jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (14 posts)

Do you actually read Terms and conditions

1. taiwokareem profile image84
    taiwokareemposted 2 years ago

I was just wondering, how many people read terms and conditions from beginning to the end when buying a product or when downloading an application

1. CatherineGiordano profile image94
      CatherineGiordanoposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Two to three pages of tiny type? No way. Sometimes I scan the section headings, the sections that appear most relevant to me..

2. junecampbell profile image85
      junecampbellposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I scan through. Mostly I am looking to see if any unwanted software will be installed automatically if I agree. I've had that happen a few times and now I'm more cautious.

2. lisavollrath profile image88
    lisavollrathposted 2 years ago

Nope. I rarely even look at the terms. I just hunt for the button that says I've read them, and click it. I could be signing away my soul for all I know.

I also run a business online, and I have terms and conditions on my digital products. I know from the emails I receive that very few people read them. In fact, they rarely read product descriptions, which really blows my mind! They just look at the title, and the price, and buy it.

1. taiwokareem profile image84
      taiwokareemposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I also don't read terms and condition. They are all too long and un-understandable but I've been busted once for not reading terms and condition and it was for a bus pass

3. How to do blog profile image60
    How to do blogposted 2 years ago

I think, I have read almost. It is too lengthy to read terms and conditions because there is a long page with many numbers of conditions. But I have done this task.

4. taiwokareem profile image84
    taiwokareemposted 2 years ago

I guess all those producers intentionally make it really long so that people will just scroll down to agree. I can't imagine reading a note for more than an hour when I would only understand less than 60% of everything

5. pateluday profile image14
    pateludayposted 2 years ago

Entirely at the mercy I hardly read. Thanks for making a point.

6. Millionaire Tips profile image89
    Millionaire Tipsposted 2 years ago

There is a documentary out about terms and conditions. We watched it recently, and it estimated the number of hours it would take to read all of the terms and conditions that you encounter.  t was a ridiculous amount of time.  But it was scary because of so many things we give up (privacy, etc.) so we can use a particular program.

7. relache profile image87
    relacheposted 2 years ago

I'm pretty sure I'm one of the only site members here who has more than a passing familiarity with the HubPages TOS.

My favorite part is explaining to people how by signing up for the site, they have automatically agreed that they have read, understood and accepted the entire TOS.

8. Shorebirdie profile image88
    Shorebirdieposted 2 years ago

I skim through them before I sign up just to make sure there aren't any hidden charges as well as privacy and copyright concerns.  If a problem or question occurs, I go back and search them more thoroughly to see if there's an answer or explanation.

I agree, TOS are waaaay too long for most people.

9. Dressage Husband profile image79
    Dressage Husbandposted 2 years ago

I tend to skim them to spot any I object to, or that are non standard. It is rare that I find any. However I was taught that you should always read them, I rather suspect most of us do not!

10. Adventuretravels profile image84
    Adventuretravelsposted 2 years ago

I don't to be honest - but that doesn't mean I haven't tried. After a while they all blend into one! And some are so long by the time I get to the bottom I have no idea what I read at the top!! Bad show for me sad

11. Jayne Lancer profile image91
    Jayne Lancerposted 2 years ago

I rarely read terms and conditions when I sign up for something, unless I suspect something dodgy. Far too lazy. I tend to gradually familiarise myself with the terms and conditions of services I use over a longer period as and when I need to know certain things. After four years, I'm now pretty familiar with the HP TOS, for example.