jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)

Question on the "follow" vs "nofollow" attributes of outgoing links.

1. 0
    julieannbradyposted 2 years ago

I've been reading a bit throughout various forum threads about hubscore determining whether the links on your hubs are follow or nofollow. I think I've read where the hubscore had to be at least 85 previously, but now it must be 84 or better? Is that correct?

What I am wondering on our imported Squidoo lenses. Weren't all outgoing links on our lenses automatically changed to the "nofollow" attributes? As I have been moving the content of my deleted lenses, I have noticed "nofollow" on all links. I guess I didn't realize that every outgoing link had been changed for me on the lens content.

Will the "nofollow" attributes suddenly fall off our links on our imported hubs once the hubscore reaches the magic number OR do we need to manually fix that code.

1. pauldeeds profile image
      pauldeedsposted 2 years ago in reply to this

It happens automatically when your scores change.  However, we do recommend marking affiliate and untrusted links specifically as nofollow in the text capsule.

2. 0

Paul, thanks for that speedy response! It's good to know that it is an automatic type change to the coding - I didn't know that, obviously! I must also admit, that a few years back, some Squidoo lensmasters were heavily engaged in discussions about "nofollow" and that I truly didn't follow all that discussion, although I made a mental note to try and understand all the ramifications of it.

1. Marisa Wright profile image92
      Marisa Wrightposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Julieann, the automatic "no follow/do follow" only affects you if you're using Hubs to promote your own website or blog.   

When you link to your blog from a Hub, you're providing a link for real readers to follow, but you're also raising the blog's reputation with Google (Google sees it as a vote of confidence).   But if that link is "no follow", Google doesn't rate it.  So if that's important to you, it will be important to get your scores up so those links stay "do follow".  Otherwise, it doesn't really matter.

3. Fiorenza profile image82
    Fiorenzaposted 2 years ago

Marisa, the reason ex-Squids are interested is that one of the changes on Squidoo, that began around Feb 2013, was to make all links off site no follow, not just promotional ones.  Anything linked to, to provide the reader with more information, and not your own site/blog, had to be no follow.  Sounds as if we don't have to worry so much about that here.

Some webmasters believe that's a good thing to do, to prevent your page's reputation from "leaking".  That's a different issue.

4. Ilonagarden profile image84
    Ilonagardenposted 2 years ago

I'm still not sure I understand when it is best to use "no follow", but this question/answer helps somewhat. I'll need to go back over all my hubs in the future to clear up loose ends like this.

For now, with all the work of adjusting lenses into hubs, I'm not paying much attention to things like that. I really appreciate the added info for future updating though!

It's not a huge deal.   It's best to "no follow" affiliate links.  Other than that, you would "no follow" any links to untrustworthy sites - but then, you wouldn't be linking to them anyway, would you!

2. Writer Fox profile image81
      Writer Foxposted 2 years ago in reply to this
  5. 0

Well, it sure is interesting to follow all the info on "nofollow" ... I found it curious that in early August I got an email from a person who made a point of giving me all his contact/credential information. Then, he said I was linking to a page on a website he was affiliated with and the page was no longer there. He insisted that I remove the link. It was strange that he wasn't "interested" that I would still want to link to his related site in my lens. It happens to be a lens that I still have ... now as a hub. But, I do not link to that website. Just found that curious for some reason!