jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (10 posts)

Would love to be able to control the order of hubs on the profile page

1. 0
    julieannbradyposted 2 years ago

Folks, I did a search of the forum before posting this. Some 15 months ago, there was some discussion about this very topic, in that hubbers would like to control the ordering of their hubs on their profile page. I saw a pink message box that told me that discussion was inactive and that I should start my own discussion.

I had been noticing that I see the same hubs in the same spots on my profile page. I know that I can control the feature spotlight with up to 6 rotating hubs. However, I really want to very the list of hubs down below that.

I LOVE the ability to view a group of them by category. Now, can we perhaps have the ability to sort alphabetically or know that the view is creation date? Or perhaps, recently edited, popular, unpopular?

1. Writer Fox profile image81
      Writer Foxposted 2 years ago in reply to this

The Hubs on your Profile are listed in the order of most recently published, going down to first published.  The order can't be changed, unless you unpublish/republish a Hub.

Just above your list of Hubs, you (or anyone) can click on the "Show all" on the grey bar menu and choose from the pull-down menu, and Hubs will be sorted temporarily by Topic categories.

1. Jayne Lancer profile image91
        Jayne Lancerposted 2 years ago in reply to this

You'd actually need to delete the hub and publish a new identical one in order to make it move to the top. Just unpublishing and republishing doesn't change anything as far as order is concerned. The first published dates determine the order.

2. Jayne Lancer profile image91
      Jayne Lancerposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I'd also love the ability to change the order in which my hubs appear on my profile page. I revamped all but eight of my hubs this year, and had to start with the newest and work down so as potential readers would see the revamped, more up-to-date ones first. Perhaps it's nonsense, but I felt having the updated ones at the top would make a better impression for anyone finding my profile page. But the hubs that were most in need of updating were the oldest, and eight of those are still waiting for an update.

In other words, the order in which my hubs appear on my profile page did influence the order in which I updated. Had I been able to rearrange the order, I'd have updated the oldest hubs first, and that would have been the logical and most beneficial way of doing it.

3. Ramkitten2000 profile image93
      Ramkitten2000posted 2 years ago in reply to this

Hey, Julie :-)

You probably know this, but juuuuust in case: If you go to your account, instead of your profile, the order of the hubs defaults to the highest hub score on top and so forth down the line to the lowest (which seems to be of questionable value and interest). But you can click on the other stats along the top to change the sorted order -- click once for one "direction" and then click a second time if you want the order reversed from highest to lowest, most recent to least recent, etc . Of course, that's only for your viewing.

That's not what you were asking, and sorry if someone already pointed this out (I only skimmed the thread), but I thought I'd mention it.

2. relache profile image87
    relacheposted 2 years ago

We used to have different options for displaying things on our profile pages, but those went away a few years back.  Just to let you know, no amount of unsupported discussion ("I want...") in that timeframe has resulted in any changes.

Admin here tends to not do anything just because users say they want it.  You have to make a logical pitch or have stats proving it would make things work better.

1. kerbev profile image76
      kerbevposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I don't think any business worth doing business with doesn't want to hear feedback from their users as to what they want to see. 

I'm not sure why you are so set on discouraging this.

Having tabs on the top of the profile to sort the hubs listed is a good idea.  It improves the usability of the site.

1. Writer Fox profile image81
        Writer Foxposted 2 years ago in reply to this

The Profile pages were changed about two years ago and there were a lot of complaints because Hubbers couldn't display groups of Hubs under Topics, etc.  Complaining didn't help and HP kept the Profiles the way you see them now.

Doesn't mean you can't still complain, though, because sometimes that works!smile

2. relache profile image87
        relacheposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I'm not trying to discourage you.  I'm telling you what has been tried in the past that didn't change anything.

And people just whinging "but I want it," over and over has been among the least-successful strategies ever historically on this site.

I'm saying if someone can prove custom display ordering has has some value other than users playing with the order however they want, we might be able to get admin to go for this.

Besides, admin will not pay any attention to this discussion thread because it was not started in the topic for new feature suggestions.  ...lol...

3. 0
    julieannbradyposted 2 years ago

Ah, I go away for a couple of hours and miss all the fun discussions. I debated where to put this discussion and opted not in feature requests - who knows why; not sure!

I do appreciate the ability to filter my profile view of the hubs by categories - that is a nice concession.

Just guessing that the analytical scientists at Squidoo had a reason for allowing us peeps to sort on title alphabetically and recently published. At one time, I am pretty sure there was a lensrank view. So, my open-ended discussion was to revisit the suggestion especially since I was encouraged this morning to start a new one. --forever hopeful in Jacksonville, FL. Call me.