jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (13 posts)

Text size on hubs vs. transferred lenses

1. Glimmer Twin Fan profile image96
    Glimmer Twin Fanposted 2 years ago

In perusing some hubs tonight I noticed that the text on transferred lenses seems smaller than the text on hubs written on HubPages.  I've checked a couple and the transferred material looks smaller and is harder for me to read. 

At first I thought I might need new glasses, but comparing them side by side, I can see a slight difference.

Is that something that can be fixed so the reader has an easier time reading articles?  Not sure if this is a technical problem or just an observation.

1. Marina Lazarevic profile image85
      Marina Lazarevicposted 2 years ago in reply to this

This shouldn't be the case. Can you post an example? Thanks!

2. kenneth avery profile image82
      kenneth averyposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Glimmer,
      I apologize for the interruption, but I noticed the size of the type on one of my comment boxes--it was smaller than in the old days, and I do use glasses.

2. Glimmer Twin Fan profile image96
    Glimmer Twin Fanposted 2 years ago

Hi Marina -

If you take a look at my Sugar Cubes hub and then look at a former lens like Turkey Lentil Soup from Susan Zutautas, her print looks smaller to me.  I open 2 tabs so I flip b/w the two.  It just seems harder for me to read hers.  It's very subtle, but I think it's there.

I've compared other ones as well and notice the difference in them as well.

So, I took a look at those two Hubs in Chrome and the font size (14px) and line height (20.7px) are the same on both - see screenshots below. What browser were you viewing the Hubs in?

Sugar Cube Hub:

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/11816398_f1024.jpg

Turkey Lentil Soup Hub:

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/11816402_f1024.jpg

Glimmer Twin Fanposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I use google chrome and I have a mac.

Since the font size and line spacing are the same on both Hubs, my best guess is that one of your frames or windows is zoomed in or out. If you look at the Hubs side-by-side in a different browser and don't notice a difference in font size, then that's probably it.

Thanks for looking into it Marina.

2. Glimmer Twin Fan profile image96

I think it has to do with column width.  Some hubs are wider than others.  Check out marieoxotoni's How to make a starbucks double chocolatey..... hub vs. Jan Share's how to make oxtail stew which is a hub I believe written on hp.  The page is wider on marieoxotoni's hub which makes it easier to read. 

Edited this to say page width, not column with

2. rebekahELLE profile image90
      rebekahELLEposted 2 years ago in reply to this

You're not the only one.  I've noticed this difference for a few months.  I see the same thing that you do on these two hubs.  I noticed yours has the hubpages.com URL rather than a subdomain URL.  I always notice this on EC hubs which also have the hubpages.com URL.  I've brought it up a couple times in the forums, but no one else sees it, and Matt said there is no difference.  I see the wider page width and larger font on my Tarpon Springs hub.  I don't see any difference on my phone.  This is on my Mac OS X with FF 32.0.1, but it's been this way through different versions.

EDIT:  It must be the browser, which I find rather strange that it's just on certain URLs.  I tried a different browser and didn't see a difference.  It is the smaller text and margins.

3. Wednesday-Elf profile image83
    Wednesday-Elfposted 2 years ago

I wonder why? smile

4. relache profile image89
    relacheposted 2 years ago

I have several hundred transferred lenses-now-Hubs and I'm not finding I'm having any font issues.

relache - It probably is my browser, but I took a look at your Morbid Seattle Tours hub and compared it Fall Preschool Apple Crafts by alissaroberts and when I compare the 2 the crafts one is wider and easier to read.  Like Marina said, maybe one of my tabs is zoomed in a little bit.

working