jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

Customer Service

1. Arachnea profile image84
    Arachneaposted 2 years ago

So, I have worked off and on in customer service for years. Every now and again I get a really charming caller. One such caller was an elderly person who was cussing and screaming up a blue streak. The call had been transferred to me in error. Needless to say, the caller wasn't happy. At one point in the conversation that person said, "I'm 65 (or maybe 75) and ... yada, yada, yada ... ." Well there was the briefest of pauses and I was able to slip in. "That really surprises me as you don't sound a day over 31." The caller stopped his dialogue and the line was quiet for the longest time, then when he came back on the line he was just as sweet as honey. If any of you have worked in customer service, I'd love to hear your tales. I remember that call fondly for some reason.

2. 0
    Scott A McCrayposted 2 years ago

'Bout 12 years ago I was in one of my "many hats" jobs - silly me, I like working for smaller companies - when "that customer" called in with a litany of complaints. You know the one - the one that is never happy - no matter what?

She lit into me like a house on fire and I tried my best to calm her down to no avail. Now keep in mind, she was insinuating my Mama lived under the front porch (it's a country thing - think about it) and cussin' up a blue streak. I tried to interject and calm her some more, but no dice.

I finally just quit trying and went silent.

"Are you still there?" she said.

Yes, ma'am."

She lit into me and the company I worked for again.

Me: #crickets

"Are you still there?" she said.

Yes, ma'am."

Me: #crickets

"You're not gonna talk to me if I keep cussin' at you, are you?" she said.

"No, ma'am. They don't pay me to be cussed at, they pay me to solve problems..."

Following that, she wouldn't speak to another sales/service/support rep. She still hasn't forgiven me for leaving that job, but we remain friends.

3. Blond Logic profile image90
    Blond Logicposted 2 years ago

When I worked at a grocery store in the UK, I notice an older gentleman just standing in the middle of an aisle. I went and asked if I could help him find anything.

He grabbed hold of my arm, and I realized then he was blind. He explained to me that his companion had left him there while they just selected a few things.

When he heard my American accent, he went on to tell me how much he loved listening to audio books when they were read by Americans. He spoke with great animation and patted my arm as he spoke, much  as my grandmother use to do.

I am certain our paths were meant to cross that day as it lifted both our spirits.

1. 0
      Scott A McCrayposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Blond Logic - what a beautiful story! It lifted my spirits today!

4. Glenda Motsavage profile image84
    Glenda Motsavageposted 2 years ago

@Scott A McCray... I think I processed her drivers license at the DMV!

5. Suzanne Day profile image97
    Suzanne Dayposted 2 years ago

I once worked as a telemarketer for gym signups. It was hard going - I coped for about 3 weeks then left that job. During a call, I pitched gym membership to a nice sounding guy on the phone. Unfortunately, I didn't know how to pronounce the nearest capital city's suburb of Reservoir. I said it "Re-serve-warrr" and he said I sounded like a 70s throwback on drugs.

Finally figured out most people call it "Re-serve-vore".

Total embarrassment.