jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (14 posts)

Call out capsule

1. jodijoyous profile image61
    jodijoyousposted 2 years ago

Some of my lenses had "black boxes" on Squidoo, which are now callout capsules on Hubpages.  In some cases, quotes or other information didn't transfer properly.  I would like to add new callouts to fix that, but I can't see a way to do it.  Am I missing something? Or has that not been added to the capsule list yet?

2. relache profile image87
    relacheposted 2 years ago

Callouts are currently only available "as is," meaning if you have one, that's the only way to get one.  They do not "exist" on HubPages as a general feature.

If you delete them from a Hub, you cannot replace them.  You can edit them, however, so I suggest you just fix them

jodijoyousposted 2 years ago in reply to this

The transition FAQ says they will be supported.

http://hubpages.com/squidoo/faq

"There are several Squidoo Modules that do not exist or appear differently on HubPages. We are building support for some (e.g., Callouts and Quotes) "

I suppose that could mean "we will build support to display them" or "we will build support to create them."

Perhaps someone on staff can clarify which one they intended.

3. relache profile image87

They are supported in that they came over instead of being outright deleted, like what happened to some other modules.  But they are not supported as something new that anyone can add where they didn't exist before.

Well, I do hope they consider it.  They look good (imho) and they're a good way to break up large blocks of text.

1. vitar profile image78
        vitarposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Exactly my thoughts!

4. relache profile image87

Paul Edmondson said HubPages wants to see how they perform.

5. Ann Hinds profile image84
    Ann Hindsposted 2 years ago

It's nice to hear they're looking at them. I use them all the time and have been very happy with the look they give my articles. There is some text that just won't do in a text box.

6. Paula Atwell profile image80
    Paula Atwellposted 2 years ago

In the meantime, you can still edit the ones you currently have.

7. makingamark profile image77
    makingamarkposted 2 years ago

Dear HubPages management

I would dearly love to have the option back to create BRAND NEW CALLOUTS.

The reason being they are absolutely invaluable for splitting up hubs into sections and giving clear navigation guidance to people as to which bit they're in.

Plus I'd love to be able to add in new quotes to existing hubs and use the same excellent format for quotes - and the scope to add quotes into as yet undeveloped hubs which have come across as WIP.

Any chance of getting these in the future?

^^What she said.

2. A-FibFacts profile image79
      A-FibFactsposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I strongly agree about the need for Callouts.

8. Greekgeek profile image96
    Greekgeekposted 2 years ago

I like Paul's idea of using the imported lenses as a test platform for features that Hubpages isn't sure whether to adopt.

One of the things I love most about Hubpages is that articles look so much cleaner. My mother (a small sample size) often complained about the visual clutter of Squidoo as it got more and more decorative and busy. We all played the game and got used to it, but  I'm hoping Squids will let Hubpages shake up our assumptions and encourage us to try out Hubpages' way of doing things before we beg for Hubpages to turn itself into Squidoo.

...only because we know what happened to Squidoo.

Probably the callouts had nothing to do with Squidoo's woes, even if they did irritate my few guinea pigs who looked at my lenses, but I am glad that Hubpages is going to do testing first, to make sure.

1. Paula Atwell profile image80
      Paula Atwellposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Yes, what GG said smile

working