jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (10 posts)

How does one hook up the RSS Feed Box To make it work?

1. Paula Andrea, MA profile image25
    Paula Andrea, MAposted 7 years ago

It seems as if I am the least knowledgeable person on the hub, but every time I try to place a link in the the RSS Feed Box, it shows message which says it is clearly not working. Please help me unlock one more "hubbing on the internet" secret. I send my gratitude in advance.

2. Fawntia profile image
    Fawntiaposted 7 years ago

What does the message say? What RSS feed are you trying to use?

3. Paula Andrea, MA profile image25

Fawntia,

Thank you for trying to help me. I am almost 'helpless' when it comes to the mechanics of these hubs. First of all, I don't understand what the box needs. I put the URL int he slot but here's what comes back:  I have copied it exactly:

Use the RSS Capsule to displays headlines based on a RSS feed URL. Enter the RSS feed URL into the box and click "Preview current RSS". You'll see the most recent headlines from your designated source. Use it to provide headlines relevant to your topic or interests.

What does it want me to do?

4. Paula Andrea, MA profile image25

OH, I am now answering your second question.  "What RSS Feed are you trying to use?"  Is there more than one?  Mine, I thought. I put in the URL of the hub page I am on. Is this not right?

1. Uninvited Writer profile image84
      Uninvited Writerposted 7 years ago in reply to this

This is your RSS:

http://hubpages.com/author/Paula+Andrea … atest/?rss

You find it by clicking on your profile where it says subscribe to the feed.

5. Paula Andrea, MA profile image25

Thank you Uninvited Writer,
    I copy and pasted the feed URL you gave me and the same message repeated. What am I doing wrong? What URL needs to go in the RSS feed box? Bear with me as I do the best I can in following your instructions. Thanks

6. Paula Andrea, MA profile image25

I must be asking the wrong question.  But, I DO appreciate the information regarding what an RSS Feed is and where it's located.  However, what I really want to know is what to do with the RSS Feed when I post a new hub. What URL do I post in that box when I'm in the edit mode for a capsule?  I sure hope I worded this question right. {Since I don't have a clue as to what it is I'm talking about} I have even confused myself.

7. Fawntia profile image

There are tons of RSS feeds on the web. Most blogs and news sites have them. For example, the RSS feed for the New York Times is here. An RSS feed is a stream of the latest content from a source. So, if you wanted to put a short list of the latest NY Times articles on your hub that would automatically be updated, you would use an RSS feed for that. Normally you would use an RSS feed that is related to the topic of your hub.

Here is a link to our guide about how to use the RSS capsule. You might also do a search on HubPages and read what other hubbers have written about RSS feeds and how to use them.

8. Paula Andrea, MA profile image25

Fawntia,

Thank you.  thank you. Thank you. For the first time in four months, I finally know what a RSS Feed is and what it's designed to do. I took your advice and followed the links and PRESTO I had "lift off" Yeah.  I feel great.  Isn't it funny how the smallest things make the biggest difference?  I posted another question because I had asked it wrong in the first place. But, now you have eliminated the need for any additional information. I am a fan, forever. Best...

9. Fawntia profile image

No problem. Glad I could help.

working