jump to last post 1-50 of 60 discussions (183 posts)

Sudden Drop In Traffic.

1. Pawpawwrites profile image61
    Pawpawwritesposted 2 years ago

I just noticed that I have a sudden drop in traffic. About 50% or so. Pretty unusual. Anyone else seeing the same?

1. goatfury profile image92
      goatfuryposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I read on another thread that traffic reporting (and maybe earnings) is delayed by as much as a few days.  Haven't seen any corroboration one way or another, and I thought mine were still getting hits, but that's all I know.

Pawpawwritesposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Mine has always been pretty consistent, but took a sudden dive. It was a little discouraging.
        Thanks. I'll have to go see if I can find that other thread.

2. misterhollywood profile image90
        misterhollywoodposted 2 years ago in reply to this
    2. relache profile image87
      relacheposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Is it happening across all your Hubs equally, or is it concentrated on your gardening Hubs?

The worse loss was my oldest hub, which is an evergreen subject. (snakes)

1. relache profile image87
          relacheposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Transferred material is going to bounce for a while, but make sure you update from most-trafficked to least to best preserve flow to your top content.

3. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image93
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 2 years ago in reply to this

This happened to me three weeks ago and gets worse by the day.  It is across all of my hubs and I have been unable to trace the problem as there are no penalties or warnings from Google and some of these articles are appearing on page 1 of  Google without my being signed in and through a different browser.

I have lost approximately 2/3 of my views and just about all of my income...so I know how you feel.  I wish I knew what the problem was, but I cannot seem to narrow it down.  This is more than a "bump" in traffic...it is a disaster!

I've been around long enough to not worry a whole lot about daily fluctuations, but this was an eye opener. It's just so discouraging.

4. Brite-Ideas profile image81
      Brite-Ideasposted 2 years ago in reply to this

most of the squidoo transfers are going through this roller coaster right now - my traffic was through the roof for about 8 days or so, now it's temporarily in the tank - but based on my own past experience when squidoo switched me to sub-domains a few years ago, I did anticipate this - but it's still brutal.  Our pages will have to propagate in search again with Hubpages. Which is fine in the long run, but in the short run, painful.

1. Coffee-Break profile image89
        Coffee-Breakposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I feel the pain. smile

2. MyFairLadyah2 profile image64
        MyFairLadyah2posted 2 years ago in reply to this

My traffic did about the same. Traffic was up nicely on my lens/hubs after the transfer and then it dropped drastically this weekend across all hubs. I am steadily updating my hubs from most to least traffic, especially if there are violations. Many hubs to go.

5. Marisa Wright profile image93
      Marisa Wrightposted 2 years ago in reply to this

It's too soon for anyone to answer your question.   Give it a few days, and if there has been some kind of Google update, you'll see the professional webmasters start reporting and analysing it.   

It's never worth panicking on the basis of one day's change.  If you're relying just on HubPages' stats, then be aware that ALL systems have hiccups, so it could even be a delay in traffic reporting and may all be back to normal tomorrow.

6. Lotus230 profile image59
      Lotus230posted 2 years ago in reply to this

Are you using Google Analytics?

7. Thomas Swan profile image92
      Thomas Swanposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I've not noticed anything. My traffic has gone up by several hundred visitors this week, so I'm over the moon about that!

I've noticed that traffic usually goes down on Friday/Saturday, so maybe that's what you're experiencing.

Another factor might be the time of year. My hubs went down during late July and August because I don't really get summer holiday traffic. Perhaps it's something like that? If you have gardening hubs, maybe write something about how to prepare plants for the winter?

2. Craftypicks profile image80
    Craftypicksposted 2 years ago

No sudden dive here. In fact it went up yesterday a lot. Maybe it is leveling off?

3. LindaSmith1 profile image59
    LindaSmith1posted 2 years ago

Traffic goes up and down faster than I can turn a light switch on and off.

4. DealForALiving profile image80
    DealForALivingposted 2 years ago

I haven't noticed any dips yet. Then again I don't exactly have a ton of readers.

5. Coffee-Break profile image89
    Coffee-Breakposted 2 years ago

My hubs took a huge dive too. It's actually more than 50%.
    Traffic constantly improved from the migration, and now looks like today it's going to be even worst than on Squidoo.

6. BritFlorida profile image63
    BritFloridaposted 2 years ago

Mine have been consistent ever since my articles were transferred from Squidoo (on September 7th). Now, the daily hits are far worse than they used to be on Squidoo.

Let's hope this is just some strange transition period. I went ahead with the transfer because I really thought HP would be better. I hope it's not re-think time sad

1. Brite-Ideas profile image81

I feel you Jackie, it reminds me of the switch at squidoo to subdomains, back then my traffic tanked from about 4000 visits a day to a gawd-foresaken low of about 300 visits a day (I was panicked) - it recovered, but it took time. The numbers here are even worse in terms of the high and the low drop. My drop started last night.

Just about when mine started.

7. Cari Kay 11 profile image93
    Cari Kay 11posted 2 years ago

My pages were doing great and views were going up, up, up.  Then, I think around Thursday or Friday, they started going down, down, down.  I figured they were a novelty here and just got a lot of extra traffic.  But, yesterday they started going up again.  My traffic was very consistent at Squidoo so I'm not quite sure what to make of it.

8. Pawpawwrites profile image61

I hope it is just a weird blip, but if is stays this way for more than a week or so, I might have to take a break, and rethink what I'm doing. I was very enthused, and motivated, since I started writing, and rewriting here. I might slow down, and watch for a while, before I overcommit. I only have so much time to devote to it, so I want to use it wisely.

We will see.

1. neosurk profile image89
      neosurkposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I am also hoping it's just a temporary thing. Mine dropped from 1200 to only about 250 today! At first I thought HubPages stats were wrong, but I checked in Google Analytics, and it shows even less - about 205.

When on Squidoo, my top lens only used to bring about 400 visits per day. Google, what could we do to impress you?

1. sockii profile image88
        sockiiposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Same exact experience here. My post-transfer traffic was climbing fast to about 1,200 -1,300 a day, then started to decline until now it's barely breaking 200. And I've been working very hard to bring all of my transfers out of violations, starting with my most visited ones.

9. David Stone profile image77
    David Stoneposted 2 years ago

Mine were way up right after the transfer, but have been dropping by a lot. I don't think it's all about search though. I have one hub (a transfer) that is 95% dependent on Pinterest with next to nothing from search. It's dropping too. I suspect the huge influx of new material has broken the reporting software, which may explain why we're not getting earnings reports either.

It would be nice is someone official chimed in.

It's not the reporting. The drop is consistent on Google Analytics too.

2. neosurk profile image89

At first, I thought the same. But I checked Google Analytics too, and it reports the drop - mine's down from 1200 to about 250! sad

10. EditPhotos profile image59
    EditPhotosposted 2 years ago

Okay, nice to know I am not alone. 

My Hubpages traffic was way better than it had been on Squidoo and I was getting motivated to edit more lenses!  Then today it just plummeted to way worse than Squidoo and the challenging of updating another 90 lenses seems like a mountain.

The Google Gods have their own ways - we'll see if things bounce back.

11. How to do blog profile image59
    How to do blogposted 2 years ago

If you have useful, unique and quality content then you get increasing traffic otherwise traffic will down. Google always shows those results in the top position by which they can try to satisfy visitors. If your url cannot provide useful content to the visitors so your position cannot be longer at top and you get sudden drop in traffic.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image93

That all sounds good, but in my case I am not a transfer from Squidoo and have worked for three years to gain a presence on Google and was really doing well until, overnight, everything disappeared.  It is very disheartening.

12. Brite-Ideas profile image81
    Brite-Ideasposted 2 years ago

I've been searching to see if there's been a google update - found an article dated Sept 9th from Search Engine Land where it states there are reports from some sources that there may have been a panda refresh the previous Friday - I would put the link to the article here, but I'm not  familiar enough with the forum  rules to know if I can. The reason I'm wondering about a refresh is because some of the sites that I have floated between on the first page of google for my topics/keywords, have also dropped. And it's not like the pages that have moved ahead are gawds-gift to writing. It's as though things have been shuffled.

13. misterhollywood profile image90
    misterhollywoodposted 2 years ago

I'm down too a lot. Not sure what's up but I smell an algorithm change. Now keep in mind one day isn't a good barometer but.... If it goes on for a few days. Did Panda start crawling around and nipping at sites?

14. Brite-Ideas profile image81
    Brite-Ideasposted 2 years ago

yep, just read a few articles and it appears there could have been a panda refresh on sept 5th (although it's not carved in stone, the belief is that it happened, and one article it said 'get ready' for possibly another this month (based on what I don't know) - misterhollywood, I smell an algorithm change too

1. misterhollywood profile image90

I just read an article too that mentioned September 5 as a Panda update. If I recall. It can take a few weeks for the algorithmic shock waves to travel across the Google universe. We will all have to keep an eye on it. For now, I'm going to simply say..,, Noooooooooooooo! smile

15. Knightmare Golem profile image95
    Knightmare Golemposted 2 years ago

I've seen some significant drops in my hubs as well, but I'm betting that it's in large part from school starting.  If there was a Google change as well it would be good to know.

16. Susana S profile image91
    Susana Sposted 2 years ago

One thing that's worth thinking about is enabling Editors Choice on your account. EC hubs seem to have stronger immunity to Google's algo changes....which makes sense.

17. Suzanne Day profile image97
    Suzanne Dayposted 2 years ago

I had a couple of severe traffic dips too over the past few weeks, but they came back stronger after each dip (lasting about 2 days). All I can guess beside algorithms is that maybe it has something to do with the new content. Ie., Google is still feeling out what the site is doing rather than shooting HP to the top expert category. When a site adds massive amounts of pages, Google doesn't know what to think, whether to push more traffic to it or whether to sandbox it....quantcast levels are looking quite optimistic though: https://www.quantcast.com/hubpages.com

Plus having new content on the same site on similar themes might result in some ranking irregularity as Google decided who the new ranking "winner" is out of two very similar hubs. We might have subdomains but we still have "hubpages" in our urls and it may be possible Google might not want to show two "hubpages" urls in search (just guessing here).

18. David Stone1 profile image68
    David Stone1posted 2 years ago

Because my transferred hub that is dependent almost entirely on Pinterest referrals, not search, is sinking just like everything else and since this seems to involve mostly ex-lenses, I think we have to consider the possibility that something is amiss in the 301 transfers. Maybe things are getting scrambled as Squidoo hands off the HP. I can't think of anything else that explains the universal experience of decline, no matter what the traffic source.

1. Suzanne Day profile image97
      Suzanne Dayposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Well that would make sense, if Pinterest traffic for you is amiss.

2. Coffee-Break profile image89

I too suspected some sort of problem with the redirects, but I tested a few lenses and they all looked fine. Could it be the redirect from the "best of" that was played with? I don't remember the URL's of my few lenses on best of subdomains...

19. Ramkitten2000 profile image94
    Ramkitten2000posted 2 years ago

Just chiming in to say, yep, me too. Traffic was soaring (well, to me it seemed like soaring) compared to Squidoo, at least for the first week to 10 days after the transfer, and then came the crash landing. I somehow managed to go through more than 200 lens-turned-hubs in  that time, doing lots of fixing, and now they're all red skull-free and no other violations ... but no more red arrows for me right now. All blue.

20. aka-rms profile image84
    aka-rmsposted 2 years ago

I'm seeing the same drop in traffic as has been reported here.

21. Nell Rose profile image89
    Nell Roseposted 2 years ago

I was doing great then about two weeks ago it dropped, big time. Now when I look its gone down even more. Now its so low Its not worth even looking at. Not sure whats going on, but its really depressing.

22. BritFlorida profile image63

I am hoping that this is a reporting glitch. For those of who transferred from Squidoo, I can see no reason why articles that have been getting many consistent hits for a long time should suddenly drop so dramatically.

I was only writing at Squidoo for eighteen months so as far as I'm concerned it has nothing to do with any Google changes. I never relied on Google traffic.

I believe this must be a reporting issue because I'm seeing 'pending' - no income or sales have been recorded since Monday.

1. Writer Fox profile image82
      Writer Foxposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Traffic stats were updated three hours ago, so there is no glitch there.  Earnings stats will be updated sooner or later.

If your previous traffic wasn't from Google, what was the source?

23. BritFlorida profile image63

Writer Fox, my traffic has always been largely from social media. Like David above, my big earners get a good proportion of their visits from Pinterest.

Then, you could go to your Pinterest boards and see how many of your images have been re-pinned. 

I don't know if Pinterest follows redirects; someone else would have to post about their experiences.  But, many sites will not follow a redirected URL because of fear of spam sites, etc. You could try posting a new Pin with the old URL and see what happens.

2. Brite-Ideas profile image81

Brit, I noticed the drop on Pinterest too. What I noticed in the past when I was switched to subdomains on Squidoo several years ago- was that although we received the redirect from the old domain to the new, new re-pins were NOT counting on the new url (the counter on squidoo would not go up) no link juice. On squidoo, the numbers would not go up on a repin UNLESS the url on pinterest reflected the actual url (not a redirect) - so, after figuring that out, I  slowly started changing my popular pin's urls to their correct, new url. I had pages with 10's of thousands of pins, and those counts were lost forever on the switch to squidoo subdomains. I had no way to prove that this is what affected my pages from temporarily tanking in Google search, and of course it wasn't the sole reason (the actual change of the URL was the main reason) - My pages did recover in search, I  did get my traffic and positions back, but it took a long time. To go through this again is painful. I still have some pins that have the original squidoo url, being redirected to the squidoo subdomain, now redirected to hub. Any repins on those  not changed to the hubpages url will not 'count as a pin on my hubpages url', I'll only get the redirect if they click through.

Writer Fox, my traffic comes from google and pinterest - 80% google, not internal traffic.

These new URL's have to find their way back in search, but since my own site can rank very quickly, I'll build on my website as well like many others are doing. The nice thing about my own site is the URL will not change.

24. takkhisa profile image81
    takkhisaposted 2 years ago

I am having the same problem!

25. BritFlorida profile image63

Writer Fox,the redirects from Pinterest are working fine. It's not a Pinterest issue as the hits are still coming from pinned articles. They are coming in from all sources but in lower figures. No one source is the problem - which is why I suspect a reporting issue.

I realise that it has updated recently but the lower traffic seems to be from all sources across the board - fewer from Twitter, fewer from links and so on.

How do your HP stats compare to your Google Analytics stats?

Brit, would be nice if that was the case, my top pages have shifted on google, as well as some of the other sites I usually see sitting on the first page with me for my search terms, so I was thinking that 'talked about panda update on sept 5th' may have had something to do with it. I hope you're right though, I would rather that.

26. BritFlorida profile image63

I haven't hooked it up yet - too busy updating and restoring lost videos smile

27. Pawpawwrites profile image61

Just took a look at my latest stats. All of those zeroes under 1 day, remind me of what my stats looked like at Squidoo.

28. Pawpawwrites profile image61

I just checked Google analytics, and my traffic for yesterday, with 32 featured hubs, was lower than on June 2, when I had "ONE" featured hub.

1. David Stone profile image77
      David Stoneposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Since it's the only universal I can think of that would affect everything, social media feeds, search, etc., I'm fairly certain it has something to do with the 301 redirects, maybe a glitch at Squidoo (Surprise!) as they wind down.

As those of us with a lot of Squidoo experience know, their tech guys were smart but sparse. There were frequent glitches and on the spot fixes, sort of like an old tire you just kept patching and never had the budget to replace. The idea that Squidoo tech might have screwed up something in the hand off makes sense to me.

On the other hand, it surprised me that no one from HubPages has stepped in with some information. Certainly, they're seeing what we're seeing and are certainly aware that people are getting nervous.

Maybe what some of you are experiencing in your traffic loss is a loss of internal traffic from Squidoo.  On HP, there's no real advantage for someone to visit your articles, post comments, etc. There are no brownie points and your Hubber Score doesn't go up.  It's something people do if they really want to read your work.  Traffic which earns income is almost always external traffic.

I got very few internal visits when I was on squidoo (toward the end). And I didn't let my lenses be transferred. I closed my account, deleted what I thought was junk, and rewrote and moved the rest manually. 
          I have no redirects, so what I was experiencing, was my content on Hubpages. Most of my traffic was coming from google. That has almost dried up, including the one hub that was doing well by itself.

Did you remove the cache of the old URL from Google and Bing?

2. misterhollywood profile image90

Good point Writer Fox. I personally am going to give it a few more days before I freak out lol. Well, maybe freak out a lil' smile

3. sockii profile image88

That would only be true if you had a lens which was primarily getting internal, not external, traffic from the start. I never courted Squidoo internal traffic much, didn't belong the Facebook "positivity" and such groups and such that encouraged visiting/liking, and have the stats to show that primary traffic on my top lenses were from google search results. These were also some of the first lenses I made sure to edit here to clear any violations (which generally they had very few of - my most popular lenses were information-based with tightly related product links only, and generally 1200-2500 words of text.)

These lenses remained steady, and then increased, in traffic for the first week after their transfer here. Now I've got former top lenses, none of which were getting major internal Squidoo traffic, dropping from 150-200 views a day to no better than 10-20. It is very worrisome indeed.

4. sockii profile image88

That would only be true (that previous traffic was all Squidoo-based) if you had a lens which was primarily getting internal, not external, traffic from the start. I never courted Squidoo internal traffic much, didn't belong the Facebook "positivity" and such groups and such that encouraged visiting/liking, and have the stats to show that primary traffic on my top lenses were from google search results. These were also some of the first lenses I made sure to edit here to clear any violations (which generally they had very few of - my most popular lenses were information-based with tightly related product links only, and generally 1200-2500 words of text.)

These lenses remained steady, and then increased, in traffic for the first week after their transfer here. Now I've got former top lenses, none of which were getting major internal Squidoo traffic, dropping from 150-200 views a day to no better than 10-20. It is very worrisome indeed.

There is a lot going on which can and will affect your traffic.  First of all, even when you publish a brand new article on HP, Google will test it for a variety of keyword search queries while it establishes how the webpage should rank.  It then gages user response from click-through rates on results pages, click-backs from your webpage to search engine results again, viewer time on the page, etc.  From that data, Google will sort the results and review the indexing of the content.  After this initial period, the rankings tend to level out to a stable position for a while. Many, many Hubbers have reported this initial Google traffic surge and then a tapering off.

Something else which has happened is that a massive amount of new content was rapidly uploaded on the HP site.  It takes a few weeks for Google to compare the new pages with similar content which might already be on the HP site – some pages even have duplicate titles. HP content for 'split pea soup', for instance, could perhaps have two high-ranking positions on search results pages and similar content on Squidoo could possibly have two positions.  Now, listings of webpages from Squidoo will be eliminated from results pages.  This can change traffic numbers for established Hubbers writing about 'split pea soup' as well as new comers writing about the same thing.

Just because an article has a 301 redirect, it does not mean that Google is going to rank the page as it was ranked before when the URL was on another website. 

Some Hubs will experience an increase in views sent from Hubs where they are listed under "Related Hubs."  Others will experience a decrease if their previous listings there have been replaced with newly imported Hubs.

Squidoo articles lost internal links from the Squidoo website – some of these were significant Google ranking factors, such as having an article listed high on a Topic page. HP has internal links as well, and a much different algorithm on the hierarchy of Hubs listed.

I personally don't think the full traffic results from this consolidation will be known until about January 1, three months after all the transfers have been completed. In the meantime, don't expect immediate gratification. The Squidoo website is disintegrating and whatever traffic numbers were there before are disintegrating as well. Your articles will chart a new traffic course on HP.

1. Suzanne Day profile image97
              Suzanne Dayposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I agree with this analysis.

New hubs from Squidoo and old hubs on Hubpages will be "re-ranked" so to speak through all this transition. No way to tell until the dust settles, then the way forward from there will be the new "normal".

I respectfully disagree.
                The articles are the same, exactly the same content, if not better.
                I personally changed about two thirds of my hubs, adding a summary, and editing the article.

According to Google, a 301 redirect should be enough to tell search engines about the move.
                All the link juice should be passed through 301.

I wonder if this isn't a manual intervention from Google.
                Think about it, lenses came in and suddenly my traffic doubled, that means I benefited from both platforms, (Squidoo and Hubpages), in terms of link juice. I got an unfair advantage, that someone had to address. And they did, but their doing is now an unfair disadvantage.

They might be working to change their algo to address this.
                In the mean time I am going to take a break, as suggested by Suzanne.

1. Marisa Wright profile image93

Yes, it is enough, but it doesn't pass all link juice.  I've certainly found that - every time I've moved a website, I've meticulously 301 redirected it, and yet traffic has always dropped after the move. 

I did some research and it does seem that a 301 redirect doesn't pass all link juice.  It just does a better job than any other alternative:

https://www.seroundtable.com/redirects- … 16419.html
                  http://www.seoblog.com/2014/06/link-jui … -redirect/

These articles support WriterFox's view that Squids (and Hubbers who were here before sub-domains) should avoid Editor's Choice, because a second 301 redirect will erode link juice even further.

totally agree! I personally don't want anymore URL changes! I still have url's coming from squidoo's directories, that went to my squidoo sub-domain, then some went to the Best-of Subdomains in squidoo, and now to my new home with my new hubpages subdomain - I can't express how much I don't want any further changes in my URL's. - so in some cases it's 4 301 redirects (so to speak) and in all cases it's at least 2 or 3..so yah, I'm good. Leave me be for a while smile

29. shellys-space profile image60
    shellys-spaceposted 2 years ago

My pages started to drop yesterday and most continue to drop today. I noticed a big drop in Pinterest visits, but that was right after the transfer.

30. BritFlorida profile image63

David - people are getting very nervous.

Most people who wrote at Squidoo were excited by the new challenge of being transferred to this site. But on social media groups, there are discontented mutterings at the moment.

31. Pawpawwrites profile image61

Why I think traffic dropped.

Of course, I risk looking like an idiot with this post, if traffic suddenly recovers, or soars in days or weeks to come.

Two years ago, I wrote two hubs. One died quickly, and was not featured for most of that time. One stayed untouched for that entire two years. It has been plugging along, all alone, with absolutely no attention from me, except to respond to a couple of comments.

My traffic now, is lower, (including all of my hubs) than that one hub used to have by itself. 

Now to my thoughts on why the drop. Google has told us for a long time, what they want, and don't want. On Googles webmaster tools/help/follow our guidelines/quality guidelines/doorway pages. See example #2 "Templated pages made solely for affiliate linking"
    That is exactly what Squidoo  is......or was. Then in that little link on affiliate programs, they go into much more detail.

(This is when good writers become offended.) They go into "thin," affiliate websites, and how they "do not provide additional value for web users".
    One sentence stood out for me, when it comes to what they think about affiliate sites/pages......." Affiliate program content should form only a small part of the content of your site." I'm not sure, but if you have 10 or 20 links to one affiliate site on one page, that might be considered a little more than a "small part of the content".

I closed my account on Squidoo early. I was here and active well before the transfers started. I looked at a lot of pages here.

I know that I might tick some people off with this, but I'm just going to say it out loud . Compared to Hubpages, many of the pages from Squidoo, were trash/garbage, whatever you want to call them. They were made for one reason....to sell a product, or products. And I will admit some of those pages were mine.  Please don't be offended if you produced good quality content.

I don't have time to keep up with the latest algorithm. I think the harsh treatment by google, might have to do with all of the sudden doorway pages coming in, and the massive amount of redirects going to one domain. I know that conventional wisdom says that a redirect won't hurt that much when it comes to SEO, but normally, you don't have thousands of them at once.

One more thing.....Whatever algorithm might be going on right at this moment, I'm pretty sure it doesn't have a 4 month grace period.

+1

In terms of quality pages, I can certainly appreciate your point. Unfortunately, or fortunately the people who are posting here about the problem are not these type of writers. In my case, the traffic drop I'm speaking about are on my top pages, that have ranked and been kept up to date over my 7 years at squidoo. Sure the topics aren't of interest to many here, by I'm catering to a specific audience.

I  built 12 new pages before the transfer here on Hub, they ranked perfectly fine for my search terms immediately after I built them (all my music pages), they've dropped out of search (from what I can tell) - and the pages that are 'replacing mine' are not gawds gift to the written word. In fact, the pages that I've looked at are basic - I noticed 'yahoo answers' and 'about' got a push up. Not sure how long that will last.

My point, although maybe not clearly made, is that maybe hubpages in general is being punished. Not any particular person. Haven't heard from enough long time writers here to know for sure though.

Just a note, but you all should know that Paul Edmondson posted on another thread - about not getting earnings report - that there is a Google reporting issue that has been escalated, and HP is waiting for it to be fixed.

This may explain all or most of the issues.

Patience.

Are you saying that Analytics wouldn't be accurate either?

2. Mark Ewbie profile image82
          Mark Ewbieposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I am a four year Hubber with mostly pages I wrote three and four years ago.  My current traffic is about normal. A few hundred a day.  So no real change for me - neither better or worse.

Hey thanks Mark. That is encouraging.

2. David Stone profile image77

At a few hundred, you may not be as affected, especially if something about the Squidoo transfer is involved.

For comparison. I run an average of 6,000 views per day. A week or so ago, I was at 8,000. I've now hit 4,000, including views from Pinterest that were robust a week ago.

I believe there is a reporting issue, as Paul Edmondson reported, and very likely something having to do with the 301 redirects. I also believe a week from now, the tangle will be gone.

Sure hope so David.

A problem with the redirects could also affect positions in search? (but I'm just guessing) - although my 12 pages built here prior to the transfer have disappeared off the radar as well.

My numbers were similar to yours in terms of drop David but worse, about 7000ish visits a day down to 1200 a day. So it's noticeable for sure. Anyway, back to work. Will just let the powers that be sort this out.

Exactly right, Barbara. It's out of our hands. Google will never pay any attention to us.

3. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image93

Here's the rub:  I am NOT a Squidoo transfer.  I have been at HP for almost 3 years, and was doing well until August 26, when I began to lose 90% of my traffic. It has recovered a bit, but not enough to really make a difference in views or money I have searched in vain to find out what happened because although there was an algo update, I got no penalties or warnings.  I am certain this is because I list very few ads and try to follow all of the guidelines.

So, where does someone like me fit into all of this?

It's important for everyone to keep in mind that Google is an 800# gorilla that hurts websites without explanation and takes zero responsibility. That said, Paul Edmondson says he's on it, so I'm waiting.

The drop off is too precipitous to make sense. HP is careful about not running afoul of the gorilla, and I want to emphasize that, although I am 85% Pinterest dependent for views, mine fell off the cliff too. It's random. My friend Barbara is also Pinterest dependent, but hers fell a lot farther than mine, although I may be catching up.

The only two possibilities I see affecting this is 1) a Google reporting error and/or 2) a screw up in the 301 redirects. Given your experience, timetraveler2, obviously the 301 redirects can't explain anything. And as far as any algorithm change, that would not have the effect it's had on media referrals, like Pinterest.

Google is screwing something up. Count on them to fix it, but don't count on them to take any responsibility. This is really out of our control and we have to trust Paul to lean on them enough to get it fixed. Sadly, though, I doubt it will be at all retroactive.

David Stone:  If Google is screwing something up, why is this problem not affecting every single writer?  Whatever is happening, I sure hope what you say is correct because I personally know several people who were here, were much more successful than I ever have been, got completely wiped out and have never recovered.  One lost an income of more than $20,000 per year, another lost most of his $60,000 per month income and another was getting 16,000 views daily and lost it all.  I am small potatoes compared to them, but this hit has really upset me.  I feel like I have failed somehow, but without knowing what happened, I have no way to try and fix the damage.   It's an awful feeling, and I am extremely upset about all of this.

TT2, I don't think David read your post properly.  His reply relates entirely to the drop in traffic since the Squidoo transfer, which is what this whole thread is about.

At the time your traffic bombed, the Squidoo transfer hadn't even started yet.  So you don't fit into this anywhere, you're a different case altogether.  Shorebirdie seems to be the only person on this thread who lost traffic around the same time.

"The drop off is too precipitous to make sense" - my sentiments exactly

+1

3. colorfulone profile image87
          colorfuloneposted 2 years ago in reply to this

That is possible, but I hope that is not the case. Perhaps it is a technical issue.

4. Writer Fox profile image82

My traffic is the same as it was before the transfers began on September 2nd.  Other Hubbers have reported that their traffic is down.

P.S. Most Hubbers never post in the forum, so you can't really determine what is happening overall by forum posts.

That is good to know. Interesting.

32. SANJAY LAKHANPAL profile image86
    SANJAY LAKHANPALposted 2 years ago

My traffic is almost stable. It remains plus or minus 10%.

1. abidareacode profile image51
      abidareacodeposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I witness both dropping as well as rising. So I didn't care it. In terms of earning it may be something to worry.Else nothing to worry.

33. ologsinquito profile image95
    ologsinquitoposted 2 years ago

My traffic on my regular HP account is probably about the same for a Thursday, except for the fact that my most visited hub is seasonal, and this is a slow time. I'm not seeing  too much difference here or anywhere else on search engine visits, if I account for that one hub.

However, what I am seeing is a huge drop off in visits on one site in particular that was totally dependent upon Pinterest. It has been a very rough week. Today does seem a little better, with more pins being picked up.

Until around September 7 or 8, when I pinned something to a large group board, there would be many views and repins. Then this stopped suddenly.

34. ologsinquito profile image95
    ologsinquitoposted 2 years ago

I forgot to add that the Pinterest situation seems a little better today, but I haven't tested it yet with a large group board.

1. Craftypicks profile image80
      Craftypicksposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Pinterest traffic will go up and down. The good thing about it is that it's not Google driven. People do it and you can snub your nose at Google. My best hubs get very little Google traffic and tons of Pinterest. So much, I have over 30,000 repins. The same hub has around 200 hits from Google.

I wish someone would explain how Pinterest works.  I have pinned there for quite some time now and have yet to get many views from this source.  What am I doing wrong?

1. OldRoses profile image83
          OldRosesposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Timetraveller, it's all about the pictures.  If you have a great picture and a popular topic, it will be pinned.

I do my best but apparently that is not good enough.

2. The Examiner-1 profile image82
          The Examiner-1posted 2 years ago in reply to this

TIMETRAVELER,
          I do not know whether this is what you are seeking but did you read the Hub which I wrote on it?
          <link snipped>
          I currently have many followers and pinners and I imagine your traffic here is more than mine.

Examiner:

Yes, I looked and read the post but even though I do have people who pin and follow, very few of those translate over to page views here on HP...and yes, I do pin other people's work quite a bit because I really just enjoy looking at the photos there.  I probably do not write on topics that interest many people there because if I get 30 views a day from Pinterest, I am doing well.  I would like to know how you follow boards from specific people...have never been able to figure that out.  For example, if I wanted to find and follow you or look at your photos, I do not know how to do that.  Sounds simple, but I have never been able to figure that out.  I know I can click on one of your photos and pin it, but this does not lead me to your boards, does it?  Let me know, will you?

1. The Examiner-1 profile image82

TIMETRAVELER,
              You may continue posting others work, but do you also post all of your own Hubs as you write them? You are allowed to do that.

If you see a photo and want to find the person you look at the bottom of the photo and copy the name beside the round photo (if there is more than one, it is the top one). Go to the top of the Pinterest page and on the left is a box which says "Search" (the same as the search box on this page), paste the persons name in the box, search for it, and it will come up in a list. Click on the name and you should be led directly to their site.

Another way which may help is to hover the mouse above the photo until you see a '+' sign - not the pin button - click when you see the '+' sign and it will enlarge the photo. On the right you will see the boards (the top group) which you may follow. Below the photo, 2nd line down, is a round photo and a name of a person who posted this, to the right of that is their name and "Follow". Click on that and you are now following that person. You can then check your Profile & Pins to see more about this person.

If you know a person's name, or any kind of clue, search for it in the same way.
              I will be waiting.

Thanks Craftypicks, Pinterest is an excellent source of traffic - in 8 days I've had about 4300 visits from there, so it's never to be discounted. But from search in 8 days I've had over 40,000 visits - so changes in search are painful. Thank goodness for Pinterest though.

I couldn't even imagine getting that many hits from Google. My personal website gets around 400-500 hits from it daily, but mostly I get it from Pinterest. I always laugh saying Google doesn't like me. My friend and I always apologise to the Google Gods if we say anything negative about it on the phone. We are both convinced they listen in.

that's funny about apologizing on the phone to the google God's lmao! - I may have to check my house, it could be bugged! Google, I'm really sorry  I didn't mean it.

"We [at Google] don't need you to type at all. We know where you are. We know where you've been. We can more or less know what you're thinking about."
              – Eric Schmidt, Executive Chairman of Google, Mountain View, CA, U.S.

Yikes, I better write a mission statement like Jerry McGuire lol - that's scary!

35. Coffee-Break profile image89

Now I am officially worried. My traffic dropped everyday for the last 4 days to almost nothing.
    My traffic wasn't so low since the account had a third of the hubs/lenses, two years ago.
    Patience is not my virtue, I have to admit, but the traffic has dropped now to a third of what it was on Squidoo before the migration.

1. 0
      darkprinceofjazzposted 2 years ago in reply to this

You are not alone, my transferred Squidoo account has also tanked to the bottom of the sea. This account from which I am posting is seeing its typical traffic.

I'm with you, if this continues I'm pretty much finished online  - I used to get over 100,000 visits a month from Google Search (just Google) and overnight it has almost all disappeared. So 10 years of writing online and 7 years at Squidoo for this? Hopefully this turns around; I've been chatting with a few people who say to give it a month or so - the only hope I'm holding onto is the similar thing that happened to  me at Squidoo when they switched me to Subdomains (it took several weeks or so? can't remember, to start to recover) but it took a lot longer to recover my first page search placements. I'll continue to edit my over 500 pages here and just evaluate as the traffic changes, if  it changes.

I'm already starting a new marketing plan in my mind for another approach if I've lost all my google placements forever.

1. Maffew James profile image95
        Maffew Jamesposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Because your articles are moved to Hubpages by 301 redirect, they should retain most of their ranking. Google itself recommends using a 301 redirect if content has permanently moved and you don't want the ranking within Google to be lost, or for visitors to not be able to find the content. Using a 301 redirect means that even if a visitor clicked on a link to your old URL at Squidoo, that visitor will still end up at your new location.

I'd say, give it a few weeks at least. Even after redirecting, it can take some time before traffic returns to former levels. Google doesn't immediately attribute ranking to the new article URL. This is the same as when you edit content, it may take anywhere from a day, to several weeks before Google even notices anything has changed. No sense getting too worried at this point.

thanks for the reassurance, appreciate that - just hard to  go through it  - I know there are a lot of us in the same boat right now. I'll keep busy and give it time. Thanks again.

36. Shorebirdie profile image88
    Shorebirdieposted 2 years ago

I've noticed this on other sites where I'm paid by page views or can keep track of them.  It was all of a sudden, too.  I was doing great until about the end of August.

Shorebirdie:  August 25 was the last day when I had good views.  By August 28, I had lost 90%.  Do you know the exact date when your views started dropping?  I am wondering if it is the same date as mine because if so, then something happened right then with Google that caused the change.  If anybody else has this same issue around that time, I'd like to see the dates.  You can find it on your Google Analytics chart.

1. Shorebirdie profile image88
        Shorebirdieposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I've noticed it on other sites like my blogs and on Examiner where I also write.  Examiner said it was normal for traffic to drop off in the summer, but was picking up.  However, it's not picking up for me.

37. Suzanne Day profile image97
    Suzanne Dayposted 2 years ago

Just an update from me, I've had traffic drop really low for 2 days, then up again to slightly better than normal. Then another low drop to depress me, then it doubled. Yesterday it was far lower than normal and today it is 2.5x normal. So I'm having a little rollercoaster journey of my own which is not normal for my hubs (they're usually pretty stable).

So I'm going to just sit by and watch for a month and enjoy the ride and see where it ends up. No point in redetermining my existence here on Hubpages while Google is still sorting it all out.

Patience to all! Wait a month and come back then to see how it panned out. Time to take a well deserved mini holiday wink

38. shellys-space profile image60

Just wondering, could part of the problem be we are still seen as Squidoo? When you go to the Squidoo discussion thread, there  are so many Squid-realted Hubs. Squidoo tips  and HQ lenses probably should not still be active (my opinion.)

http://hubpages.com/topics/hubpages-tut … unity/7444

39. The Examiner-1 profile image82
    The Examiner-1posted 2 years ago

Squidoo transfers: Do not worry. Google has always placed HP Hubs in their search box with a 'thumbs down' for some reason. So it is them, not you.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image82

Yep, any excuse.  This time it will be all that new content.  Google noticed.  "Quick HubPages are getting some traffic - turn that search dial down".

Think I'm joking?

Not really.

Look really hard at the stats over the last few years and tell me someone isn't artificially adjusting it - mostly down - back at Google HQ.

Has it improved their search results? Not at all.  Same old garbage all across the web.

40. shellys-space profile image60

The Examiner: I am afraid you are correct. There is no other explanation for the drastic and almost zero traffic drop in the last 3 days for my Hubs.

I hate to delete more pages, but what other choice will I have with zero traffic (or almost on some).

Back to working on my websites.

Perhaps un-publish but do not delete, shelleys-space,  there may be a sudden rise and you may be sorry if you do delete. After all, we are not sure about the other search engines, they may be able to overcome this.

41. neosurk profile image89
    neosurkposted 2 years ago

I won't be offended if anyone decides to have a laugh. I was cheering the whole way up that curve, but the ride downhill wasn't that enjoyable cool

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/11771229.png

42. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 2 years ago

OK.  It's time to start a row.  Thin affiliate sales pages destroyed Squidoo.

Those pages are now migrated to HubPages.

Anyone is free to take a look - especially Hubbers who have stayed here after all the rule changes - and ask themselves what the hell HubPages think they are playing at?

Who on earth thinks Google is not going to take one look at that kind of stuff - migrated to HubPage without going through the QAP process - and give us all one almighty slap?

Did HP think it was worth taking the chance?

I am now actively looking at moving my content elsewhere.  The final straw for me.

43. firstday profile image80
    firstdayposted 2 years ago

Mark Ewbie,
    Before you leave please let me know what is going on.  I just started this and have never actively been in anything like this.  Why are you leaving?  Please give me the info as if you were writing a paragraph for the book for "Dummies"  sorry to bother you.

First rule is take no notice of me.  It is a personal angle and there will be many other points of view.  AND you should always go your own way - what feels right for you.

HubPages is an excellent site with really nice people.  Supportive and friendly.  It always has been.

For me - my traffic has declined gradually over the last year or so.  Despite a lot of work improving, pruning, tweaking and doing everything I can think of - there is little or no improvement.  It makes me no money to speak.

Google is playing a game with me.  I get a little traffic, enough to keep me interested, but not enough to go anywhere with.

What has tipped me over the edge is viewing SOME - by no means all - of the recently imported pages.  SOME - by no means all - is extraordinarily spammy.  The type of content that Google hates and almost certainly the reason why Squidoo collapsed.

HP decided to relax the rules for the new content.  In my opinion they must be start raving mad.

That's my take.  As I say it is a personal angle.  You should always make your own choices and decisions.  And good luck! smile

1. Jayne Lancer profile image91
        Jayne Lancerposted 2 years ago in reply to this

As I understand it, ex-Squids have four months to to fix their imported lenses so as they match standards set by HubPages. I think this is only fair. Some ex-Squids have hundreds of lenses to edit.

In my opinion it is not about fairness.  It is about impact on Hubpages in the eyes of Google.

Google will not give thin affiliate pages that have too many adverts and too many links - four months grace.

1. Jayne Lancer profile image91
            Jayne Lancerposted 2 years ago in reply to this

HubPages could have arranged things in order that imported lenses remained unpublished on HubPages until edited to meet HubPages standards, so why hasn't HubPages done that? Where did HubPages come up with a time frame of four months? I'm taking it that HubPages must have researched the situation before it occurred.

Do you actually know something that we don't, or are you scaremongering?

I didn't know I was scare-mongering.  Just making my own conclusions about what HubPages have done and it's likely effect on my already appalling traffic.  Truth is I was off anyway because nothing has improved here for me for months.

It all seems fairly simple and obvious to me.

You're not scaring me, because I was already scared.  In fact (and I know how you love to hear someone say this sad ), I just wrote a Hub about that.

Seriously, I hope you'll follow the links there to read two examples of award-winning articles on Squidoo, written by a Squidoo employee, no less, and coming soon (if not already) to a subdomain near yours.

Read them and weep.  That's what I did.

I didn't write that Hub for money, but I don't intend to publish any more here for a few months until the full effect of the new 175,000 pages of content is known.

I can tell you one thing, the lack of Google payments in five days is now a critical concern.  At least in the past two years, it's never taken this long for an update in earnings stats.  Ominous.

To the Squidoo people reading this, if your Hubs are in compliance with HP standards, Hooray for you and you are certainly welcomed and encouraged to publish on this site.  To the people who have unacceptable content, most Hubbers don't appreciate having bad content on this site and, yes, you are going to hear complaints about that until it is fixed or removed.  Deal with it.

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/11771550.png

44. LindaSmith1 profile image59
    LindaSmith1posted 2 years ago

Number 7 at http://hubpages.com/squidoo/faq

Number 6:  Will Lenses need to go through the Quality Assessment Process?
    Featured Lenses—which have already been vetted by Squidoo's quality systems—will be imported as Featured Hubs on HubPages, meaning they will not be subject to the QAP. Lenses that are moved over in an unpublished state will be evaluated by the QAP if and when they are published.

Squidoo users that move over with fewer than five Featured Lenses will need to go through Boot Camp.

45. shellys-space profile image60

The Hubs I have updated to meet the requirements are dropping too.

46. LisaMarieGabriel profile image84
    LisaMarieGabrielposted 2 years ago

Mark might have a point. I know I have a lot of work to do on my pages and some I am trying to decide whether or not to just delete and move. It may be that not everybody is choosing to fix those red skulls, or it may be that people are going as fast as they can (and yes, the new rules on Zazzle and Score Exchange have both really caught me out as a writer, a musician and as a designer as they are not white listed here).

The third option is simply that there is a bug in the reporting of visits as well as in the reporting of adsense. After all we all speak of Google as though it is one entity when in reality it is many specific to many different countries. Perhaps some countries are "bugged" and others not? In the meantime everyone should keep working on and improving their content obviously.

Thanks Lisa. I am not wanting to be nasty about it - it is a tough thing to have to say.  And hey, as usual, I may be wrong.

47. Coffee-Break profile image89

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/11771529.png

If you think this is due to some technical issue, or reporting is wrong, (in both analytics and HP, then the snapshot from my webmaster tools should convince you that this is not the case. Blue line is impressions, red line is clicks.

The graphic shows clearly that Google dropped the number of impression for my subdomain. I suspect this happened to all imported Squidoo accounts, or at least most of them.

That doesn't necessarily mean that a technical issue is excluded, and the traffic drop is in fact a result of that.

We will have to give it a few days. The webmaster tools, don't even show any hubs as indexed, although search engines crawling is reported on the HP stats tab.

I see a drop off in Squidoo/hub traffic but my Hubs traffic is still OK. I wish they would fix the reporting system already. Four days is a long time.

2. shellys-space profile image60
      shellys-spaceposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Ouch Coffee Break! I don't have a graph, but I know my stats look the same by the numbers.

Shelly,

I bet it's the same for most Squidoo imported accounts.

3. neosurk profile image89

The downward curve is ditto for me!

Yeah, I saw it after I post the message, and I bet it's the same for most imported accounts.
        Although I have another imported account, with only one hub, and that one increased, and stayed that way.

48. Coffee-Break profile image89

Oh, and while I am waiting for rerankings, I am updating all my hubs, the import screwed up a lot of my lenses, and some were screwed up by Squidoo, when they disabled HTML styling a couple of months ago.
    Some videos disappeared, and yes, I am writing the summary for all lenses.

While I am at it, I also take the time to group the hubs by subject. This should help search engines to categorize hubs, and it's good for my traffic, if Google revises its rankings.

Coffee-Break:

You are doing exactly what you should be doing at this point.  I would advise you not only to group your articles, but also to copy and paste them into a word processing file as well as creating a list of titles by groups so that you can easily access your information and also secure it in case you ever want to move articles elsewhere.

I have been doing this for some time, and although it is a great deal of work, it will give you a basis for tracking changes and updates.  I cannot tell you how many hours of confusion and upset doing this has saved me.

FYI  I am also waiting for re ranking and am updating and correcting while I do.  Boy, have I found mistakes!  I couldn't believe it, so although it is a lot of work, my articles grow better daily...and I am hoping that Google takes note of that.

49. Solaras profile image91
    Solarasposted 2 years ago

My pageviews on both accounts are the norm for themselves, if that is at all elucidating.  It may be that certain topics have been inundated with the arrival of the new Lenses, and it needs to get sorted out over the next few weeks at Google HQ.

Solaras:

I doubt that is true because I write on numerous topics and all have taken major hits.

It's definitely not the case for you, TT2, because your drop in traffic occurred weeks before the first Squidoo lens arrived on HubPages.

50. shellys-space profile image60

Do you think anyone from the staff will reply to our concerns in the traffic drop?

You never know. One left a comment already that the slowdown was Google's fault. They may leave another saying that it has been fixed.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image93

shelly-space:  Paul has already replied with a statement saying that there is a problem with Google's reporting and once they fix it, we will see our results.  If Google has a problem, there is nothing HP can do to fix it.  They must wait just like we must wait.

The traffic statistics are up to date.  It is the Google Ad Program which hasn't been updated.  It has now been five days and delays have never been that long in two years.  Something is seriously wrong and I'm concerned.

3. Writer Fox profile image82

Probably not because it is not affecting everyone and certainly not the site as a whole.  It takes a while for Google to determine what queries your Hubs answer and how to position them on search engine results pages.  For a new Hub, Google will display it for many search queries and then determine, from user response, where your Hub will be positioned and for what queries.  So it is quite typical to have a spurt of initial traffic and then a leveling off.

Also, internal traffic tapers off after about a week or so.

working