jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (8 posts)

How do I properly credit PhotoPin photos?

1. Valerie Bloom profile image88
    Valerie Bloomposted 2 years ago

I'm just getting my Hub-legs as I'm making my way over from Squidoo, and I appreciate your help.

It seems that I have to fix a lot of photo credits that did not format correctly in the transition. (Drat!)

Most of the images that are not my own I have gotten from PhotoPin. PhotoPin makes it nice and easy to give proper credit by providing a blurb to copy and paste. This blurb contains HTML to guide people to 3 different web pages: The artist's photo page, PhotoPin's homepage, and a terms of use page. Here's an example:
    massdistraction via photopin cc

Sadly, this does not seem to fit into HubPage's photo module. I can use the web address for the artist in the "Source URL" field, and I can have non-linked text saying "Artist Name via PhotoPin" in the caption area. But that does not fully comply with PhotoPin's terms of use, which indicates their official photo credit must be used.

So the question is: How do I properly and legally give photo credit for PhotoPin pictures?

Thanks so much!
    Valerie

1. Writer Fox profile image79
      Writer Foxposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Most of those photos are from Flickr.  It's easier just to credit Flickr with the photo giving the URL and the credit information in the spaces provided in the photo capsule. Also, you can have more than two links to Flickr on a Hub, which is probably not true for PhotoPin.

1. lisavollrath profile image93
        lisavollrathposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Flickr does not create art or photos. The correct way to credit anything there that allows use is to the artist who created the image, using whatever crediting formula listed on the photo. For example, my images would be credited Lisa Vollrath/Creative Commons.

Edited to add:

According to this article in the Learning Center, my corrected attribution for an image with a Creative Commons commercial license on Flickr would be Lisa Vollrath, CC-BY, via Flickr

http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/legal-image-use

Yeah, that's what I meant by "giving the URL and the credit information ."

There's more information here:
          http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/legal-image-use

2. lisavollrath profile image93
      lisavollrathposted 2 years ago in reply to this

The art listed on Photo Pin was not created by Photo Pin, or even licensed to them. They are simply aggregating photos from other sites that have a Creative Commons license.

The correct way to credit a photo is always directly to the artist or photographer responsible for creating the work. Click through the thumbnail on Photo Pin, find the originating artist's name, check the rights restrictions, and credit them appropriately.

2. Valerie Bloom profile image88
    Valerie Bloomposted 2 years ago

Thanks for your responses! I did read the learning center information a while back but felt uneasy about not having the "official" HTML credit. But what you're suggesting makes sense -- link to the work on the internet with plain text to cite the author and source. Much appreciated!

If you link from the text capsule, check the "affiliate" to give it a NoFollow link:

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/10125015.jpg

This will tell Google not to distribute your Hub's PageRank to the photo site.  It also tells Google that you are aware that the content on the photo link is not relevant to the content of your Hub.  (Unfortunately, the option is not available if you put the link in the photo capsule.)

3. psycheskinner profile image80
    psycheskinnerposted 2 years ago

If you wish to credit in that format you can put a text box under the photo.

working