jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (14 posts)

Stolen photographs on a Hub

1. GollyGearHope profile image85
    GollyGearHopeposted 2 years ago

I saw a hub that uses photographs stolen from my website - I know because I took the pictures and one of them is my dog. I have reported, flagged, this hub three times now - once from this account and twice from my other hub account. I even included links to the pages where the original pictures are featured. What do I need to do to get my content off someone else's hub?

1. psycheskinner profile image79
      psycheskinnerposted 2 years ago in reply to this

If flagging the hub has not worked after a few days (staff are very busy right now) trying emailing support directly.

2. GollyGearHope profile image85
      GollyGearHopeposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Just read this in the link:

"When NOT to Report Hubs
      "When an image has been used in violation of copyright (we cannot typically verify this, so it is up to each Hubber to ensure he or she is using images properly and to accept the legal ramifications of violating others' copyright)""

So if I'm reading this correctly, HubPages isn't going to do anything about it anyway. And since the Hubber hasn't been active - there's absolutely nothing I can do, other than track him down and sue him? That seems a bit unfair. Duplicate text is removed immediately, but HubPages won't protect our photos?

1. Marisa Wright profile image93
        Marisa Wrightposted 2 years ago in reply to this

That advice is for Hubbers, not for the copyright owner.   I may notice that a Hubber has photographs which appear to be stolen, but unless I'm the copyright owner, there's no point in me reporting it because HP doesn't have the resources to do the investigation.   

If you as copyright owner do the reporting, that's a different story - but you should make it clear in your report that they are YOUR photos and you are filing a claim under DMCA provisions.

2. Writer Fox profile image79
        Writer Foxposted 2 years ago in reply to this

That's about reporting another Hub.  You should file a DMCA as I explained above.  Use that email and not the report button.  HP will remove the Hub because I've filed DMCA notices here before and they worked!

copyright@hubpages.com with the subject line "DMCA Complaint".

2. lisavollrath profile image93
    lisavollrathposted 2 years ago

Barring a response by a staff member to this post, I would do the same thing I'd do if those photos showed up on some other site: file a DMCA complaint.

Here is the page with instructions for filing a complaint against a hub:
    http://hubpages.com/help/copyright_infringement

1. Writer Fox profile image79
      Writer Foxposted 2 years ago in reply to this

The is the correct advise.  File a formal DMCA with the correct wording and the Hub should be removed within a few hours. Always do it this way.  (Emails about photos on Hubs are ignored: http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/how- … p-hubpages)

P.S.: You must be the copyright owner for the DMCA to work.

Thank you - will do!

3. GollyGearHope profile image85

Now I get it! Thanks all for your help. I'll work the proper channels and I'm sure it will get resolved. Much appreciated!

4. GollyGearHope profile image85

Just wanted to thank everyone for the help.
    I submitted the DMCA notice to HubPages as my "real" self - owner of the copyright, and the offending Hub was quickly removed.
    Thank you very much!

1. misterhollywood profile image90
      misterhollywoodposted 2 years ago in reply to this

GollyGearHope,

Interesting question and one that has me wondering ... did you write the hub author and get no response? If that is the case, that is terrible.

The author didn't respond - apparently hasn't been active on HubPages for quite a while.

5. LindaSmith1 profile image59
    LindaSmith1posted 2 years ago

That is so stupid.  There are tons baby, dog, cats, etc pics for free without copyright infringement.

6. misterhollywood profile image90
    misterhollywoodposted 2 years ago

That REALLY stinks ... thanks for the follow up. I would be just as upset as you by the way.

working