Duplicate Content Flag AFTER Asking Google to Deindex an Article

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (34 posts)
  1. Nicole Pellegrini profile image60
    Nicole Pellegriniposted 9 years ago

I just got hit by a duplicate content unpublishing of one of my articles. For the record, it is my own work which I had originally published on another platform and wanted to relocate here.

After deleting the article from the original site, I submitted a request with Google to have that deindexed (https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/removals) so it would NOT show up as duplicate content in Google's cache. I waited until I got confirmation that it was removed, checked to see if the content was still showing up in Google search (it wasn't), before hitting publish here. And it still got flagged.

This is the first time I've had this happen and obviously I don't want to have it happen again! (I've moved other articles here following this procedure without any problems until now.)

So I guess my questions are:
    1. How long should I wait AFTER Google says they've deindexed an article before attempting to republish it here? Even if nothing's showing up in the cache or search results, is it still best to wait a week or two ---just to be on the safe(r) side?

2. Could it be a question of the old article showing up in other search engine results, and is there a way to ask for removal from them as well?

3. Is it worth explaining the situation via contacting the HP Team to get the hub republished, or should I just trash it/rewrite the entire thing at this point?

1. Rhonda Lytle profile image66
      Rhonda Lytleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I think if you were to explain the situation and accompany said explanation with the email that said it was  good to go from Google you would be fine.  I have not had cause to email the HP team in a long time for I was not here but when I first joined that was not the case.  They were responsive, beyond helpful, most polite and really easy to work with.  It was a different kind of issue but still the team was awesome.  Try it.  You have nothing to loose.

2. RonElFran profile image96
      RonElFranposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I had a similar situation with an article that no longer showed up in Google search, but which HP immediately unpublished for duplicate content. I had tried to track down all the plagiarized copies and get them eliminated, so I wasn't sure what else I could do. I emailed HP staff, and they determined that it was not duplicate content and published it within a few hours.

I have noticed that some online plagiarism checkers seem to have their own cache that might maintain copies of an article after it has been deindexed. Whether this has any impact on HP's determination of duplicate content I don't know.

Nicole Pellegriniposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for sharing your experience. I will definitely try contacting HP staff because I don't want it to look like I was purposefully trying to post duplicate content.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
          Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I hope you get this resolved.    This is why I take the lazy approach when transferring articles - I create them on HubPages but leave them unpublished, delete them from the other site, then wait a week or two before publishing.

3. Matthew Meyer profile image73
      Matthew Meyerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It is important to understand that having Google remove a site or URL from SERPs is not the same thing as having the content unpublished from the site on which it is published, unless Google is also the host (Blogger, etc).  The content will still be online, you just won't be able to search for it using Google.

If your original copyrighted content has been used without your permission, then a DMCA notice of infringement is likely appropriate. Make sure to file it with the site that is hosting the infringing material.

You can instructions for filing one here.
      http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/how- … -complaint

Hi Matthew,

As I think I explained throughout this thread:

1. I DID delete the original article where I had published it previously (on Zujava).

2. I THEN submitted a request with Google to have that original URL de-indexed, and waited for that to clear through before attempting to publish it here.

3. As support was nicely able to respond to me, someone HAD stolen my content in part, without my knowledge, which was why it got flagged as duplicate content. Not because I hadn't properly removed its original publication. It was a blogspot blog that stole it, so I have filed a DMCA with Google (using a dated link via Internet Archive to show my original authorship).

4. I am waiting to hear back from Google to see if the content gets removed from blogspot before attempting to have the article published here again. I will also be contacting the "author" of the blog that stole my content to explain that what she did was wrong and has caused me considerable trouble.

It's frustrating what a few paragraphs of words can cost you!

2. LindaSmith1 profile image61
    LindaSmith1posted 9 years ago

I have run across the same issue at various times.  Google may have you believe the removal was done yet they are still in Google Cache, and other cache sites.  I copy part of my article and put it in the search engine.  I also like Copyscape which shows the content that is duplicate as well as the location of that content,

3. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 9 years ago

Did you look for other copies of your article online in places other than just Google?

Yes, I did check for other copies of the article on-line (I do that every time I delete and move an article; I know how virulent content theft can be). Nothing came up.

4. profile image0
    blbairdposted 9 years ago

If it was an article from Yahoo, even though the site has shut down, the articles are still in the database. I tried yesterday to de-index one. Google came back to tell me the article was still on the site and could not be de-indexed. So even with the site gone, the content exists. Not sure what to do at this point.

As for content that does get de-indexed, wait  a few days to clear caches.

Nope, it was moved over from Zujava, not Yahoo. I've moved about 10 old Y!CN articles over here without problem, but I DID check first that they hadn't been plagiarized elsewhere (I have a few of those, unfortunately, so I'm not going to try to republish them here unless I can get the copies taken down first.)

I had a problem for about 2 weeks of my Y!CN articles not being de-indexed but mine seem to be all out of Google now. But it might be on an account by account basis, or depending on where on Yahoo your content was published? It was really aggravating the way that went down, and how they refused to add 404s because they "didn't have the time" for it. Meaning we all got hosed over in trying to easily and quickly get our content back out there.

5. lakeerieartists profile image63
    lakeerieartistsposted 9 years ago

HP may have a list of where else it shows up. Why not ask?

1. profile image0
      julieannbradyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

What Paula has suggested makes sense. I think it helps to have more specifics. Who, what, where, when, so to speak. I'd ask.

6. Writer Fox profile image31
    Writer Foxposted 9 years ago

Be sure to remove the cache from Google also:

https://support.google.com/websearch/tr … er/3111061

(Click inside the circle which says 'Web Search', then scroll down the page and click inside the circle which says 'A piece of content I am concerned about has already been removed by the webmaster but still appears among the search results.' Then, click on the link 'this tool.' You'll then be asked to sign in and then to enter the page URL and, if the page is still live, a word from the outdated cache page that you want to remove.

Be sure to have the cache removed from Bing also:
    http://www.bing.com/webmaster/help/bing … l-cb6c294d

You may ask the staff to help you here:
    http://hubpages.com/help-wizard/

You probably won't get an answer until Tuesday, after the holiday weekend in the U.S.

Thanks for the Bing link. I'm not stressing over a response this weekend, but would just like to follow-up in some way before I attempt any other content moves. I really want to move more content here but just want to be sure to do it properly.

1. Writer Fox profile image31
        Writer Foxposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The staff really will answer.  Just explain where it was published before and that it has been removed.  It happens!  The duplicate content checker here is very good.

Well, I did get an answer back from HP support (thank you that was quick) - and it looks like someone DID plagiarize a large chunk of my original article on a site I had not found in my attempts to check for it. So, I am just going to decide if the rest of the hub is worth saving/rewriting, since I have already deleted my original article's publication record (therefore I doubt I can easily get the plagiarized copy taken down.)

Sigh.

Lesson learned - that I'm going to be sure to use Copyscape in the future to check my entire articles for even partial plagiarism, before attempting to move them from one site to another.

Thanks for all the support and help, here, though!

Just file a DMCA with the hosting company of the site, get your content removed, and then republish it.  Why  just let the thief get away with stealing?

Because I already took down the original copy of my work, so I don't have online/dated proof that it's mine?

Bummer.

On the off chance that one of the search engines has a cached copy, you will still be able to file the DMCA.

Try pasting the old URL here and see if a cache exists online somewhere:
                https://duckduckgo.com/

You can check to see if there is an old copy here:
                https://archive.org/

2. RonElFran profile image96
                RonElFranposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I had a ton of my Yahoo articles plagiarized. I've been very successful getting DMCA takedowns from Google as well as Bing and even individual hosting sites. What I did was post the original article on my website (in a folder that robots.txt prevents from being indexed). That's the link I provide with my DMCA request. Even though the posting date is later than that of the stolen copies, that hasn't hindered getting the thieving sites blocked in search. Don't give up!

7. DJ Beatty profile image59
    DJ Beattyposted 9 years ago

i wonder i if any of my work is duplicated now. i want u to check for em nicole i only have 3 hubs

8. shellys-space profile image60
    shellys-spaceposted 9 years ago

I know there is a way to check for people who have copied your content, but can not remember how to do this. Does anyone have a tool or suggestions?

1. shellys-space profile image60
        shellys-spaceposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Writer Fox! The copyscape tool is saved on my computer now.

9. profile image0
    julieannbradyposted 9 years ago

Nicole, that really is a bummer that you were plagiarized. I've often been advised to rewrite my stuff when that happens as it has happened so many times with my online work. Sometimes, it isn't a block of content, but the whole dog-gone article! It is a concern when we are moving our content and deleting our own original stuff to relocate it -- and then jumping through hoops to prove that it WAS our original content.

You are very prolific -- if it is really a block, I'd rewrite -- you might actually improve upon your own brilliance.

Good luck -- we are all in that same boat ... or dinghy!! wink

10. brutishspoon profile image67
    brutishspoonposted 9 years ago

I had a problem along similar lines and had a nice e-mail conversation with the HP team.

Like a lot of people have said use the copy checking tools and copy and paste the first paragraph into Google to see if there are any copies of the article around.

Give it 48 to 72 hours then try to republish. It took me two months to get the other site to delete it from there catch. I had no problem with Google etc.

Unfortunately that was the mistake I made this time - I ONLY checked a few sentences from the opening paragraphs of the article, and found no copies of that online. This thief took several sections of my article from later on in the piece and skipped the introductory remarks - therefore I didn't find it in advance. So you can't rely on just checking the first paragraph via Google like that.

By the by, I DID find a copy via the wayback machine, so thanks for reminding me to try that! I am going to attempt to file a DMCA with Google using that as evidence/proof of my original publication, since it shows I published it last year and this thief stole sections of it in a blog post from this year.

Cool!

File your DMCA with the hosting company of the thief's website.  Unless the website is hosting on Blogger or Blogspot, filing with Google won't help you.  You need the content removed.

Go here to find out who is hosting the website:
        http://www.whoishostingthis.com/

Then, find the hosting site on Google to find the method (email or online form) for filing the DMCA.

It was a blogspot blog, so I used the appropriate Google form. I've always had good luck with them taking down blogger or blogspot thieves.

That's good to know.  They will remove it, but it usually takes them about a week. Keep an eye on your emails because with Blogger/Blogspot, Google might send you a question or two before they remove the content.

11. LindaSarhan profile image91
    LindaSarhanposted 9 years ago

I have been battling similar situations. There is amazing information in the post. Thanks to everyone for the helpful tips and advice.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)