jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (9 posts)

Using coded links

1. Judy Filarecki profile image91
    Judy Filareckiposted 2 years ago

Is it better to embed a coded link within a capsule or put it into a "link" capsule?

Judy Filareckiposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I like embedding them because I add the code target="_blank" which tells the computer to open the link on a new page. When HP puts links in, they always close the Hub and open the link over it. Viewers then have to click the back arrow to get back to the hub and that is annoying to me and probably other people also. With my code, both pages stay open.

2. LindaSmith1 profile image59
    LindaSmith1posted 2 years ago

you put the ASIN in the capsule

3. relache profile image88
    relacheposted 2 years ago

Which works best for the flow of info and content?  I use both techniques, but where appropriate.  I tend not to embed links unless I want the reader to take action right in mid-read.

4. profile image0
    bobtyndallposted 2 years ago

I was under the impression that you can't embed much of anything. Hubpages strips out most html. You need to use your link module. If I'm wrong I would like to know the process for embedding code.

It gets kind of complicated but really not hard. If you notice when you are in edit, this is a grayed out link choice in the top menu toward the right. If you copy a URL into your text then highlight it, the link command becomes active. If you click on it a new menu comes up for you to paste the URL in. Click save and the link is now active on your page. The whole URL is visible and can be modified right there if you want to have different words showing instead of the full URL. If you are familiar with HTML coding, there is an html button on the on the left side of the top menu and you can type in specific code. That is how I get that target code in.
      Hope that helps.

5. profile image0

Hi Judy
    I know how to do a hyperlink. But that isn't the same as embedding specific coding. On the left of the text capsule there is an html link. Click that and it brings up a new page. It tells you there what html code you can use. I have tried pasting various codes in there and what shows is just a text link. For example. at Pinterest you can generate a "link to me code" with an image. When you use it, all that shows is a text link. The same for generating a board link on pinterest. It is java script and nothing shows except a text link again.

I have only used it as a text link to bring it to either another hub or to a web page some place on the internet. The links work fine. The one thing I did learn is when you go to save the link, a page comes up saying what codes are allowed or your codes need cleaning up. At first I clicked "clean" and it deleted my link, so now I just click OK and my link comes up functionally fine. I'm not sure if there will be a change someplace along the way, but for now, my system is working.

6. profile image0

We'll just have to be satisfied with what we have smile

working