jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (18 posts)

What photo images are in violation of Hub Pages Rules.

1. LindaSmith1 profile image60
    LindaSmith1posted 2 years ago

I understand Creative Commons and so forth.  The question is about the Free photos that are allowed for commercial use, but they have ISTOCK across the image?  ISTOCK is one of several places for free images that do this. Are photos, images like that permitted?

2. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 2 years ago

If you mean istockphoto images that are watermarked they are not free to use.  They are samples to allow people to decide with photo to buy. When istockphoto release a picture for free they remove the watermark.

On top of that watermarks are generally not permitted--except in unspecified circumstances where they are--but we still haven't had a real explanation of that as far as I know.

3. LindaSmith1 profile image60

Yet, they have Free images that allow Free download, yet have istock across those too.  Oh I know many are Free to look at, until you want to use them then the definition of Free changes.

1. Writer Fox profile image78
      Writer Foxposted 2 years ago in reply to this

"Royalty Free" does not mean "free."  Royalty free means that you don't have to keep paying every time you use the image.  Do you have a link to something on istockphoto that is actually free?
      http://www.istockphoto.com/plans-and-pricing

2. psycheskinner profile image82
      psycheskinnerposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I am an istock photographer and I am pretty sure this is not correct.  But feel free to link me to the webpage where istock gives away watermarked pictures and I will change my mind.

4. LindaSmith1 profile image60

Yes here is one of many that allow free download: http://www.istockphoto.com/photo/golden … st=e54c02a

5. LindaSmith1 profile image60

Okay, when I went back and clicked on FREE DOWNLOAD, the TRUTH is exposed.

1. psycheskinner profile image82

Where is "free download"?  I saw "download" and it linked to prices. The photo you linked to costs 1 credit/$15. I just am not seeing what you say is there.

2. Writer Fox profile image78

Once you are a member (by purchasing credits)  there are some free photos offered.  But, you can't get the free photos until you've dropped some $$$ on the site.
      http://www.stockphotosecrets.com/free-p … photo.html

6. LindaSmith1 profile image60

psycheskinner:  Once you click on Free Download, a page with costs comes up.  So, the photos are not Free as they claim.

1. psycheskinner profile image82

Also what is actually says is "download this photo" the word "free" appears in only one place, their "toll free" phone number. 

So, yeah, the answer is you can;t use them for two reasons, they are watermarked and they are not free.

7. LindaSmith1 profile image60

I put in Free photos, and they all do the same thing.  They want you to believe the photos are free and so is the download.

8. LindaSmith1 profile image60

Gotcha WF: I don't like images with writing on them anyway.  But this is one way for people who use these images to get in trouble, since they don't have to use the download button. They can do a simple click and save.

9. LindaSmith1 profile image60

psycheskinner: There a lot of these sites that come up when you search for free photos, but they have a watermark which I didn't think we could use, but forgot.  So when you put free photos in their browser and photos come up, you think they are free, but they are not.  So many of us are use to just hitting save image, that we don't bother with Download buttons.  I see these on Flickr, MorgueFile, Pixabay.  Dreamstime and istock are famous for misleading people.
    I get msgs every day from istock about Free photos!!

1. Writer Fox profile image78

MorgueFile and Pixabay really are free photo sites and they do not require attribution.

However, both of those sites also feature ads from sites which are not free and those photos cost money.  The way those two sites are now configured, it's easy to click on the image in an ad instead of one from the selections of free ones.

10. Arachnea profile image86
    Arachneaposted 2 years ago

I get quite a few great images from Morguefile from their free options. Wikimedia Commons is next. I have gotten a few great free images from Flickr, but have to be careful about the requirements to use for free.

11. LindaSmith1 profile image60

Arachnea: On Flickr, it is easy.  Use advanced search.  Check off boxes that you want.  At the very bottom you see Creative Commons: Check off  Only search within Creative Commons Licensed content
    And: Check off : Find content to use commercially.

Not all Creative commons can be used commercially which means sites like HP.  Click on the photo, and check out if they want attribution or not. I usually give attribution whether they ask for it or not out of courtesy for allowing me to use their images.

12. lisavollrath profile image94
    lisavollrathposted 2 years ago

Stock photography does not mean free photography. In the same way we expect to be paid to write, photographers expect to be paid for photographs. The "free" in free stock photography means royalty-free: once you purchase the photo, you are free to use it, according to the license, without paying royalties each time.

Don't waste your time searching for free photos. Search for photos that have a Creative Commons license, and allow commercial use. Your selection will be limited. The alternative is to shoot your own photos.

working