jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (5 posts)

Titles or Captions for Images

1. Judy Filarecki profile image91
    Judy Filareckiposted 2 years ago

I was wondering which is more effective in getting search engines to connect with images. Do they look at the title, or the caption or both? I'd like to know which is the best for attracting the attention of the search engines.

OOPs. It should read "Titles or Captions  for Images."

1. Writer Fox profile image74
      Writer Foxposted 2 years ago in reply to this

On HubPages, it is best not to put a title on an image capsule and not on every text capsule, either.  The reason is because all capsule titles become H2 tags on HubPages and these should only be used to indicate major sections of your Hub. If you use these indiscriminately, search engines can downgrade your page.

For search engines, the image Caption on HubPages is the Alt Image tag, which isn't a caption at all!  The Alt Image tag should describe what is depicted in your image for people who cannot see it and the tag is used for image searches on the Web. If your image needs a true caption, you have to put it underneath the image in a text capsule.

If you don't know what an H2 Tag or an Alt Image Tag is all about, you can go to my SEO Tutorial Hub and find this section from the Table of Contents: III. A. 3. Meta Tags.  Or, just search on the Internet to learn about them.

1. Judy Filarecki profile image91
        Judy Filareckiposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Thanks. That helps. I do know what the H2 and alt tag means but I think I'll take a look at your tutorial, too. I'm sure I'll find a lot more helpful information.

2. sara0129 profile image66
    sara0129posted 2 years ago

Thanks Writer Fox for clearing this up. Appreciate it.

1. Writer Fox profile image74
      Writer Foxposted 2 years ago in reply to this

You're welcome.  We really need a separate place for the Alt tag, which shouldn't be visible to viewers unless they mouse over the image or the image doesn't load.  I've suggested this before but HP has never changed it.

working