Table of contents please! or on-page search functionality.

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (27 posts)
  1. Glen Kowalski profile image94
    Glen Kowalskiposted 9 years ago

I tend to create long-form content.  A table of contents or a search function at the top of a hub would greatly benefit my users who may already know a bit about the subject and are looking for something new.

1. Writer Fox profile image32
      Writer Foxposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It's been suggested before but HP doesn't want to add the feature.

However, you can still make one.  This is how I do it:
      http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/113669#post2419013

2. profile image0
      Ally Lewisposted 9 years agoin reply to this

In all seriousness, do you mean like the way Wikipedia does it? (A lot of sites do, but that's probably the most prevalent and well-known example.) The TOC is after the overall summary and you click which part of the text you want to read specifically and jump to it by clicking it? Because that'd be a good idea.

2. lisavollrath profile image94
    lisavollrathposted 9 years ago

I found this hub, written by Darkside, which might help:
    http://darkside.hubpages.com/hub/tableofcontents

1. Lionrhod profile image78
      Lionrhodposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I used Darkside's tutorial and it worked great. EXCEPT in testing my links I found that it reloaded the page every time I clicked on a link & caused enormous lag.

Is there a way of doing this without causing the page to reload?

I vote for a TOC module! Please.

And those who want to build their own TOC, no reason why they still can't do that.

1. profile image0
        calculus-geometryposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you about the reload issue.  Unfortunately it occurs because we cannot create anchors with "a" tags with the "name" or "id" attributes in the html editor.  The only attributes allowed in the "a" tags are "href" and "target" and anything else gets stripped out when you save html changes.  The method in Darkside's tutorial is the only one that will work with the current limits on what we can code in the html editor.

Here's a tutorial Hub for creating a Table of Contents:
          http://sidkemp.hubpages.com/hub/TOC

1. profile image0
            calculus-geometryposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Sid's method is equivalent to Darkside's, and you'll notice if you click on the entries in his hub's TOC, the page refreshes, as it does on all our hubs for those of us who have created a TOC.

One thing else to note:  If you have a Hub which becomes Editor's Choice, if you don't change the links in a Table of Contents, a redirect is also involved for each link.

3. Glen Kowalski profile image94
    Glen Kowalskiposted 9 years ago

I have no idea why they wouldn't want to include a table of contents.  Sure it may lower the amount of time a user spends on page but it is significantly more useful to the user. 

The link-based TOC is doable but really a bit of a hassle when this could be automated by a hubpages module.  Squidoo fell out of favor with me during the 'great purge' but the TOC was one thing they did do very well.

Many Hubbers would prefer an automated option for creating the TOC and it has been suggested many times before.  Right now, HP isn't going to provide one.

Glen Kowalskiposted 9 years agoin reply to this

well maybe if we continue to clamor for one they will listen-or shut down the forums one big_smile

They do listen.  But, the decision is theirs to make.

Of course it is.  Just a bit of sarcasm/humor for the morning..the more I post the more you will figure out that I have a dry sense of humor and love sarcasm-but not in a bad way.

big_smile

2. relache profile image73
          relacheposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Feel free to clamour.  Don't expect results.  Just saying...

In the meantime, given that the instructions are everywhere, a lot of us have hand-built our own TOCs.  Just like we did on Squidoo during the years before they built the tool for lazy people.

I resemble that lazy remark big_smile  Seriously I will have to start doing it manually I think.  But I still reserve the right to whine and #@#@ because I can big_smile

4. profile image0
    Ally Lewisposted 9 years ago

Readers could do it the old-fashioned way and just Ctrl+F... smile

1. lobobrandon profile image87
      lobobrandonposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That's the best way. Why do you call it old fashioned wink

1. profile image0

Sometimes "old-fashioned" and "best" are synonymous big_smile

2. Lionrhod profile image78

Only if they know specifically what they're looking for.

1. profile image0

I'm sure they could search the words that brought them to the site in the first place. Like keywords they're looking for in the article. But you're right.

1. Lionrhod profile image78

IMO a TOC isn't just to let people know exactly where on your page to find the keyword that brought them there. While it can do that, a well designed TOC will give them an overview of your hub; an idea of whether or not it is likely to answer the question they originally had. It can entice them into spending their valuable time with you, rather than going on to the next search option.

As an example:  Let's say I'm looking for information about a particular herb. Maybe I want to figure out if it's safe to use on my dog.

The first page I find turns out to be a long list of herbs. No TOC so I don't know where to look. In this case I do a keyword search and eventually learn that "dog" and the particular herb I was looking for are both on the page, but nowhere associated with each other. I close the page, somewhat miffed that Google wasted my time.

The second page has a TOC. It's so full of chemical jargon that I know it's not going to help because I'll spend more time translating than finding the information I need. I close the page, but am grateful to the author for immediately letting me know I'm in the wrong place.

The third page has a TOC. This one clearly states "Safety for Pets" as one of their subjects. Awesome. I immediately go to the section I need, get my information. Then depending on the page, I might stick around to read more. I probably bookmark the page to come back to also. And I'll probably check back to this author's site when I'm looking for information on other herbs, just to see if they have something on that.

Since I never want to rely on just one source where the safety of my dog is concerned, I then go to another page. This page also has a TOC. There's nothing in it concerning Pet Safety, however there is another subject that I find myself intrigued in. Even though this page doesn't have the information I was looking for, I stick around to read.

5. lobobrandon profile image87
    lobobrandonposted 9 years ago

Additionally, when I do it personally, I'm free to name the contents the way I want to. It doesn't have to be the same as the module heading.

This is a great point and I hope, if HP ever decides to offer an automated TOC, that HP would provide the choice as well.  The wording on TOC  links can be very good for SEO if you use keyword phrases.

6. Marisa Wright profile image84
    Marisa Wrightposted 9 years ago

Here's the Feature Suggestions thread:
    http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/121701#post2581848

7. profile image0
    julieannbradyposted 9 years ago

I'm old-fashioned, very ambitious, and not lazy. But I vote for the TOC feature with the ability to "x" out capsules not to appear. I've got some lengthy hubs and was accustomed to pointing out specific locations for my readers.

As an aside, is there a capsule like the one we had at the big S, "the most important thing" I think it was called where you could put in a link to a module. That would be a nice feature.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)