Wow! Only 6 Weeks Ago

Jump to Last Post 1-30 of 30 discussions (122 posts)
  1. Arachnea profile image66
    Arachneaposted 9 years ago

It's been only six weeks since that fateful morning when I learned, before my morning coffee no less, that I'd be moving my lenses to HP. I seem none the worse for the event and am glad I made the move. You, fellow former-Squids and Hubbers? How have your thoughts changed or not since that announcement?

1. lisavollrath profile image88
      lisavollrathposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Well, my initial thought was what the heck is HubPages, because I'd never even heard of this site before. And while quite a few of my regular readers from my own web sites followed me at Squidoo, only one has joined up here at HubPages. I just don't think people in my niches know anything about this site. Maybe that will change.

As for HubPages itself, I like the tools and the reporting. I like that I can find an answer to almost anything about how to use the site, or whether something is allowed, almost immediately. And I'm enjoying going through all my old content, and expanding it. It's surprising how much more I have to say on some of my topics!

Oh, and I could definitely do without some of the snark directed at former Squids.

Arachneaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I had the same thought too. I'd not really heard of HubPages. As for snark. I'm sure the word originates from Lewis Carol's poem, The Hunting of the Snark (http://www.tigtail.org/TIG/HOT/Scripts/ … k.1876.pdf). I somehow don't think that's what you're referring to though. wink Maybe, it's just a thang that will pass? I know my colds usually do if I ignore them. wink
        http://s1.hubimg.com/u/11843160.jpg

1. Phyllis Doyle profile image92
          Phyllis Doyleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That is funny, Arachnea - Hunting of the Snark.  yes, just ignore thangs like colds that will pass. smile

2. lisavollrath profile image88

Hah! That's excellent. It never occurred to me that snark originated somewhere other than the Internet.

2. Phyllis Doyle profile image92

Lisa, just lighten up on the mentioning the very small percentage of negativity. Rise above it and continue the fine work you have been doing with your hubs. Let the snarky remarks go and ignore them. You were one of the first, if not thee first to respond to my welcome and I liked your positive attitude. Keep that chin and good attitude up. It gets tiresome to hear positive remarks that end with a "BUT ...."

It's equally tiresome to see the same three or four people hammering at former Squids in every post I visit on this forum. Honestly, it makes me tired, watching people pointing their fingers at us, and blaming us for every problem. I've tried to make light of it, but I'm afraid it's wearing me down.

Maybe that's because of two things I've observed since I've been here:

- The writing on HubPages isn't that great. That's a HUGE generalization, because there are some great articles here, but there's also some downright garbage posted. I've been hopping hubs every couple of days, since before the transfer started, and I've seen more garbage than greatness. It hurts me that people are holding HubPages up as some shining jewel of writing quality, when I really can't tell the difference between some of the stuff I've seen here, and some of the stuff I saw at Squidoo.

- I'm on Mechanical Turk, and when I saw that HubPages uses it, I signed up to hop hubs for pay. In less than a day of hopping, I was dismissed from the program, for scoring items too low. Except I really wasn't scoring them too low, according to what I was reading on the chart. HubPages is being incredibly lenient with their scoring system, which is allowing articles that really aren't good to get a good score.

So. It's hard for me not to mention the snark, because really, HubPages has its own problems, that have nothing to do with us Squids.

1. Solaras profile image95
            Solarasposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I don't know that anyone is holding up HP as a shining jewel of quality.  What has people up in arms, is that HP got smacked down, and after many painful changes that caused many of the original writers to leave in frustration, HP finally recovered.

People are concerned that since Squidoo appeared to be under a Google penalty, bringing over those lenses without QAP would bring the curse with it. Now with the Panda update and the Lenses transferred over there is a wholesale slaughter going on, which is not helped by the stalled pageviews counter. People are panicked.

I have actually seen a little rebound today.  Hopefully that will continue for all of us.  Please keep hopping hubs, its the only control we have over copied content, spun content and just plain crap.

BTW I see all level of writing in the Hub Hopper, some great, others need a little work and others are reported.  I do wish there was a mechanism to tell people about some typos or lack of commas that need to be addressed.

I'm not trying to imply that everything I've seen is bad, because it's not. There's some good, well-written stuff here on HubPages. There are also articles clearly written by people who failed freshman English, or who aren't yet proficient enough in English to write an article.

I saw someone mention that all Squidoo content should be sent through HubPro for professional editing. I was an editor online for three years. I'd like to take a red pen to a bunch of the hubs I've hopped, regardless of who wrote them, or where they originated.

Painting all Squidoo content with the same inferior brush just doesn't tell the whole story.

Hub Pro is an interesting concept. I had just been announced maybe 2 weeks before the Squidoo announcement.  Only the Beta folks really know what happens in that program.  However, the way it is set up now, the hubs with the best traffic will get attention first.  So those most needing the most help will probably never get the help they need to bring their hubs up to par.

I don't think that you have all been painted with that brush of inferiority, however the penalty was in place for some reason, and people are afraid that that will affect their accounts too.  Assuming there were 75,000 excellent articles, and 100,000 spammy articles, that's a lot to drop on a site in one week.  I think some people are madder at management than at those who transferred.

Also, articles coming over on the same topics as existing hubs will necessarily dilute the pageviews for both the original hub and the transferred hub.  So there will be some resentment there too.

Don't take it personally - this is just human nature when folks have worked hard to build something, and an unseen giant in the form of a Panda comes and crushes our little Utopia.

Just as it is when Squids have worked hard to build something, and an unseen giant in the form of a merger crushes ours. To be told not to respond when we're having a pile of smelly brown stuff dumped on our heads by a few of our new neighbors just isn't realistic. At least not in my neighborhood.

Who told you not to respond?

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
            Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I'd love you to start a new thread about your experience with Mechanical Turk - maybe in the Feature Suggestions section with the suggestion "Need to lift standards on QAP".   The "HubPages Official" sections are the only ones which HubPages staff actively monitor and I think someone needs to see your feedback.

I think the main reason you're still seeing rubbish on HP is nothing to do with QAP.  One or two Hubbers seem to imagine that every Hub on HP has gone through QAP, but I think that's impossible:  QAP hasn't been around very long.  People forget that.  I can't see how the small QAP team could possibly have got through about five years' worth of Hubs which were written before it was introduced.

So yes, perhaps rubbish did come over from Squidoo, but we can't say we'd finished cleaning house ourselves. 

As for your negativity - you made a fair comment and I think you just stated a fact. I'm still trying to work out why you'd be called out on such a mild statement.

If there was a thread about Mechanical Turk, I would happily contribute my two cents, but right now, you couldn't pay me to start one!

Yes, I'm a chicken. Hear me cluck.

1. Craftypicks profile image78
                Craftypicksposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I do Mechanical Turk every once in a while. What a crazy site. Not really worth doing it with any real idea of making money. It's good when you are bored.

3. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
        TIMETRAVELER2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

1. Marisa Wright profile image86

TT2, if you go back and read Lisa's original post, you'll see she was not being negative at all:
          http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/125338#post2645800

She has only one short sentence at the end about the snarks - and let's face it, she's not lying, there is one individual who's been following Squids around and making sarcastic remarks on every forum.

What happened was that Phyllis told her to "lighten up", Lisa misunderstood and felt she had to defend herself.   If Phyllis had said nothing, none of those long posts about the negativity would've been written. So it's unfair to have a go at Lisa for being negative - she wasn't, really.  As you can see from the original post, she's enjoying HubPages.

Marisa, you and Lisa both need to stop quoting only the "lighten up" part of my entire post and read the rest of it -- and stop making me look like a villain.   I agree with TT2. We should all "lighten up" and you need to stop reprimanding and pointing fingers. I befriended LisaV when she first came here and am not very happy right now about this outcome. To make you happy, I will stop following this thread and not post here again.

I think it's been a long week, and an even longer weekend, and we should all have a bowl of ice cream with sprinkles, and hug our teddies (or, in my case, a very wiggly rat terrier puppy named Jack).

I'm sad that my original honest comment has sparked this much discord. I'm sorry if anything I've said has offended anyone here, especially Phyllis, who was the very first person to welcome the Squids here, in a sea of other people's "zohmygod, the sky is falling" posts about how bad us coming might be.

Now, someone hand me a can of Snark-B-Gone. I'm gonna do a little spraying before bed...

Good for you, Lisa. Ice cream, Snark-B-Gone, and bed sounds good to me. Have a good evening. And thank you for the kind comments.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
            TIMETRAVELER2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

If people are doing that to her, then she needs to report them and be done with it.  Let the team handle it.

I thought of doing that but the trouble is, those sarcastic comments are never direct attacks so I doubt they'd qualify for a ban.

2. Craftypicks profile image78

I was pretty sad when Squidoo made the announcement, but I am very happy now. Even with some of the things that are happening. There are things on Hubs that Squidoo didn't have that I like much better. I am getting used to the interface and it's really not that hard. I learn things everyday so it's made me grow as a writer. The growing pains we have now will pass.

3. kenneth avery profile image80
      kenneth averyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Arachnea,
      I am glad to have you on HubPages. YOU add so much to the information flow.

4. kenneth avery profile image80

Deleted

Oh, wow. Kenneth, you'll want to delete some of those probably. I hate it when that happens. One of the apps I use at work misbehaves for one particular hospital. Notes post multiple times (20+). Egads!

5. kenneth avery profile image80

I am very glad that you are here

6. kenneth avery profile image80

I am very glad that you are here

7. kenneth avery profile image80

Bravo for you all being over on HP.

8. kenneth avery profile image80

9. kenneth avery profile image80

10. kenneth avery profile image80

11. kenneth avery profile image80

12. kenneth avery profile image80

13. kenneth avery profile image80

Arachnea,
      I think I got them all deleted, but this clicking, refreshing and clicking again is making me weary.

Thanks, Kenneth. I know the site is fussy right now. Perhaps not the only thing that is, but at least you were able to do that. I'm sure it wasn't intentional on your part. Hope you have a great week. Trying to pork out one more hub before I quit.

1. kenneth avery profile image80

Dear Arachnea,
          You are right. I hate it when technology rebels. I hope YOU have a great and safe week.
          smile

2. DrMark1961 profile image97
        DrMark1961posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Kenneth. My thread still shows a lot of your posts, but for some reason it is working okay now. It sounds like a good night not to publish a hub!

Thanks Doc.
          I needed some good news. Today was a trying day for me. Glad to hear your news.
          Kenneth

14. MelRootsNWrites profile image89
      MelRootsNWritesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Arachnea,
      My pages were gasping for air on Squidoo, I was disillusioned about all the changes that seemed to be happening weekly, and was already looking for a new home for my articles.  I hadn't even worked on my stuff in several weeks.

I didn't really expect miracles.  Some of the more savvy members warned that their would be a bump in traffic and then a fall off--that it would take time for the search engines to sort out these newly converted pages.  They also warned that it would take work to massage some of the lenses into the new format.  So, I went in with my usual worse case scenario thinking which helps keep things in perspective.

For the most part, thanks to good support within the former Squidoo community and within HP, my transition has been a fairly positive one.  The new content management system was easy to work with and after creating a few hubs I got a sense for what they should look like.  I'm still getting the hang of it.  Reformatting a former lens isn't as easy as it seems.  Things that looked fine on SQ don't work at all here (i.e.  the smaller images needed for SQ are mostly pixelated on HP). 

Like many folks, I am sick of old articles edits.  I am looking for a return to stability and I'm hoping that HP can provide that.  Meanwhile, I'm editing my hubs as best I can and hoping for better results than I got on the other site the last 6-8 months.

MelRootsNWrites, because of the time frame in which I joined Squidoo, I didn't really grasp the "man behind the curtains." I wasn't aware of the PANDA thing because it had not affected me previously. I wasn't aware of the decline in the success rate on Squidoo. I had been content as a result and learned everything I could. What I learned there has helped me cope here.

An open mind and optimism makes it easier to deal with the worst and truly appreciate the best in a situation. I like your outlook in that wise. For images with most things that I create them for, I go as large as possible then reduce to the size needed for the job, keeping 300 dpi at least. This has made it easier for me to transition my images that I had. I also don't delete anything. I'm an ePack-Rat.

I'm going at them as I'm able, too. I work a f-t job and don't have as much time as when I was off for medical leave a few months back. I think it's better to produce a high a quality as is possible at the rate that I'm able.

I think learning from those better examples here it will also be possible to establish a successful Hub record.

1. MelRootsNWrites profile image89
          MelRootsNWritesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Arachnea,
          I have to laugh.  I had not heard the name of the owner of Squidoo until the announcement.  And, Panda, as far as I was concerned, was a cute black and white animal.  So, I was a bit oblivious to the turmoil going on in the background.  What I did know was that after being with Squidoo for a couple of years, my lenses were finally started to earn income in August of 2013.  That lasted until March, when the whole bottom fell out.  Well, I won't rehash old news.

I went on in my own world, writing about things that interested me.  This is why I think the move to hub pages will eventually be a positive for me. The first year, I was in a writing group on the other website.  It was informative and I grew as a writer.  It was very helpful to me.  I learned a lot/  But, I found over the last year or so I didn't really fit in any more.  I think my articles might fit in better here, at least that's my hope.

I guess I'm in the group that has nothing to lose because it wasn't really working anymore where I was.

15. profile image0
      swilliamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks to outgoing writers such as yourself Arachnea, I believe the merge has worked our well the Hubpage forum is exciting and enhanced with talented new writers.

I think, swilliams, that the combined mutual support between Squids and Hubbers has made the move doable. There are a lot of positives too with the new arena. I think too that the combined positives between the two camps can make this just one large positive camping ground for all.

2. Ann Hinds profile image68
    Ann Hindsposted 9 years ago

What I have found is that like lisavollrath, many of my new hubs needed more words and could have been better written. We tend to get complacent and this has given me an opportunity to really look at each one. Right now, they are all being brought up to HubPages basic standards but now I know I need to go back and really look at them individually when I'm done with all the reworks. I think it was a bad thing that happened to us but in the long run, it we value our writing, it can turn into a silver lining.

3. chateaudumer profile image83
    chateaudumerposted 9 years ago

My experience with HP has been good so far. I will wait another 6 months to see if it the move from being a lensmaster to a hubber is indeed a positive move.

4. goatfury profile image91
    goatfuryposted 9 years ago

I was actually already on Hubpages before the transfer (here @ goatfury), but 90 of my lenses transferred over as hubs at my other profile (revolutionbjj).  Overall I'm pretty happy with having moved them over, although it has represented a great deal of work to clean them up and make them more compatible with the hubpages format.

All told, I like the Hubpages interface a lot, and I find it easy to make longer form articles here than just about anywhere else.  smile

5. Dressage Husband profile image67
    Dressage Husbandposted 9 years ago

I have experienced all of the things mentioned here and could have done without having to put in the time revising all my lenses. However now it is done I am happier to be here than I was at Squidoo.

I am getting better traffic and more interest so far. So I think it will work out. I think a lot of the snark is people are finding it hard to see a lot of the Giants come in and be rated in the 90's when they have struggled for years to do it. Not having been Squids they believe a lot of the nonsense that is being said about Squidoo not having any good writers. Just ignore it your following will build up with time especially if we work at it like we always did.

I like it here so far.

1. William15 profile image89
      William15posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Ha! I think you'll find that anyone that's been on HP for a while cares very little about their hubber score.

6. Arachnea profile image66

When it comes to change, there a a number of ways that people will deal with it:

1. Some folks look for the silver lining and move on. They want to keep a positive spin on things because the negative minutiae doesn't really mean a whole gosh darn to them.
    2. Some folks whine. That's it. They just whine. Perhaps because they've been conditioned in their own lives that no one will listen to them anyway. Who knows?
    3. You have the doomsayer. Because they hope in the end their words would be a self-filling prophesy and they can feel good about themselves because they were right.
    4. You have those who make the object of change the devil which they must cast out. So they chase and torment the object come demon all over the place hoping to cast it out and complete their exorcism. I think these folks are emulating the snark to the best of their ability.
    5. Finally, those folks who not only possess the characteristics of the people I mention in number one, but also want to encourage a positive outcome will do all they can to try to smooth things over, provide places of positive refuge and establish positive ties between all concerned. You'll rarely hear or read a harsh word from them about another member of the community. They'll rarely try to gag anyone on their point of view and "the doctrine says" rendition of the rules. And most importantly of all, they don't run with the mob to the lynching, they usually find another more constructive and inspiring position from which to operate.

Now this may just be a figment of my imagination, but ... .

I have to say that I believe that some of Lisa's frustration is born from the fact that one of y'all's heavy hitters and one of our Guru's have decided that they don't like each other's attitudes.  This leads to some feeling attacked from all sides, while it provides light entertainment for others.

Really, I could narrow it down to three people:

One has posted something nasty about Squidoo and transferred content in just about every large thread since I got here, and is on my list that starts with S for life. Apparently, this person thinks we're responsible for everything that is wrong with the world, including this morning's hangnails. I've been reading this stuff for six weeks now. In fact, this person's posts were the first thing I read on HubPages. Welcome, unwelcome, burdensome, illiterate guests!

One is a malcontent, who seems to post only negative thoughts wherever she roams, so her nastiness is not confined to Squids, but does seem to spray over us pretty regularly. While I can usually find humor in this type of person, I can honestly say there's nothing funny about what she writes, or the alarming regularity with which she writes it.

One appears to think the snark is funny. I'm not sure yet if that's genuine and clueless, passive-aggressive, or just plain mean.

That's a short list, so let it go for the time being and focus on your hubs and being positive.  We do have forum bans on this site - some are permanent.

Personal attacks are not allowed.  I can think of one hubber who is normally very vocal and pulled a naughty the other day.  They are either laying low or suffering a ban.  Don't put yourself in that position.

And by the way, I don't want to minimize your sense of persecution, I just mean that you should use your time productively.  I should too, and write an article instead of messing around over here...

I'm never going to name names, or add any information that would lend itself to identifying the culprits. My mother used to tell me I had a Libra's overdeveloped sense of justice, so while I may have narrowed in on the Three Amigos, I doubt anyone else has.

And I have a great excuse for hanging out here and the QA, beyond the fact that I love answering questions and finding information for people: I'm waiting for paint to dry. Or glue. It's always one or the other. I work five minutes, then wait for that layer to dry. Then I work another five minutes. This goes on from the moment I wake up, until I go to sleep. Work five minutes. Play with the dog. Work five minutes. Go do a grocery run...

LOL - I'm a Libra too.

1. profile image0
                Snakesmumposted 9 years agoin reply to this

+1

2. DrMark1961 profile image97

(Sorry, I was replying to Lisa´s comment but it showed up as a reply to Solaras.)
            Even without any names your descriptions are so good that I know who you are talking about.
            That second person you mentioned is also unsuccessful here on HP (and probably everywhere, and not just on the internet) so her anger seems to go everywhere. I try to ignore her threads.
            I think that third person is afraid this whole thing is going to fall apart.

2. Phyllis Doyle profile image92

So report her and let someone else worry about it.  You should not let her control your emotions and take up any more of your time. You only give her power when you let it get to you.

Nah. If we reported her, who would we roll our eyes about? My eye muscles need the exercise! Besides, if she's not doing well here, I feel sort of sorry for her. Maybe the daily snark-a-thon here in the forums is all she has.

7. Arachnea profile image66

Now, Lisa,
    I'd like think the snarks you've encountered,
    And, quite a few it would seem,
    would go the way of the snark,
    By very much the same meme ...

"... In the midst of the word he was trying to say,
    In the midst of his laughter and glee,
    He had softly and suddenly vanished away—
    For the Snark was a Boojum, you see... ."

Lewis Carroll
    "The Hunting of the Snark"

8. Arachnea profile image66

As far as I'm concerned any complaint or disagreement is worthless unless it's channeled into a venue that would result in positive change. It's fine to defend one's right to be annoyed or even angry about something but the energy is wasted if it's not pointed in a direction that will result in change. When I have a nit to pick, I go right to the place I can find resolution or I don't waste the energy.

9. Coffee-Break profile image84
    Coffee-Breakposted 9 years ago

I am a positive person, so when the move was announced, I had high hopes.
    For a few days my traffic was really great, at least 50% more than at Squidoo, and I had high hopes.

Now the traffic took a huge dive, and is still going down. I have no logical explanation for this, and I know that for some lensmasters it worked out well, but for many of us is just downwards.

I am a little desperate, and I think I am going to start moving hubs on my own domain. Short term the move is going to bring me less than on HubPages, I mean 0$ vs 1.4$ per day. But long term this should be better.

I will give it another week or so to see if there will be any positive change. Normally, on a platform like this, I should be getting more traffic than on my own website, so I don't really want to make the move, but if things don't change, I have to do something.

Will a week be enough? I mean can you make a definite determination in only a week more (7+ weeks)? I'm not sure what my expectations were but I'm willing to give it a go for a longer period of time. I've wondered frequently if it isn't like watching one's stock profile. It's better to make decisions over a long period of observation rather than a short period.

2. Solaras profile image95

Sit tight for a few weeks - Panda has everyone in a panic.  Use this time to improve your hubs for wherever the end up.  You can make much more money here than with Adwords on your own blog.

10. kenneth avery profile image80
    kenneth averyposted 9 years ago

Arachnea, just noticed that the forum I read this will not post until I hit my keyboard a dozen times, photos are not loading oh hubs and hubs will not open where I get my comments and looks like HP is just taking their time to address these problems.

If you refresh instead of hitting the submit button multiple times, it will work eventually.

They're having server issues and HubPages staff don't work on weekends.  On another thread, they said the engineers have been called out and are looking into the problems.  Looks like the server upgrade has a few bugs.

Marisa,
        This is NOT the only problem. I just published a hub that would normally run me about 20 minutes, but with HP going on and off, fading and not loading my capsules, how does 1 hour strike you? Please, I beg you. See if HP can fix these bugs.
        Sincerely,
        ME

11. kenneth avery profile image80

Arachnea, just noticed that the forum I read this will not post until I hit my keyboard a dozen times, photos are not loading oh hubs and hubs will not open where I get my comments and looks like HP is just taking their time to address these problems.

12. kenneth avery profile image80

13. kenneth avery profile image80

14. kenneth avery profile image80

15. kenneth avery profile image80

16. kenneth avery profile image80

17. kenneth avery profile image80

HubPages staff do not normally work on weekends.   They have had engineers in this weekend due to the server problems - there are a couple of other threads where you can see they are working on it.

2. Arachnea profile image66

They've got some bugs going on. But at least there's the delete button. wink

3. DrMark1961 profile image97

Since you posted here, this thread is no longer working correctly. Can you delete all of these extra posts? Thank you.

18. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 9 years ago

This thread isn't working properly so no idea whether you can read this reply - but all I can say is, on another thread they do say the engineers are working on it.  Sometimes bugs are hard to find.  And yes, it is affecting many different things across the site and they know.

19. costumesngifts profile image66
    costumesngiftsposted 9 years ago

I'm still having some growing pains, specifically with adjusting photo sizes but apart from that, the move to HubPages has been a welcome change smile I hope that I will grow to love this platform even more in the months and years to come and I do hope HP stays online forever!

Yes, it can take time to get adjusted and pick up the ropes. I I'm fairly certain once the migration has been given time to settle, things will move along quite nicely. There will always be bumps in the road but unless the world will end by doing so, it never hurts to consider going around them.

20. Arachnea profile image66

I'm sensitive to pesticides and such. So, lightly please.

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/11844161_f1024.jpg

Nice! I'm glad you got the jumbo can. I'm sure we'll use it all!

I save a few pennies by buying in bulk. Have a great evening.

21. Shorebirdie profile image74
    Shorebirdieposted 9 years ago

For me, I hoped that I would do better over here without the levels and such.  That's what bothered me most about Squidoo.  You could write a thousand articles over there and not get a penny for them while Squidoo gets all the content.  At least I earn something on all of them here.  I don't like the $50 payment threshold, though.

There's a few things I don't like about HubPages, but I mostly like it.  I like that you get a feed on your home page where you can see the latest posts, hubs, and status updates, for example.

I think what sums it up, Shorebirdie, is that it'll be what one makes of it. I know  for some there's the hope that this will be a real money-making enterprise. For others, not so much. I figure if I get a few pennies out of it, that's icing on top of the cake. My "goals" lie elsewhere.

22. profile image0
    Colin323posted 9 years ago

The transition for me from Squidoo to HubPages has been unproblematic, although I still have to watch out for the stray word 'lens' in transferred work. I like the fact that minority subjects here, such as poetry, have a better chance of thriving, and the forums are livelier, more candid, and as a result probably more honest.

23. Arachnea profile image66

MelRootsNWrites, I'm sure there are a lot of folks in that same group.

Colin323, me too. That and a few other Squidoo specific habits. It'll be interesting to see where things are in about five months.

24. Dressage Husband profile image67
    Dressage Husbandposted 9 years ago

Personally I think that this site has way more potential upside than we had at Squidoo. I am just hoping that HP staff can handle the higher workload and that the new Hubs and server upgrades are all resolved. Since HP gave us 4 months to settle in before being strict I think we should give them the same time to get everything sorted too.

We may complain about all the extra work we have but they have 175,000 plus Lenses to get settled in along with all their accompanying issues. I have done a first over review and now they have rewarded me with a 96 Hubber score, but I feel many of my lenses are still mediocre. Sure they comply with their rules, but I have only made the "necessary changes" so far.

I was seeing higher traffic but this weekend's pretty much killed it and I am down to Squidoo levels (slight rise again today).

Lets all just show all the negative ones what we are made of and what we can do!

25. Lionrhod profile image80
    Lionrhodposted 9 years ago

For me, it's only been a couple weeks, rather than 6, but now that I've gotten over the minor bumps of working out how HP's site works, I think I'll enjoy being here.

I've already (thank goodness!) finished going over my hubs and weeding out the Amazon junk. (Lucky I only had a few.) I'm now working on an article and hope to publish my first new hub in the next few days.

Since I was pretty new on Squidoo, and offline for more than a couple months, I have no idea if traffic is going up or down for me. But I'm happy to say that I've already made a good portion of what I ever made at Squidoo in just the couple weeks I've been here. Hopefully as I write more articles, that'll be going up.

I'm another one who didn't know that a Panda was anything other than a cute, furry beast, and I had no clue what was going down at Squidoo. It certainly makes me more aware of what's going on, and I'm now trying to learn more about how the search engines work, (I was heavily into SEO back until about 2004, but things have changed a LOT since then.)

There are a few things I miss about Squidoo - in particular that it was fun. I miss the cute badges and graphics and I really miss the ability to have a nice background instead of the blank ugly white and blue format here. And I miss Rocket Squids and their writing prompts. LOL and I still haven't figured out how to fix my duel modules.

But other than that, I've found old friends and made some new ones and I'm starting to get comfortable in my new nest.

26. Lynne-Modranski profile image80
    Lynne-Modranskiposted 9 years ago

Was it really only six weeks ago?

I had a lot of apprehension with the move.  I already had a little account here (started it when Squidoo started to falter and I wasn't making as much money, but Adsense kept me from going very far).  And because of my previous experience with AdSense, my apprehension was just worse.  And to increase that apprehension all I seemed to find in the forum before I created the new account was negativity about Squidoo - if I'd have read one more post about how terrible Seth Godin was or how poor the writers on Squidoo were, I would have probably cried.  (I signed in under my first HubPages account to see what I was getting into)

Fast Forward six weeks - Everything moved smoothly and just this week my Adsense account finally got approved.  Even the glitches that kept me from editing my pages seems to finally have been worked out.  I think I'm officially a "Hubber" now and quite happy about it!

I'm obviously still a little attached to Squidoo because when I read posts like "get rid of the Squid junk" something twists deep inside.  I tend to develop loyalties to people who I feel like helped me, and I have that kind of attachment to Squidoo.  It's that platform that introduced me to making money with my writing on the internet.  It's Squidoo that gave me a place to introduce my curriculum and books and drove traffic to my books on Amazon.  I also felt like the staff at Squidoo was a bit more present and accessible.  So I kinda miss that.   

But I've found some really great folks here at Hubpages and I'm enjoying getting to know most.  I like the payout plan better here, and even though I'm not crazy about the whole AdSense thing, I think it's going to be more lucrative. 

I think the one thing I wish more than anything else is that those who are "over" or don't care about Squidoo will allow those of us with some attachments to "grieve" for just a few more  months.  I think if everyone would think of it as "not speaking ill of the dead" for just a while, it would ease some of the tensions, and the rest of us can keep our "mourning" to ourselves except in places like this where someone specifically asks for it.

1. Dressage Husband profile image67
      Dressage Husbandposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I like the mourning idea and I think you hit it on the head there!

I can appreciate that.  I would be very sad if HP shut down.

27. Sharlee01 profile image80
    Sharlee01posted 9 years ago

The move went well, I had no repair little logos. Thought "this is wonderful" ... I did tons of work before my lenses were transferred.For five days I had great traffic along with great earnings... Then the bottom fell out! My traffic is all but gone. It stopped accumulating , I wrote Hubpages they wrote back all was working well on my account. Most of my photos are gone, and earnings have pretty much stopped. Down to Penny's a day, and I am not sure where these are coming from, with lack of  traffic stats movement.  All of my hubs are what Hubpages call "evergreen".  As usual I see many are blaming this on Google. However, I am left to wonder??? I am tired of all the run around!

1. Lionrhod profile image80
      Lionrhodposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I think Google probably IS part of the problem.

I checked out your hubs and you've got a lot of hubs on a large variety of subjects. On Squidoo, they encouraged that, and on Squidoo it seemed to work a lot better because our subdomains went by subject, not author.

The problem is that (according to the research I've been doing over the last couple weeks) Google tends to like folks who stick to just a few subjects that they have "authority" in. That's a big ouchie for people who are "jack of all trades" people like me (and maybe you) with a wide variety of interests.

Right now I'm focusing on writing hubs that are in my largest two areas of expertise (psychic/Wicca/witchcraft/paganism and the art of writing). I'm hoping that eventually my body of hubs will "drown out" the occasional article on something else. I'm hoping that eventually Google will take note of my areas of expertise.

FYI: I noticed two tiny typos on your Casadaga Hotel hub. (Great hub!) Gotta love the fact that spell check doesn't work with homophones. I sent you a comment on it - please delete it after you read. Hope you don't mind. (There's actually a debate going on in the forums about the best way of letting other folks know about minor typos.)

I don't know that I had the chance to meet you on Squidoo, but I'm thrilled to have found you here. Going to be checking out your other hubs!

1. Sharlee01 profile image80
        Sharlee01posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I appreciate your comment, and will take it into consideration.

My personal blog is a single subject blog and since the update I have seen my traffic double. I don't do what so many bloggers do and just post other people's photos. Each post has content. I have had blogs that were multi topic and they didn't do as well. This is really the first blog that has really worked out. Since then I have started working on 3 others that will be single subject so I am agreeing with you right now because I am seeing the results, but you never know. Google can change it's mind in a flash and crash the traffic at whim.

Yup. I have three blogs. I haven't really checked their traffic, since I was planning on getting rid of them and moving their content to Squidoo and now to HP.

I just don't have the time and focus to manage 3 blogs and  getting the word out about them, so they've been dormant for a while. Even if it "dilutes" me, I think those articles might be better off on a single platform where I'm actively writing.

LOL doesn't help that due to some financial issues my writer's website crashed and burned a couple months ago when I couldn't afford the yearly GoDaddy payment, because buying dog/cat food was a higher priority.

1. justholidays profile image67
            justholidaysposted 9 years agoin reply to this

If I were you I wouldn't move my content to a place where I have no control over events.

Being in control is what ensures you that you'll keep earning money through blogging. You've seen what happened to Squidoo, and before than Associated content and then Yahoo where this content was moved, many other writing platforms were closed these past months.

Web 2.0 is more or less a thing of the past and closing may happen on any platform you write provided that it's not your site... So keep your content on your own blogs, move a part of your Hubs on there if they don't perform well here and focus on enlarging your sites content.

Just my two cents of course but I don't think in pullling all your eggs in one basket, especially when the basket isn't your property smile

I totally agree with you on this. I only moved 40 of my Squidoo lenses here. I am pretty happy with the way it turned out, but the remainder of my lenses (150 of them) were divided up among other writing sites and my own blogs. I am getting hit here with low traffic just like everyone else, but my personal blog has gone untouched so far. Content is Key. Keep your content ratio high and Google will kind. Try to skimp or scam and it will turn ugly.

2. Lionrhod profile image80

Thanks for your advice. I'm still debating the best way to go.

Either way I want to get rid of Blogger because I'm supremely uncomfy with Google thinking they own my content. I'm fairly sure my blogs don't have much traction, since 1) I haven't been working on them 2) I purely stink at marketing myself these last few years. (As an example, I only just decided to start using Twitter in the past year or so - and definitely don't use it often enough. I've started gaining a little traction on Pinterest At least folks are repinning me pretty often. As for FB, I consider it a giant waste of time and refuse to use it anymore. Plus I want to keep FB separate from my writing on the rare occasion I actually log in.

I'd started an author's website and sadly we had a few financial emergencies that ended up with losing my domain/website there. I don't know if retrieving my domain name is even possible, as I know folks scoop those up and try to sell them back to you for crazy money.   

So right now my choices, as I see them: Move my writing blog to Wordpress, move my writing blog to an account hubby just got us on tripod or put everything on HP.

And then my other concern is that my writing blog and my Wiccan/witchcraft writing is intrinsically connected, as my writing, both fiction and nonfiction is in the area of metaphysics, so I'm not sure that I wish to separate them.

I'd very much appreciate your further advice.

1. justholidays profile image67
                justholidaysposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Well, it is not the end of the world nor should it be the end of your online endeavours.

Let me tell you that I've got some abandoned Blogger blogs which were successful and even abandoned (in favor of Squidoo and HP - more Squidoo, after the HP move to subdomains, though), they used to generate a huge amount of traffic.

There are two different schemed that popped out from the way I re-worked on them after the first Squidoo dip last year.

The first blog, once revived and reworked tanked big time and is only now recovering - mind you, 12 months after I started writing on it again and incredibly lost ALL its traffic when I worked on it. No wonder N° 1 why I don't trust big G any more.

The second blog, once revived and added a few new posts, got back to its previous traffic rate, without a problem - No wonder N°2 why I don't trust big G any more.

As you can see, you can revive a Blogger blog, it is all a matter of time.

Next webhosting costs are sometimes a bit expensive. I don't worry about that, I did choose the best webhosting service in town that doesn't cost me more than $120 or so per year for unlimited everything that goes along including a free domain name for as long as I remain a customer.

No I didn't choose the most popular webhost with the most popular affiliate program in town, I just chose the one that best fitted within my budget when I started working online a few years ago.

Domain names are also sometimes expensive, especially when you compare them with GoDaddy that provides you with $2 domain names, but once again, in the very beginning, I invested a bit of money from my online earnings to pay for domain names for 2 years at least. This saved me some dollars here and there.

Even years ago I make a point NEVER spend a single red cent from my personal money, I pay everything with online earnings - mostly Squidoo - the rest being 100% profit from my own work, own sites, own efforts. That is what those Web 2.0 properties should have been and are meant for: helping you paying for your personal business endeavours.

I'm quite convinced that the free WordPress platform is not the answer to your business needs, they hate affiliate marketing with a passion and in this case Blogger is safer. But if you plan on getting a self-hosted WordPress blog, with some plugins like WordPress SEO and safety like WordFence plus a social plugin like Shareaholic, you're off to a good (re)start.

Next the Facebook thing. I'm not fan of social media either but noticed that if you do it the right way, you can get some additional traffic. My favorites are the FB pages - create a new FB account, set up a dedicated page per site you want to promote and when you have some funds to spend, do a promotion for the page.

A good alternative if you carefully study the time in the day social media work for your site is to just create a FB profile so that you can benefit from their in-house adverts - I use it sometimes to promote my own site. More effective and cheaper than Adwords last time I did a campaign (6 hours campaign, so as you can see it's a "small one") I earned $50 although I earned only $5.

Next, make sure to build a subscribers list so that you can let them know each time you posted on your sites. OK. Should listen to myself on that big_smile

Separating your niches : Marisa told earlier that it't not always a good idea. Personally I'd go for one big generic domain name that I'd divide in subdomains; one for each niche if they're all related to the generic one or all related to each other in one or another way. Subdomains are a great way to never spend money on domain names if all hosted articles/categories are interrelated.

Yes, up till a couple months ago I had a GoDaddy hosted website and had started a blog on my own hosted WP pages.

Sadly the "only $120/year" hit us at the exact wrong time, when we were struggling to keep the electricity on and the site died. Things are better now, but we're still playing catchup, so it might be a while before we can afford that again. I am a little ticked that it might be challenging to buy back Lionrhod.com for a couple years.

One thing that massively depressed me with the Wordpress self-hosted blog was that it was a feast for spammer comments and I couldn't find a good way to fix that. I spent about an hour or two per day killing comments that were just bogus links to unrelated junk to find maybe one or two real comments.

So still working out the best move based on what I can afford. And apologies if I'm hijacking the thread.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86

Ask any internet expert and they will tell you that for a blog to work, it HAS to be on a single subject or it won't work.  That's been the accepted wisdom for years now.  It can (and in fact should) be a fairly broad subject so you don't run out of material, though!

In fact, it's been known for so long that when HubPages decided to switch to sub-domains in late 2011, many of our high profile internet entrepreneurs (and there were several writing here at that time) were appalled at HP's decision to split the sub-domains by author instead of topic.

No one has ever been able to explain why the switch worked in spite of that, but it is certainly possible to do well here without specialising.   It's been suggested that HubPages' unique structure, where sub-domains are heavily interlinked by topic, means that Google is seeing a big enough body of work on every subject that it doesn't mind - but who knows?

I have a crafting and arts blog. I will rarely include a recipe, but right now most of it's content is on Halloween Crafts. I have a second one that is Christmas Crafts. This season I plan on moving the content from my Christmas Crafts blog onto my Halloween blog after Nov. 1st. This is because my traffic is really good on my Halloween Crafts and I want to keep it going. I will then use the Christmas Crafts Blog all year to develop it and then promote it in September. The Halloween Blog will then turn from Ever Green Crafts back to Halloween. By this time next year the Christmas Craft Blog will be large enough to stand on it's own and I won't have to transfer content any more. So far so good. My traffic is close to 1000 daily hit and my adsense pay is going up daily. I have two other blogs on Lapidary art that are totally stand alone. One contains a store and the other is mostly photos of raw gemstones. They do OK but not as well as the craft blog. I used to have it all mixed together along with gardening. It's was a mess! Google rarely sent traffic and I ended up giving up. Now It's so niche I get great traffic.

I would recommend putting all the Lapidary material on one blog.   It is clearly closely related.   You can keep the two sections separated by using a sub-domain if you feel that's necessary, or by using custom posts.  There is no benefit in having them separate. 

I don't think moving posts is a good idea, because every time you move a post, it loses any links it has collected and it also loses age.  Much better to put posts in the right place to start with.

Why not make your blog "Holiday Crafts", then you can have Christmas, Thanksgiving and Hallowe'en crafts all together?   A blog is different from Squidoo or HubPages:  here, you can only attract one-time visitors.  On a blog, you can collect followers and it's  a waste not to exploit that.   Readers will visit a Hallowe'en blog then forget about it till next year - but if it's a Holiday Crafts blog, they'll sign up to get your Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter ideas as you publish them. 

I notice you're using the Hueman theme on your Christmas blog - it's one of my favourites.

I understand what your saying for the Lapidary and yes it's related, but it's actually two different things. One is cut gemstones for Jewelers and the other is for people who collect raw specimens.  The one for the cut stones isn't owned by just me. The raw stones is. I go to a show once a year in January. People from around the world come and there are thousands of vendors. The show takes over an entire town in Arizona. It runs for a month. I take around 5000 photos that supplies the blogs for the year with original work. I can actually set it up in January and let it run itself for the year with a post a day. It's not something I fuss over weekly.

Do you think there is overlap between interest in stones cut for jewelers and those collecting stones in their natural state.  I might be interested in both if I had the interest and money lol.

I hit post too fast. Yes I use Hueman. I love that theme. It's easy and organized. I thought about doing it with just Holiday crafts but it worked out better like this. Because I start tossing posts onto Pinterest for the season in September the posts have to be published. By seperating it I can keep all the Halloween posts together and all the Christmas stuff together. I can also work on Christmas all year round. I just switched over from blogger to WP on September 1st so both blogs are a month old, but the posts have been on my blogger blog for about a year. I like WP way way better. I was just afraid of it before.

Wordpress navigation is much, much, much better than Blogger.   You can keep all the Halloween posts together and all the Christmas stuff together easily.   For the ultimate in separation, you could put each holiday on a separate sub-domain, but I do it with categories and custom menus. 

Having all the holidays on one domain will add authority to your blog - size matters! - and you need authority to be successful in the long term. 

If you go to my profile and click on my blog link, you'll get to my belly dance blog.  You can see I've got five separate sections:   one for general costumes (top bar), one for tribal costumes (bottom bar), one for general DVD's and one for Tribal DVD's (sidebar), plus hints and tips ("blog" in the sidebar).

All of the posts within all those sections are just posts.  But I don't have a page showing "latest posts' at all, so visitors don't know that - the menus lead them to the various categories.

It would be neater to do it with custom posts, but I struggled to get that going and I find my solution works OK.

28. LindaSmith1 profile image60
    LindaSmith1posted 9 years ago

Blogs on One Topic:  So, does this mean, a blog for gifts for her, another blog for gifts for him, etc???

No.  At one time, you could create microblogs, with just a few posts on a tiny subject and do well:   Google is punishing those now.   

The thing is, for a blog to work, you need to keep on adding new content.  It doesn't have to be daily or even weekly, as some people suggest, but it does need to be regular.   And for a blog to make money, you need to build its reputation and attract followers, so it's a long term project - you need to pick a subject where you won't run out of material in two years' time.

For instance, I have a blog about pointe shoes.   I wish now I'd made it about ballet wear in general.

Why can't you change it?

29. LindaSmith1 profile image60
    LindaSmith1posted 9 years ago

I should go and remove some of the things I have on my gift blog and create new ones, like I have product reviews on the same blog that is for gifts.

It all depends. If those products are potential gifts, then they may make sense.  I'm not sure "gifts" is a valid topic though - you're setting yourself up to compete directly with the big online gift shops, and I can't see how you would interest readers in following your blog.

30. profile image0
    swilliamsposted 9 years ago

Very well said Arachnea! smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)