jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

Transforming Lenses into Hubs

1. GollyGearHope profile image84
    GollyGearHopeposted 2 years ago

I have to admit a little trepidation when I first found out about the transition from Squidoo to Hubpages. I've had a different HubPages account for several years, with only a few Hubs in it, but I was familiar with the rules and quality assessment process.
    I rather dreaded the thought of bringing 117 lenses into compliance with Hub rules, and waiting for them to transfer was rather a nail-biting experience. When they did come over, the long line of little red "violation" skulls was a bit intimidating.
    It's going to take a little while to get all of them "up to snuff" - but I'm actually enjoying the process of reading, updating, editing, and just freshening up each article.
    I think it's been good for me to look at my work with different, "HubPages" eyes.
    And I'm very, very glad I have four months to get it all done!

1. 0
      sheilamyersposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Welcome to HP. From what I hear, HP is a little stricter but I'm sure you'll do fine. If you need any help, don't be afraid to ask questions here or in the answers section. There are a lot of great folks who are willing to help.

1. lisavollrath profile image89
        lisavollrathposted 2 years ago in reply to this

As a transplant from Squidoo myself, I don't find things stricter here. I do find things to be better documented, and clearer here, which is a welcome change.

There is an emphasis on length of content here that we didn't have at Squidoo. I've enjoyed the process of expanding articles on topics about which I could keep writing all day, and look forward to revisiting all that old content with fresh eyes and additional ideas.

On the flip side, I find the emphasis on length oppressive when it comes to bringing my recipes up to HubPages standards. I am one of those people who daily scrolls past all the errant crap people write on recipe pages, to get to the important stuff: ingredients and instructions. It sort of irks me to now have to turn my nice, concise recipes into long pages that will pass the word count quota here.

2. GollyGearHope profile image84
    GollyGearHopeposted 2 years ago

So far, so good! I spent quite a chunk of time reading the forums and exploring before "diving in!" Thanks so much!