How to Celebrate a 2-Year Anniversary at HP

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (51 posts)
  1. janshares profile image92
    jansharesposted 9 years ago

Well, I decided to write the title but not the hub, lol. Seriously, what kind of traffic would it get anyway, yikes. So I decided to celebrate my 2-year anniversary in a forum post by sharing tidbits I've learned along the way. Hopefully, it will help HP newcomers/Squidoo transfers on the journey to a successful run on HubPages.

Hunker down and write a LOT of excellent quality hubs; you will save yourself a lot of time not having to come back and do a lot of fixing and editing later.

Understand the "bigger picture" as far as the business side of online writing; don't get upset when things don't seem fair or go your way; it's so much bigger than one writer; it's big business.

Be the best you can be, strive for professionalism, take the craft seriously when it comes to punctuation, grammar, and spelling.

Pace yourself, don't get burned out or discouraged; it will get better if you take your time and hang in there like a trooper.

Allow yourself to make mistakes AND improvements; even the best hubs can stand a little dusting off.

Gain, retain, and put to use all the knowledge you can from the Learning Center and the forums; it will pay off.

Expect things to change just when you thought you finally had on handle on this beast called online writing; it has a life of its own.

Surrender to all things you have no control over and let it go (fluctuations in hubscores, hubberscores, and traffic; understanding HOTD and EC; attitudes in the forums). Focus on what you do have control over - - writing articles.

Thank you, HP community for your support, help, and unique online friendships.

1. Brie Hoffman profile image58
      Brie Hoffmanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Congrats...I would add learn from other writers on HP, read other hubbers articles, it will save you time to learn from others rather than learning it yourself.

jansharesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I agree! It helped me tremendously, great advice. Thanks, Brie. smile

2. sallybea profile image94
      sallybeaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

My but the time does fly, two years!  I joined three months behind you and hoping against hope that I make  100000 views by then:)
      Thanks for the good advice given here and I hope that your next twelve months will be your best yet.

Thanks, sallybea. I can't believe how fast it went either.

3. Jodah profile image91
      Jodahposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Congratulations Jan, great advice too not to stress what you can't control. If I knew your 2 year Anniversary was approaching I would have baked a cake...oh well, maybe for your 3rd. smile

1. The Examiner-1 profile image59
        The Examiner-1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I can see it going through the email. LOL

Ha, ha, ha, thanks, jodah. Not too late. smile

4. Writer Fox profile image31
      Writer Foxposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Happy Anniversary, Jan!

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/9215634_f248.jpg

Thanks, Writer Fox. So nice to see you back in time to celebrate with me.

5. Nancy Hardin profile image60
      Nancy Hardinposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Happy Anniversary Jan. What you did there was very clever, spelling out HubPages with the first letter of each paragraph. But more than that, you hit the nail on the head with your advice. I've used an old saying I've used before about this kind of thing: I may play here, but the playground belongs to someone else. Of course, not meaning actual "play," but I'm sure you get what I mean. We don't get to make the rules, but if we stay, we must abide by them. I hope you've enjoyed your 2 years as much as I enjoyed my 4+ on Squidoo. I learned a lot there, and I expect I will learn here too. Thanks for a great read and I'm going to follow you so I can see how you do it. (smile)

Very nice post, Nancy. I appreciate all that you said. Thank you and welcome aboard!

6. kenneth avery profile image79
      kenneth averyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Congratulations, jan, for your anniversary. You earned it. I am proud to know you as a friend, follower and very talented writer. I wish you only the BEST from this moment forward on and off of HP.

2. Valerie P Davis profile image73
    Valerie P Davisposted 9 years ago

That's excellent advice! Those are all good tips wherever you're writing.

3. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 9 years ago

Very nice, janshares.  Happy 2nd!  smile

Thank you, Valerie and rebekahELLE.

4. profile image0
    swilliamsposted 9 years ago

Congrats Jan! You are a beautiful writer! Your expression through poetry is also a blessing! Keep up the inspiring work!

Thank you, swilliams, very sweet of you.

5. AliciaC profile image93
    AliciaCposted 9 years ago

Thanks for sharing the tips, janshares, and happy anniversary!

6. The Examiner-1 profile image59
    The Examiner-1posted 9 years ago

Congratulations Jan, that was good advice.

Thanks, AliciaC and Kevin. Glad you liked the advice.

7. bettyshares profile image60
    bettysharesposted 9 years ago

http://dl10.glitter-graphics.net/pub/1007/1007590dm6fri3yjc.gif

Oooo, bettyshares, so pretty. Thank you!

8. vocalcoach profile image94
    vocalcoachposted 9 years ago

Jan - Happy Anniversary! So thoughtful of you to post these tips so others can benefit.

9. ChristinS profile image39
    ChristinSposted 9 years ago

Congrats Jan on your 2nd year smile  Thanks for sharing your tips.

Thanks ChristinS and vocalcoach. The tips are the least I could do as a way to give back a fraction of all I've gained from my experience at HP.

10. Marie Flint profile image72
    Marie Flintposted 9 years ago

I wish I could vote thumbs up and useful on this post, Jan! This is a morale booster.Thank you.

Ha ha ha, so nice of you, Marie. You're welcome.

11. Arachnea profile image66
    Arachneaposted 9 years ago

Congrats! Milestones are excellent warm fuzzies. big_smile

Yes they are, Arachnea. Thank you for celebrating with me.

12. word55 profile image71
    word55posted 9 years ago

Congrats Jan! Hugs, hugging and hug some more to ya :-))

Thanks, word55, hugs right back.

13. sunilkunnoth2012 profile image59
    sunilkunnoth2012posted 9 years ago

Congrats jan and Happy Anniversary. Excellent tips, informative and helpful too. You are a good writer and fine presenter.  Hope and pray you have more success in the coming days.  But rather than a forum post, it would have been better if you had done a hub as surely it will bring you more viewers and attention. Anyhow your attempt is welcome. God bless you.

Thank you so much, sunnilkunnoth2012, for your vote of confidence. I just didn't think it would make a hearty hub of quality but I still wanted to share and celebrate. Oh well, maybe I'll do a hub at 3 years. smile

14. profile image0
    mumsgatherposted 9 years ago

Thank you for this. I have not read the Learning Center as much as I should because of information overload. Thanks for the reminder to look into it. Your advice is sound advice for a newbie on HubPages just coming over from Squidoo.

To be honest, mumsgather, I found the Learning Center overwhelming when I started here and would avod it like the plague. But now I understand its value. I still think it's easier to ask questions in the forums. Visit specific areas a little at a time.

15. Faith Reaper profile image83
    Faith Reaperposted 9 years ago

Congrats Jan!  Time does fly ... and you have given great tips here, especially to not sweat the stuff out of our control.

Blessings for many more years to come!

Thank you so much, Faith Reaper. You are a special hubber who has made my two-year stay here worthwhile. Blessings to you, too.

16. Barbara Kay profile image73
    Barbara Kayposted 9 years ago

Congratulations! I can remember when you just started here. My, but time flies.

Thanks, Barbara Kay. Yep, exactly 2 years today.

17. Millionaire Tips profile image90
    Millionaire Tipsposted 9 years ago

Congratulations! It is your anniversary and yet you are giving us a present of such great advice. I agree wholeheartedly!

Thank you, Millionaire Tips, just paying it forward.

18. profile image0
    LisaKeatingposted 9 years ago

This is so great! Congrats on your anniversary. You are such a good Hubber. You really do make the community better.

Thanks, Lisa, nice of you to say.

19. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 9 years ago

Congratulations on your 2 year anniversary!
    big_smile

Thank you, Stacie L!

20. firstday profile image60
    firstdayposted 9 years ago

Thanks of sharing!

21. firstday profile image60
    firstdayposted 9 years ago

I meant thanks for sharing!

You're welcome.

22. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 9 years ago

Congratulations from an old-timer:  celebrate in STYLE!
    http://s1.hubimg.com/u/9218278.jpg

Oh how lovely, gmwilliams. Thank you very much. Cheers!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)