jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (4 posts)

Duplicate content

1. 0
    bobtyndallposted 2 years ago

Here's a question for someone. A great many of us have recipe hubs. Everyone knows that when it comes to recipes, the chance of publishing one that doesn't have the same ingredients as a lot of others of the same type is virtually impossible. Not with millions of recipes online. Also, any one knows that when publishing a recipe, the ingredients aren't subject to copyright. Only the instructions are.

So, when we publish a recipe, are the ingredients subject to Hubpages duplication? If they are, then pretty much every recipe hub here should be flagged.

I had my latest recipe hub flagged as being duplicate in some way. I edited it and took out any text that might have triggered a warning. With the exception of the ingredients, every piece of text on it is original. I republished and immediately got a duplication warning again.

If HubPages is going to do this, why is it that they can't simply highlight any text they deem duplicated.
    That would make everyone's life a lot simpler.

1. relache profile image87
      relacheposted 2 years ago in reply to this

The duplicate content filters get tripped when there isn't a high enough percentage of original content on the Hub. 

If you think the filters are being tripped by mistake (which can happen) you can always request a manual review from the moderators.  They will then either certify your Hub as original, or tell you exactly why not.

1. 0
        bobtyndallposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Thanks relache. How many times can I republish before they cancel my account.
        Maybe I will contact someone and see what they say. Maybe I will learn something smile
        I still think it would make more sense if they simply told you what was considered duplicate.

1. lisavollrath profile image87
          lisavollrathposted 2 years ago in reply to this

If you can get the page published and visible to the public, try running the URL through Copyscape.com. It will show you where your content is being duplicated, and at what percentage. That might give you some way to solve your issue.

For what it's worth, I transferred a handful of recipes over, and haven't had any flags. It might be because I added a ton of new text before each recipe, to help them meet the minimal 700 word goal. That may lower the percentage of duplicate content that comes from similar ingredients or instructions.