might be the best bitrates to use.
      I would try the highest first.

Video for broadband    (512 Kbps)
      Video for broadband    (340 Kbps)
      Video for broadband    (150 Kbps)

Thanks, Matthew!
          I'll make a note of that for future reference.  Now, I just need to shoot that video!  wink  Hope to have it done by the weekend, or over the weekend.

P.S. -- do you happen to know if those same save-settings would be best for me to use for Face Book as well?  I posted a video there the other day, using the DV-AVI, (because using a different option clipped the video and eliminated my title screen), but it is kind of blurry; out-of-focus looking (the camera has auto-focus).

1. Matthew Meyer profile image79
          Matthew Meyerposted 2 years ago in reply to this

The main issue is going to be that DV or mini DV cameras shoot in standard def.
          If you have a modern phone it may actually shoot higher quality (higher resolution) video.

I would suggest aiming for 720p or 1080p video in order to make sure it looks good.

Yeah...but no,...as you can see from my chart above, that resolution is not available to me.

Further,  I don't own a so-called "smart" phone.  Only a pay-as-you-go "TracFone," mainly for staying in touch with my (disabled) hubby when I'm out running errands, or for emergencies.
            It makes and receives phone calls, and not much else.

The so-called "texting capability" is the old-school  "press each number several times to arrive at the letter you want" style, and while it does take still photos, the only way they can be uploaded is via e-mail, and that is a royal PITA...(see 'texting capability,' above).

And--we have that kind of cell phone for 2 reasons: 

1) we cannot afford the outrageous monthly charges the carriers assess (I buy 3 months of service for $20. Can't get that rate for a full-function 'smart phone.)  We can't afford the cost of the actual phone, either.
            2) we don't feel the need to be glued to a telephone all day long, posting our every move to 'social media'.

working