jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

A revamped lens, Baez versus Dylan: does it work?

1. Paul Ward profile image78
    Paul Wardposted 2 years ago

I'd be grateful for critique from the knowledgeable people here on this - it was a Squidoo lens and I'm not sure it translates well to Hubpages.  Any suggestions for improvement are welcomed!

http://paulward.hubpages.com/hub/joan-b … -bob-dylan

1. Robin profile image
      Robinposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Hi, Paul!  Welcome to HubPages!  Great Hub/lens.  smile  I suggest instead of linking to youtube, insert a video capsule so readers don't have to go back and forth to youtube to watch your videos.  I think it will look a lot cleaner, less link heavy, and will keep readers engaged with your page.  Your Hub's a great addition to HubPages.  Thanks for taking the time to improve it!  smile

1. Paul Ward profile image78
        Paul Wardposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Hi Robin, thank you, and thank you for checking the page.

I was trying for the direct "head to head" idea (the display was pictorial and more obvious as a lens) and was also worried about loading with twenty Youtube modules.  I was wondering about adding target=_blank to each but I'd heard it was frowned upon on Hubpages?

1. Robin profile image
          Robinposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Sorry, what's a direct "head to head" idea? It may increase load time, but I think the benefit of having the videos directly in the Hub outweighs a slight increase in load time.  Too many links, even if they are to a trusted domain, look spammy and your Hub is not spammy!  It's incredibly useful!  I would use the video capsule and insert the videos.  It think it will look great!  I like how you only added two products that are well placed and relevant, too.  smile

2. robertzimmerman2 profile image81
    robertzimmerman2posted 2 years ago

That is a very interesting read and I like the short polls. As a new Hubber myself I don't have any suggestions but I know you will continue to give us great Hubs!

3. rebekahELLE profile image92
    rebekahELLEposted 2 years ago

I think viewers would love having the videos on the page instead of clicking off to YT, which some of them won't bother to do, especially if they're using a mobile device.
    If you don't want to display each video, you can leave a link, but I would definitely use the video capsules and place them to the right of the text about each song.  You could use one full size video for each performer, perhaps one after your intro and one to close the hub, or place one half way to give a break in the format.

It's a great, informative hub.  Videos will enhance the experience for your viewers.

4. Paul Ward profile image78
    Paul Wardposted 2 years ago

Revamped to incorporate the several suggestions - it does look better.

Thanks to all who've looked and  critiqued.

working