jump to last post 1-13 of 13 discussions (32 posts)

What is the minimum word count for HubPages articles?

1. Ceres Schwarz profile image12
    Ceres Schwarzposted 2 years ago

I was thinking of splitting an article into 2 or even 3 different hubs because it was too long. How many words should our articles have before we can publish them on HubPages? I checked the HubPages FAQ page but the only word count listed there refers to the total number of words that an article has.

1. SpaceShanty profile image92
      SpaceShantyposted 2 years ago in reply to this

As dwelburn said, 700 - 1250 words is best.  Splitting atricles into 2 or 3 Hubs won't be beneficial.

Ceres Schwarzposted 2 years ago in reply to this

What do you mean by saying that it won't be beneficial? The article in question has more than 2000 words. It seemed way too long so I thought of splitting it into at least 2 hubs.

Google likes content, a page with more content (words) will do better than one with less.  I have one Hub with over 8000 words, use a Table of contents to make it easier for visitors to find the information they looking for on your page.

Here is a good Hub about making a table of content http://darkside.hubpages.com/hub/tableofcontents

Thanks but I already know about this article. I've read it; it's very helpful and I do have some hubs with table of contents too. Most of my articles here have more than the suggested 1250 words. I just wanted to know if there was a minimum word count.

No, there is no minimum, but as I said before, Google likes content and is more likely to display a simliar longer article to a shorter one.

2. relache profile image87
      relacheposted 2 years ago in reply to this

The important thing to remember here is that you can either do some sort of minimal job making Hubs, or not.

http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/Elem … tellar-Hub

Thanks for the link but I already read that article. That's what I try to do for my hubs here. I was just wondering if there was a minimum word count because the article I wanted to publish had more than 2000 words and it seemed to be too long so I thought of splitting it up.

1. spartucusjones profile image91
          spartucusjonesposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I was just checking my traffic for my top 5 Hubs over the past 30 days. My #1 hub was 687 words, but the other four hubs were 1837-2791 words, with two of them being over 2000. So personally I don't see a big issue with having a hub over 2000 words. That being said two Hubs of a 1000 words each can also do well has long has you make sure they are both stand alone Hubs.

Thanks for sharing this. It's good to know that even short hubs can do well. Yes, I am planning to split the article but they will be stand-alone articles so there will be no part 1, part 2, etc.

3. Marisa Wright profile image93
      Marisa Wrightposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Paul Edmonson (HubPages founder) says they've done research and found the optimum maximum  length is around 1250 words.  Beyond that, there's no additional benefit in terms of traffic, so it's better to look at splitting your content over two Hubs (provided that can be done sensibly).   So I'd say you are on the right track.

Thanks for the information. It's good to know if there are any traffic benefits to having a short or long article. I split up the hub already. One still ended up with more than 1250 words. The other has less than that but I'll probably end up adding more words to it since I still need to fix that other hub.

2. dwelburn profile image97
    dwelburnposted 2 years ago

There is no specified minimum, but they like them to have at least 700 words. 1250 is thought to be optimum in terms of getting traffic (i.e. more than 1250 may get more traffic, but not more traffic per word).

Oh, I see. Thanks. I thought there was a minimum word count. I saw the 700-1250 in the "need some goals?" section of hubs but wasn't sure if the 700 was the required minimum.

3. LindaSmith1 profile image62
    LindaSmith1posted 2 years ago

I do hubs with at least 400 words and they pass.

Thanks for sharing that. The article in question has more words than that so even splitting it into 2 or 3, I'd still end up with more than 400 words though it would be less than a thousand. Guess it's okay then.

4. LindaSmith1 profile image62

You can split articles into several depending on the topic you are writing about.  If you are doing one that will turn into a Part One, Part Two, etc, you will lose reader after Part One. Most will not continue a series.

Thanks. It won't be a series of articles with part 1, part 2, etc. though the articles will be related since they have the same topic but each of them will be discussing a different aspect of that topic.

5. dwelburn profile image97
    dwelburnposted 2 years ago

It's good to split it if you can do it as two separate but related topics. Not just Title - Part 1 and Title - Part 2.

Thank you. This is what I'm planning to do. It won't be part 1, part 2, etc.

1. rebekahELLE profile image91
        rebekahELLEposted 2 years ago in reply to this

You can also link the hubs together which is helpful for the reader and yourself, as it can increase views.
        I have a few hubs that have over 2000 words.  Depending on the topic and the uniqueness of the hub, wordy hubs can rank very well because there's more content from which search engines can answer a query.  Most of my hubs are in the 1200-1500 range.  One that has 2479 is ranked at the top for a search phrase and appeals to a very targeted audience.

Thank you. I interlink my related hubs too and I use the HubPages groups feature too. A lot of my hubs here also have more than the suggested 1250 words. I just thought of splitting up this particular article since it felt like there was more to say about different aspects of this topic.

2. abidareacode profile image51
        abidareacodeposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Is it allowed to put articles with same title ?

6. lovebuglena profile image92
    lovebuglenaposted 2 years ago

I don't think there really is a minimum word count but if you are gonna publish something I'd make it over the 700 word count as suggested when you are in the create hub stage. There is nothing wrong with having a very lengthy hub so long as the content doesn't bore or overwhelm the reader.

7. LindaSmith1 profile image62

I think the best thing to do, is to not worry about word count.  Write a quality hub that gives the message that you want to give. When finished, then check your word count to see if it is too low or not.  I have some that when I did this, and checked, I had word counts over 1200 words, which surprised me because I really didn't think they were that long.

Thanks. Actually, that's what I do too. I just write the article then fix it up later (like editing, proofreading, adding images, etc). It was after I finished writing this article that I saw that it had over 2000 words so I thought of splitting it up into two or so hubs.

8. celebassistant profile image83
    celebassistantposted 2 years ago

I'm somewhat new to HB, but there's no question that the longer word counts helps with you score.  I've done 700 and 1200 words, and the longer the hub with more pics equals a higher score and longer feature times.

9. LindaSmith1 profile image62

How did you reach that conclusion celebassistant.  One hub can be 90 today, and 75 tomorrow.

10. Solaras profile image89
    Solarasposted 2 years ago

Crazyhorsesghost said that 1500 was his optimum word target, and that he got the best results on those hubs.  Given that he says he has a hub with 12,000 views a day, I would give that some credence.

From my own experience, 1500 words does do well.  I tend to have lengthy posts at near 2000 words, and those do well in both pageviews and hub score.  My shorter articles 600 -700 words get less in both departments.

11. brakel2 profile image87
    brakel2posted 2 years ago via iphone

I agree. My shorter hubs have lower scores and less traffic generally. The scores do not fluctuate much any more. The last statement is a fairly recent occurrence.

12. LindaSmith1 profile image62

One of my lowest Hub scores is a hub that contains 1110 words.  This hub is on an important topic.  Yet, a hub about Bubblews with 1200 words, no photos, no videos, ranks higher than the other one that has images and a video.

Bottom line is we don't know how our hubs are scored, why one ranks high and another is at the bottom of the pile.

13. LindaSmith1 profile image62

abidareacode: After being here for six years, you already know that you cannot duplicate titles when you start a new hub because HP does not allow duplicate URLS. 

You can change titles of your hubs at anytime, but the URL will never change.

working