jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Terms: Backlinks, No Follow and Seo What do they mean?

1. Paula Andrea, MA profile image30
    Paula Andrea, MAposted 7 years ago

Hi, Everybody.

For fear and with awareness of sounding totally "uninformed", what exactly do these terms mean?  How do they apply to us and are we to be concerned with them? No, I have not done my "computer lingo" homework.  I'm much too busy reading and writing what y'all are doing. I'd certainly appreciate a mini mini mini crash course, if anyone is so inclined. thanks a bunch!

2. Eric Graudins profile image60
    Eric Graudinsposted 7 years ago

Hi Paula,

OK, Here's a mini crash course:

1. Backlinks are just links to your website from someone elses website.
    Search engines recognise these links as an important part of deciding how highly to rank YOUR website for a given search term. 

2. No Follow links are a link back to your website, but Search engines ignore them in deciding how to rank your website.
    Whether a link is "Follow" or "No Follow" is at the discretion of the webmaster of the site on which the link appears.

Many links these days are "No Follow, in an effort to discourage link spammers.

3. SEO is short for Search Engine Optimization - which is the process of telling the search engines what a particular web page is about.
    It's related to keywords, and basic SEO relates to having the keywords for a page in the Title, Headings, Description, and URL of a web page.
    Finding out about keywords is the fundamental step in SEO.
    I've written 2 hubs about keywords. You'll find them listed in my profile.

There's also a more general version I wrote for my newsletter subscribers called How to choose Search Engine Keywords. (It's a direct link - you won't have to sign up for anything)

Cheers, Eric G.

3. sunforged profile image69
    sunforgedposted 7 years ago

internet marketing lexicon

all the terms youll wonder about

http://hubpages.com/hub/Post-Hub-Pages- … ng-Lexicon

4. Paula Andrea, MA profile image30

If I could but relay how much I appreciate your having explained the "terms' for me, it may take days.  Although, I've got 'light years' to go before I can relate, assimilate,much less appreciate the full volume version of these words, I am grateful for the mini course.  I also quickly visited your other page of information and WOW! it really breaks it down.  I'll be back to visit again and again. {Did I mention, I would HAVE to stay longer than a visit since I'll be studying my new subject?} I'll pass on the news.  Great to meet you. I'm a fan, no doubt. Thanks

5. Paula Andrea, MA profile image30

First of all, I love the name you chose. It's loaded. Second, I also quickly browsed your wonderful site and discovered there is another  galaxy for me to try to fly in. I am going to go back and read the various "terms", information and data {that's what it looked like to me on first brief glance} and try to educate myself. Who knows by next year this time, I may even be able to carry on an intelligent conversation with you INTERNET geniuses.The new word "lexicon" caught my eye when I was on your sight.  Hmmm, I wonder?  thanks for the link. I appreciate you and Eric so much. You, too are my very next fan.