jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (14 posts)

Quiz capsule requires Flash

1. Glenn Stok profile image96
    Glenn Stokposted 2 years ago

A couple of issues…

The Quiz capsule does not work on the Apple iPad. It's just white-space in the entire space where it would display. I'm using iOS 6.1.2 on my iPad.

The "Get This Widget" link is useful for allowing people to place the quiz on other sites. This can bring extra traffic to hubs that have a quiz capsule. But that link is useless on mobile devices. I would suggest removing it if the user is on a mobile device. Just keep it for desktop users.

Thanks for looking into this.

1. Matthew Meyer profile image77
      Matthew Meyerposted 2 years ago in reply to this

This capsule requires Flash and as such will not be supported in iOS unless Apple changes something. You may find a 3rd party browser that supports Flash on iOS.

Glenn Stokposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Ahh, that explains it. Thanks, Matt, for the follow-up and explanation.

2. abidareacode profile image50
    abidareacodeposted 2 years ago

I also have a problem. When a quiz capsule is introduced in a hub there sees a blank space under the question which destroys the formatting of the hub.

3. Amanda Severn profile image89
    Amanda Severnposted 2 years ago

I have a quiz hub which has been in place for a number of years. I haven't looked at in quite a while, but I was going back over old hubs today when I discovered that the quiz feature on this particular hub, is no longer working. The quiz is now completely valueless. Should I delete it, or will this feature be restored at some point?

Amanda, Are you looking at your quiz capsule on a mobile device? See Matt's answer above. HubPages is not supporting the quiz capsule for mobile devices that don't have Flash.

Mobile Users without Flash:
      Actually, you make me think of something else now... HubPages has been making it clear that more of our traffic is now coming from mobile users. So it may be necessary to remove quiz capsules if we see this trend continue.

I hope Matt is still monitoring this thread. I'd be curious to hear his thoughts on this.

1. Matthew Meyer profile image77
        Matthew Meyerposted 2 years ago in reply to this

@Glenn
        That is probably a good strategy, as as you mentioned everything online is mobile first anymore.

2. calculus-geometry profile image85
        calculus-geometryposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Before making that call, you could check Google Analytics to see how much of your own subdomain's traffic is from mobile.  My sub has only been about 30% mobile for a while, even though HP as a whole is more than 50% mobile, so for now I'm keeping the few quizzes I have.

Yes, that's a very good point. Traffic source and patterns differ from one person to another.

3. Amanda Severn profile image89
        Amanda Severnposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for your answer, but I was checking it on my pc at home.

Do you have Flash installed?

1. Amanda Severn profile image89
            Amanda Severnposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Possibly not! However, this hub did used to appear on my pc, so something has changed.

You can check to see if you have Flash here…

http://isflashinstalled.com

4. Jacquelyn fuller profile image60
    Jacquelyn fullerposted 2 years ago

I have a apple iphone 4c and you have to pay for everything to make it work!!

working