jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Strange Characters

1. Isabella Snow profile image88
    Isabella Snowposted 9 years ago

This isnt a new problem but today was the first I saw it in another hub, so I wanted to ask if this can be fixed, cos I dont understand whats causing it. I create the text for my hubs in Word and then copy/paste to the hub thingy. But if I dont delete/retype the symbols (dashes, colons, etc) in hubpages itself, the text shows up screwy in google searches and email. It shows these bizarre symbols instead of normal symbols.

And its not just me - here's an example from Kenny's latest hub (http://hubpages.com/hub/Color-Part-6-Or … -and-Brown).

““Orange is red brought nearer to humanity by yellow.” –

It should be: “Orange is red brought nearer to humanity by yellow.”

(Kenny, you can fix that by editing it, just delete and retype.)

Im not using a foreign keyboard and my OS is English as well - so this cant just be because im in a foreign country, I have my keyboard set to QWERTY just like yall do, too. And I have had this problem on both Mac and PC.

Can it be fixed maybe?? It doesnt affect the hub itself, it just affects the way it appears in google..

Thanks! smile

2. SunSeven profile image63
    SunSevenposted 9 years ago

I think it is the quotes that is causing this problem. Its been around for a long time now. Perhaps its time to fix it?! smile

3. Isabella Snow profile image88

In the case of Kenny's hub, its the quotes - but the problem is with all symbols. In my hubs its apostrophes, dashes and colons.

I hope it's time to fix it, too.  smile

4. Misha profile image75
    Mishaposted 9 years ago

Disable "smart quotes" and other crap replacements in Word, this should do the trick...

tools-> autocorrect-> "autoformat as you type" tab

5. Isabella Snow profile image88

Ok, Misha, I'll try that, thanks!

working