jump to last post 1-14 of 14 discussions (17 posts)

Trouble finding a topic

1. Justin Frye profile image87
    Justin Fryeposted 2 years ago

I try to search for what I want to write about before I commit.  I keep finding that everything I want to write about it already covered, and covered well.  Anybody else run in to this problem?  What do you do?

1. Millionaire Tips profile image89
      Millionaire Tipsposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Try to think about a different angle on that topic.  What do people want to know?  Basically, I go through my life, and think about what people would ask me how to do.

2. paradigmsearch profile image91
      paradigmsearchposted 2 years ago in reply to this

You are so right! Every time I think of something I want to write about, one look at what is already out there dissuades me of the notion. However, hope springs eternal. big_smile

2. Justin Frye profile image87

That is a good way to look at things.

3. relache profile image87
    relacheposted 2 years ago

If you have to look for a topic to write about, then doesn't that seem like you don't actually know what you are writing about? Many writers who do nothing but sit in front of their computers and try and think up something to write about often report being faced with this challenge.

At the same time, many writers on this site have really busy lives and tend to come up with the most interesting Hub topics, complete with original photos and personal anecdotes and advice.

If you don't know what to write about, get up and actually go do something.  Do something you enjoy.  It can be by yourself or with friends.  Take pictures and notes.  Then write a Hub about it.

4. LindaSmith1 profile image61
    LindaSmith1posted 2 years ago

Justin:  You have six hubs written already.

5. Justin Frye profile image87

Linda Smith I kind of wanted to do my own 30 hubs in 30 days competition.  I am not going to get there but still wanted to do as well as I could!

1. Millionaire Tips profile image89
      Millionaire Tipsposted 2 years ago in reply to this

One of the benefits of the 30 hubs in 30 days challenge is that it makes you think of those topics that you may have previously discarded.  I know that I rejected many topics as not hub worthy until I came up across the challenge deadline and had to be less particular.  The challenge is worth it just for that - to get you to expand your idea of hub worthy topics.  You only need one topic for the day - you don't have to think of all 30 up front, but if you think of more than one, be sure to write it down for another day when you can't think of one.  My problem is that when one comes - there are a million more to go with it, but when doesn't come, the well is dry.

If you do the challenge, make sure that you write quality hubs and not just rush them through to meet the deadline. Maybe write them in 30 days but don't require yourself to publish one until you deem it to be ready. Or at least take the following month to go through each of them carefully to make sure they are quality hubs. I deleted a lot of my challenge hubs, but a lot of them were good enough to stay and do get traffic.

6. LindaSmith1 profile image61
    LindaSmith1posted 2 years ago

Your profile says anything automotive.  Here is a list of topics as well as how many hubs exist.  http://hubpages.com/topics/tree

Crap, you are a paramedic.  You should have a ton of ideas from that write about. Hospitals in Philly created a new job called Patient Techs, which are glorified Nursing Assistants, but allowed to do more. They have to be EMT or Paramedic.  Write about other jobs that are available to EMT's and Paramedics.  How many runs have you done just from needless catastrophies in the home such as a child being left in a tub alone and drowing, etc.

7. Justin Frye profile image87

It is funny you say that,  I am actually working on a hub right now about paramedics in other countries!

8. Justin Frye profile image87

Well I am not part of an actual challenge just wanted to have the idea of the challenge to help push myself.

9. stuff4kids profile image94
    stuff4kidsposted 2 years ago

Many professional writers write about topics that are new to them at the start. You don't by any means always have to 'write about what you know' or from your personal experience. That's just recycled nonsense. There's this amazing thing called...research.

My advice to you, however, is NOT to start your research on the internet. Head to the library or a museum or a bookshop or cinema, theatre, zoo, bowling alley, wherever. The problem with the internet in this regard is that it can only take you where you already think you want to go. Browsing the library or other place offline can have something new and interesting jump out at you that you hadn't expected.

Then grab that topic, read several different sources (never just one); think about it; make notes, scribble pictures. Do research. Follow the discoveries that most interest you. By the time you've done your research, you'll be writing enthusiastically about what you didn't know before, but now you do.

If you limit yourself to 'writing about what you know' or about what you can search online, you'll soon run out of ideas.

I really hope that helps.   smile

10. Justin Frye profile image87

That helps a ton and to be honest I got in to this because I absolutely love researching different topics that I do not already know.  I love to share those findings with people, and felt this was the best way to do that!

11. Kylyssa profile image96
    Kylyssaposted 2 years ago

Your profile says you're a paramedic and an auto enthusiast.  You are an expert on at least two things.  Why not write a series of hubs related to each of those areas of expertise? 

Paramedic related ideas:
    What led you to become a paramedic?
    What was the training like from a nuts and bolts perspective?
    What was the training like from a personal perspective?
    How did you find the money and the time to get the training?
    What should every young person wishing to become a paramedic know about the job?
    How can people who call paramedics make the paramedics' jobs easier?
    What is a typical day working as a paramedic like?

Auto related ideas:
    What got you interested in automobiles?
    How did you learn to work on autos?
    What types of automobile activities can enthusiasts participate in?
    Who is your automotive hero?
    What do you love about automobiles?

That's just off the top of my head.  You could also post questions asking people what they'd like to know about paramedics and get ideas from there.  Write about what you're passionate about and it's almost impossible to run out of ideas.

12. chateaudumer profile image84
    chateaudumerposted 2 years ago

Excellent suggestion, stuff4kids

13. DzyMsLizzy profile image91
    DzyMsLizzyposted 2 years ago

I just write what I want to write.  I don't check to see if it's been covered before, or how often.  I don't care.

Perhaps my way of covering the topic will appeal to those who did not understand the other articles.  Or perhaps it will be shared and someone will see mine before they come across other sources.

I know this is not the way to approach making money here, but that was not my focus in the beginning, and I guess I'm still more interested in sharing ideas than in trying to amass a fortune...even a small one. wink

14. MizBejabbers profile image91
    MizBejabbersposted 2 years ago

When I first joined HP, I had trouble finding a topic, too, and I think it was because I was intimidated by their requirements. Heck, since I work full time as an editor, it probably was a year before I had as m any hubs as you. Now I ignore their suggestions and more topics pop into my mind than I have time to write about. On top of that, I have at least five articles started that require further research, and I haven't had time to finish them. Meantime, I am a hit-and-miss writer, but it is mostly going to be miss if HP keeps retiring my hubs. I'm beginning to get the attitude of "why bother." I certainly wouldn't waste my time on 30 hubs in 30 days, but I admire you for taking the challenge.