jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (21 posts)

Verifying Your Domain

1. Nancy Hardin profile image60
    Nancy Hardinposted 2 years ago

When you edit your profile on HP, scroll down and you will see a place that says Verify your subdomain with Bing. What URL is supposed to go there...your HP subdomain, or your blogspot, or what? Makes me feel dumb not knowing the answer to this, hope someone can help.

2. relache profile image86
    relacheposted 2 years ago

this page includes those instructions,

http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/How- … ster-Tools

1. bravewarrior profile image94
      bravewarriorposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Funny, I've never seen that. Whether I edit on HubPages or on my own site, I'm within that domain. They are separate and one has nothing to do with the other. This question surprised me, to be honest.

Frankly, I stay away from Bing. How many people actually use that search engine?

Nancy Hardinposted 2 years ago in reply to this

If you go to your Profile on your Account page, and scroll down, there's a place to Verify Your Account with Bing. Now I'm not a Bing fan either, but I don't want to miss any opportunities at the same time. I'm just wondering what it means, and what it wants. Putting my subdomain from HP isn't what it wants, so I just wondered if it wanted my blog. It's no big thing, just thought someone might know.

1. NateB11 profile image92
          NateB11posted 2 years ago in reply to this

There is some value to adding your HP subdomain to Bing Webmaster Tools. You can see from Bing Webmaster Tools how people are getting to your articles through Bing, what keywords they're using and how much they click on the links to your articles from the Bing search engine and also what position your article is at in their search engine for those keywords. This can give you ideas for keywords for future articles too. The link relache posted gives instructions on how to link your HP subdomain to Bing Webmaster Tools. It involves logging into Bing Webmaster Tools through your hotmail or outlook account or creating an account. Then you add your subdomain to My Sites in Bing Webmaster Tools, grab the code they give you (copy it) and put it (paste it) into that box you saw here at HP for verifying your subdomain.

I think you can also see if your articles are linked on other websites through Bing Webmaster Tools. Bing's Webmaster Tools has various features. One is that you can deindex articles if you need to. It's like Google's Webmaster Tools.

Thank you NateB11, good information!

1. NateB11 profile image92
              NateB11posted 2 years ago in reply to this

No problem, Nancy. Glad to help.

2. Glenn Stok profile image96
          Glenn Stokposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Bing has Webmaster Tools just like Google has. You have to create a Bing Webmaster Account and get an account code. Then place that code in the Bing Webmaster Tools field in your HP profile. Follow the complete instructions in the link relache gave you above.

Thank you Glenn Stok, I appreciate the info.

2. shellys-space profile image60
        shellys-spaceposted 2 years ago in reply to this

This is the only search engine my husband will use on his Nook and he loves Bing over Google.

Thanks Shelly, I'm still learning about Bing, since I've always used Google. Thanks for the encouragement!

2. CoeGurl profile image79
          CoeGurlposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Good to know, Shelly! I forget sometimes that there are search sites that are preferred over Google.

3. Valerie P Davis profile image82
        Valerie P Davisposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Bing is the Facebook search engine--if you can't find something on FB it sends you to Bing web search results. So I find it very much worth getting indexed!

4. Allain Christmas profile image61
        Allain Christmasposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I get traffic from Bing. It's much more popular overseas than it is in the U.S.

I personally use it for my searching as Google gives me too many paid-for-position sites before getting too the real stuff. Bing seems to bring up more targeted results, in my opinion.

2. Nancy Hardin profile image60

Thank you relache, Google is already done, but I didn't know how to go about Bing. I don't want to miss any opportunities to be seen! (smile)

1. Glenn Stok profile image96
        Glenn Stokposted 2 years ago in reply to this

That link relache gave you also explains how to set up Bing Webmaster Tools. You have to scroll down below the Google section.

3. makingamark profile image69
      makingamarkposted 2 years ago in reply to this

That doesn't look up to date with current processes to me re Bing. For example I've only been asked to provide a site map which the hub does not cover.

(Aha - I've now pressed 'save - I see what you mean)

Verification worked - that was fast.

I'm now generating my sitemap.........

1. CoeGurl profile image79

What are you using to generate a site map, if I may ask?

3. MelRootsNWrites profile image89
    MelRootsNWritesposted 2 years ago

I didn't realize Bing had webmaster tools, too.  So, this has been a helpful conversation for me.

I use both Google and Bing for my search.  I use search engines for my genealogy research and I've found that some stuff like, newspaper obituaries, Bing can be better at locating.  I find them both useful for different reasons.

4. Nancy Hardin profile image60
    Nancy Hardinposted 2 years ago

I'd just like to thank everyone for not thinking my question was dumb (even though I felt that way! HA!) and thanks everyone for all your help. Great forum, and I think I've found my new "for sure" home.

1. CoeGurl profile image79

Thanks for asking this (NOT dumb smile  ) question, Nancy! I didn't know what this was all about, so you and all those who posted have greatly helped me.

working