jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (18 posts)

Uh-oh! While editing a hub, my mouse hit the Amazon link!

1. Shades-of-truth profile image87
    Shades-of-truthposted 2 years ago

I know we are not supposed to ever click on links in our own hubs, or other people's hubs, either. At least that is my understanding.

While I was putting a new photo up on one of my hubs, my finger slipped on the mouse, and off I went to the Amazon product I was linking to.

Do I need to send an email to HP administrators, or something?

1. carny profile image88
      carnyposted 2 years ago in reply to this

You can click on Amazon links as much as you want. I click them all the time for testing purposes. Just make sure to clear your cookies before you buy anything.

2. Christy Kirwan profile image
      Christy Kirwanposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Hi Shades,

Clicking once or twice will not be penalized. Amazon (and the other Ad networks as well) understand that sometimes users click by accident, and you should be fine unless a significant number of fraudulent clicks are detected. Long story short: try not to click them in the future, but don't worry about it! smile

Shades-of-truthposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Thank you, Christy. I was glad to hear every say that it can happen once in a while. Finger slippage is hard to control, though, and that is what occasioned it.

2. dwelburn profile image96
    dwelburnposted 2 years ago

Don't think it matters about Amazon links as no commissions are paid unless something is sold. It's the other ads you should not click.

3. Cari Kay 11 profile image95
    Cari Kay 11posted 2 years ago

I had a very unusual ad on my website via Google Ads.  I couldn't help myself and clicked on it.  Definitely don't want to do anything to upset the Apple cart there but nothing ever happened and, I checked, Adsense didn't even register it...phew...

4. taiwokareem profile image84
    taiwokareemposted 2 years ago

its okay as long as its not done intentionally. I i was Google and I realised that more than 20 ads were clicks by mistake in a matter of an hour then I'll be suspicious.

5. Rusty Quill profile image78
    Rusty Quillposted 2 years ago

No it shouldn't be a problem just clicking on an amazon link - just don't buy anything on amazon (within 24 hours) without clearing your cookies. Adsense ads are different however, those are more important not to click on. One stray click shouldn't be an issue though.

I had a similar miss click on one of my amazon links while I was editing the hub and when I hit the back button all my work for the past hour was gone! Luckily I refreshed the page and it was back but that was a scary moment. smile

Yes, RustyQuill, that happened, to me also. I am not sure if I refreshed the page, or back clicked, or how - but what I had been typing reappeared.

Once those of us who came from Squidoo get the hang of all of the nuances here, perhaps we will not be in "panic mode" so much. It's foreign to my nature, anyway!

6. Shades-of-truth profile image87
    Shades-of-truthposted 2 years ago

Thank you, everyone! Right after I posted that, I had to attend to some customers, and was so relieved to see your answers. Phew!

I thought we were not supposed to click on ANY ads...

Many thanks!

7. 0
    bobtyndallposted 2 years ago

Why would it make any difference if you clicked on an amazon link. Clicks don't count for anything. I've clicked a few links just to make sure they where working alright. As long as you aren't buying anything, I don't see it being any kind of problem.

To bobtyndall: Since I have recently come to HubPages from Squidoo, I did not know that. Also, I am always leery of doing anything to violates policies, so I thought we weren't supposed to click on any ads.

My concern was one of ignorance - I simply didn't understand, and am not that familiar with what is tracked when a linked is clicked.

Really appreciate all of the input from you all!

8. Rusty Quill profile image78
    Rusty Quillposted 2 years ago

So true - good luck in the transition. smile

Thank you, Rusty Quill!

9. Rochelle Frank profile image89
    Rochelle Frankposted 2 years ago

I tend to be cautious, so I avoid clicking on Amazon links and Adsense links on all hubs, but I've done it by accident a couple of times, too. Probably everyone has.
    If you see an ad that interests you, it is better to close HP and go Google it or search Amazon.

Got it! smile

10. Redneck Lady Luck profile image80
    Redneck Lady Luckposted 2 years ago

You can click on Amazon ads as often as you like but NEVER Google adsense ads or you will risk losing your account. I had directly asked at Amazon re: affiliate account about clicking ads to check for expired products and if this would affect our account. I was told no and it was an acceptable way to check for expired products.

Good to hear. I'll bet I am not the only one who did not know the difference in what is acceptable to click on, and what is not.

working