jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (8 posts)

Titles in Google SERPs

1. mattforte profile image91
    mattforteposted 2 years ago

I've noticed that for shorter titles, our hubber name and "Hubpages" shows up in the search results, and it looks god aweful.

For example, if you were to find my "New Technology - 2015" hub on Google, it will show up in the results like this:

"New Technology - 2015 - mattforte - HubPages"

That looks TERRIBLE. I wouldn't want to click on that, even if it was on the first page. Just below the title they can see the "mattforte.hubpages.com" so it is not only unnecessary but redundant. If it just showed up as:
    "New Technology - 2015" that looks much more legit and professional.

While longer titles fix this issue on their own, that shouldn't be necessary. Some hubs fare better in search results when they're concise - especially if they're exact matches.
    This is hurting us.
    Please for the love of all that is holy, fix this

1. Glenn Stok profile image97
      Glenn Stokposted 2 years ago in reply to this

HubPages has nothing to do with this. It's the way Google lists the search results. It's the same for all of us...

Title - username - HubPages

Google limits that information to only one line. So, as you already discovered, longer titles will cause your username and HubPages to be dropped off. That's the only solution you have. But if you make the title too long, it will be truncated.

1. bethperry profile image89
        bethperryposted 2 years ago in reply to this

2. OldRoses profile image84
        OldRosesposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I've been wondering about this.  Thanks for the explanation and work-around.  I'll work on lengthening my titles.

1. Writer Fox profile image80
          Writer Foxposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Try using a pipe in your title:

Keyword Phrase You Want | Secondary Phrase

Google is now showing about 65 characters (including spaces) for page titles on search results pages, depending upon how many capital letters you use.

2. Matthew Meyer profile image77
      Matthew Meyerposted 2 years ago in reply to this

This site also allows you to check a URL and show the format in which it is being passed to Google.

2. SimilarSam profile image73
    SimilarSamposted 2 years ago

I had noticed it on Hubs and agree that it definitely doesn't entice you to click when you see that on search engines. I didn't realise it was out of HubPages control though which is frustrating.

Might need to focus on keeping longer titles on Hubs going forward for myself.

3. lobobrandon profile image81
    lobobrandonposted 2 years ago

Everything Glenn already said, plus this:

For Google, this length is usually between 50-60 characters, or 512 pixels wide (Copied from Moz SEO). If your title is within that limit it won't be truncated and shown in full.