jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (11 posts)

Does Rudolph want to work more? Considering Christmas....

1. peterb6001 profile image73
    peterb6001posted 2 years ago

Travelling to a meeting this morning I saw a big billboard poster saying ‘Still weekday places left to book for Christmas Parties at the (Big chain Hotel with many rooms), Weekends Sold Out!

Blimey, so early? Are we here already? In the festive season?  I then started to see Advent Calendars for sale and X-mas promotions in the shops after leaving my vessel.

So, should we now encourage these early celebrations and write festive hubs and do our promotion via social media etc? Or rest a little until closer to the time to make the festive season seem more like the original festivals, and hope our older pages get the views?

We have to consider the time that Google and the other big search engines give us to start getting good search results on our pages.

Pressure towards parents is peaking to an high now, with children already asking, even demanding what they would like for Christmas in September. Are we responsible for part of this growing trend? Or on the other hand should we take no responsibility and say that this is what the world is like today?

I know that to be successful writers we have to promote our hubs in advance, but how much strain are we putting on the parents just recovering from the school holidays and how much are we influencing the trends?

I’m neutral on the matter, but thought it would be a thoughtful way to introduce myself to Hubpages.. Also having lived in Spain for so many years there you are lucky if the X-mas lights are put up two weeks before the 25th. Now here on TV even Ad's are promoting stock and payment methods for your Christmas.

So, consumer pressure? Google pressure? Ad and Marketing pressure? Who are following who? Or has Rudolph the red nosed reindeer just got itchy feet and decided that part time work isn’t for him and would rather work all year round?

1. Writer Fox profile image80
      Writer Foxposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Do you realize that there are almost 5,000 featured Hubs on HP about the Christmas holiday and many more lying dormant that will come back to life in December?

Your chances of being successful with a new Hub in this topic are slim.
      http://hubpages.com/topics/holidays-and … stmas/2660

Just saying.

2. relache profile image89
    relacheposted 2 years ago

If you'd like to burnout and overwhelm your reading audience on Christmas by starting those promos now....

And just wait until those transferred lenses get up and running for the holidays.  In all honesty, I'm curious to see how the over-merchandised holiday season of Squidoo does here.

3. greenspirit profile image91
    greenspiritposted 2 years ago

Hi Peter. I think you were more interested in saying hello and having a quick ponder on the ethics and cause and effects of marketing, rather than the swift referral to xmas topic statistics you did receive? Glad to see you here. Poppy.

1. Writer Fox profile image80
      Writer Foxposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I think he was interested in getting feedback to his questions:
      "So, should we now encourage these early celebrations and write festive hubs and do our promotion via social media etc? Or rest a little until closer to the time to make the festive season seem more like the original festivals, and hope our older pages get the views?

"We have to consider the time that Google and the other big search engines give us to start getting good search results on our pages. "

1. NanLT profile image87
        NanLTposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Nah, I would say greenspirit was right and Peter was finding a way to say hello and begin a conversation as opposed to being slapped in the face with a wet fish, or even curmudgeonly statistics on the futility of even trying to get ahead.

Hey Peter, 'tis good to see you here.

If you've got some of that tea cake handy I've got a pot of chocolate black tea that would go very nicely with it. We can have a good natter about the joys of not thinking about the holidays until December.

1. peterb6001 profile image73
          peterb6001posted 2 years ago in reply to this

As you know I would love to come and visit smile

4. Rachael Tate profile image81
    Rachael Tateposted 2 years ago

I think it's more a case of the market following consumers. I like to get my shopping done in October so by December I don't have to think about anything but enjoying my mulled wine and mince pies by the tree!

5. LisaMarieGabriel profile image82
    LisaMarieGabrielposted 2 years ago

Good question Peter, nicely written too. I think we all need to see a little humour here and as Poppy said it is good to see you introduce yourself with a light hearted and pleasant post. The question itself is a serious one though, deserving of serious consideration and sensible answers. I personally think seasonal shopping is over hyped everywhere, not just on line. We have been seeing Halloween creep in since July, Christmas is soon to start now the shops have done and dusted the old "back to school" thing they started in June and what's the betting the Valentine Cards are on display on 26th December?

6. peterb6001 profile image73
    peterb6001posted 2 years ago

Quick answers, @Writterfeoxes I…. knew, of course
    @sidekisks, ……. knew too, thank you both for the info.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
    Wow, what a fascinating place I seemed to have been transported in to.
    ‘Auuuuuuuawwwh ‘ (screams of terror coming from new squids)
    Then more of an uuAwww,
    They said? ‘But if he were so great here he would remember?’ Only Question him, the echoing voice came out of a grammerphone it seemed. , even without a capitol. ‘(shhhhhh, I know it’s another language but let them free ‘Transported’ but no need to Google it’s meaning like you did with the naked art  copies)  I said. So let’s not  tip toe around here and see what’s happening with these pesky little friends with pens, x, as you like being in the spotlight all of the time, here, you take the torch, but just remember not to always shine it on yourself, I was hoping this post could shine a little light on others as well. But with all your wisdom am so glad to have you on my side. There are creepy and infected things around here.
    I love positive and negative feedback, even better on innocent questions, I can see we are going to have a lot of f fun on here .
    @writer fox, I do my research, of course I’m aware of all the xmas pages out there, hence asking or rest a little until closer to the time to make the festive season seem more like the original festivals, and hope our older pages get the views?
    @Relache, all the  opinions are always so cold and unforgiving, if that is how yow you are honestly? You are very blunt and cold and I would only use you to get my drinks ready, maybe place them near you so they are chilled.

@Poppy. Thank you, nice to see there are some people around here with values ,
    But thanks to  a load of (undiagnosed ) minds  that cannot answer a simple discussion but for trying to take part.
    And now, we can hear more about the original thread.

7. LPerry60 profile image80
    LPerry60posted 2 years ago

Rudolph should write a Hub telling us how he really feels about Christmas. I never see any articles written from the reindeer's perspective.  smile

working