jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

How Helpful Is The Hub Pages Preview For Mobile Users In Reality?

1. LindaSmith1 profile image60
    LindaSmith1posted 2 years ago

Another writer had given me a tip about using 2 or two in my hubs due to what mobile users see.  My cell phone is for making and accepting calls, that is it!   While deciding as to whether or not to get rid of a hub, I noticed the Preview button, while in edit mode.  I clicked on it out of curiosity. 

You can preview your hub, including all images whether it be photos, Amazon capsules, etc in the desktop view, and mobile view.   

I wonder if the mobile view is realistic by the way of our hubs are viewed on a mobile phone, or does it depend on the phone itself?   

From what I saw, it does not matter if you write 2 or two.  I also noticed that it does not seem to matter if you have images etc floated to the right or in the center of you hub, because on the mobile preview, the images that have been floated to the right, are now in the middle of the screen anyway, just as they would be if you have them in the center of your hub page.

1. Maffew James profile image97
      Maffew Jamesposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I don't believe it's realistic (judging by your description, because I haven't actually used it myself). What I do know is that if my phone's browser is set to mobile mode and I access the mobile version of Hubpages, right-floated elements are still floated. It looks almost exactly the same as the desktop version. With that being the case, I'd imagine there are other types of phones that handle the floated content properly.

The 2 or two issue arises because some phone browsers automatically link a large number as a phone number, which when clicked on, enters the call screen, ready to dial. I'd like to think most phone technology is intelligent enough not to mistakenly convert every number into an automatic call link. Mine, for example, has only ever done so for actual phone numbers. Even numbers that look similar, but are obviously not phone numbers, have not been mistakenly linked by the browser software.

If in doubt, refer to Associated Press style for a professional look. In particular, numbers less than 10 or numbers beginning a sentence should be spelt out. Example: "We had a table for four booked at the restaurant", and, "the restaurant seats 80 guests".

2. revolutionbjj profile image94
    revolutionbjjposted 2 years ago

That's definitely accurate about the images being in the center, based on what I've noticed.  I'll have to check out the other previews (I have an Android phone).

3. LindaSmith1 profile image60
    LindaSmith1posted 2 years ago

Maffew: I understand the APS style.  However I was told that if I wrote as you did for your example, that mobile users see four booked better than 4 booked.

4. Jayne Lancer profile image91
    Jayne Lancerposted 2 years ago

I always use the mobile view to preview my hubs. I want my hubs to look good on both desktop and mobile, and I like images etc. floated right on desktop. I've checked my hubs on my mobile device and, according to my experience, the preview for mobile is absolutely accurate.

HubPro editors, by the way, gear hubs to mobile, which means they implement full-width in order that hubs look the same on both desktop and mobile devices, and we're encouraged to do the same. I wonder why, since everything becomes full-width in mobile view, anyway. Is it simply as a safeguard to make sure we all always have everything in the right place, or is HubPages going to do away with the half-width option?

1. calculus-geometry profile image86
      calculus-geometryposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I also use the mobile preview feature to make sure they layout isn't confusing when viewed on a phone. But most of my views come from non-mobile, so ultimately I care more about what they look like in standard view.  It's depends on the topic I think.  If you write about restaurants and places to visit, you'll probably have more mobile visitors than if you write about how to solve homework problems.

Anyway, I don't think HP will get rid of the half-width option as in converting all of our hub capsules to full-width site-wide.  It would be a formatting nightmare.  But who knows, they may disable the option to create new hubs with half-width capsules but grandfather in the existing half-width capsules.

1. Jayne Lancer profile image91
        Jayne Lancerposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Very good point!