jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

HP has narrowed the width of our hubs.

1. paradigmsearch profile image91
    paradigmsearchposted 2 years ago

Or am I wrong?

I just noticed that a bunch of my purdy 2-line title hubs are now 3-line titles. Checked with latest versions of IE and Firefox I did.

I have no idea when/if this was done.

I'm not particularly perturbed by this. Just thought it was worth commenting on.

Sure is a lot of dead, blank space on both sides of the hub though...

Frankly, I hope I am wrong. No way for me to get them back to 2-line without killing off a keyword.

1. kenneth avery profile image82
      kenneth averyposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I have not noticed, but I appreciate the information very much.

2. RockyMountainMom profile image93
    RockyMountainMomposted 2 years ago

My input on this is very non-universal.  It is hard for me to read articles with too much media already, because of the way text gets squished to one side.

I try to write text that is less block-y when I write about Lyme disease, because so many Lyme patients have neuro symptoms and can't read blocks longer than a line or two. 

I've learned now that this is true with a lot of illnesses because of cognitive function and eye problems.

So the basics regarding avoiding big blocks of text are especially true for those folks.  Even without a newly lessened width, hubs tend to end up with 'squished' feeling text, even with relatively decent paragraph sizes . 

Again, not universal, but an aspect of hub formatting that is already a little harder than it needs to be (we can only make sections so short while still expressing our points and meeting recommended word minimums).

It does seem a shame to have squished text beside so much dead space.  I think I'm less inclined to use those giant  share buttons (though they do look really clean, crisp and accessible now) if my eyes are struggling with the text.

3. Paul Edmondson profile image
    Paul Edmondsonposted 2 years ago

We haven't changed the Hub layout in quite some time, but I hear the comment often that Hubs are too narrow.  We hope to look at doing some design work in 2015.  This will be on the agenda:)

1. paradigmsearch profile image91
      paradigmsearchposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Thank you very much for getting back to me. I understand the methodology. I am reasonably certain that just a few more characters would be better, but I don't have the information resources you do.

4. rebekahELLE profile image91
    rebekahELLEposted 2 years ago

It is rather narrow, except on Editor's Choice hubs.  For some reason on my desktop all EC hubs have larger text and are wider in width site wide.  I asked about it once in the forums, but Matt said they're all the same.  It's kind of strange.