jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (9 posts)

Profile and "Over-Promotionality"

1. Billie Kelpin profile image90
    Billie Kelpinposted 2 years ago

...so I've never been clear on this "overly promotional" thing. This is what I, as a 69 year-old "rebel-with -cause," I-don't-give-a-care-anymore", woman understands the rule to be:

For hubs, I think I'm clear: I must be sure I never ever to mention my company (website) in a hub unless it's among a slew of other companies and no one can guess in 5000 years what my company might be. Or better yet, never ever mention my website whatsoever.

However, I'm not sure if the overly-promotional rule applies to the profile.  I want to mention my company and specifically list what we do and put the website address in that profile. How far can I go in the profile? 

I realize this might have been answered, but I don't have time to search (I'm busy migrating my website and need a quick answer. 

Cheers,

Billie

1. Marina Lazarevic profile image85
      Marina Lazarevicposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Hi Billie! You can link to your company website in a Hub if the link is directly related to the Hub's content.
      Feel free to mention your website in your Profile. In fact, I suggest you add a link to it in the website field on the Edit Profile page. Hope this helps.

Billie Kelpinposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Marina,

Thanks!  This DOES help smile I'm going to do that and then watch my website traffic triple (tee hee)
        Cheers,

Billie

2. Marisa Wright profile image94
      Marisa Wrightposted 2 years ago in reply to this

You're wrong about the rule for Hubs.  The overly promotional rule is this:

1.  No more than TWO links to the same domain in a Hub
      2.  No unrelated links of any kind.   So if you have a page on your website which is related to your Hub, you can link to that, no problem.

That's it.

As for your profile - go for it.  You can't put live hyperlinks in your profile at all, anyway.  You can put your website in the website link.

Thanks Marisa.  I don't know why I am so worried about that. My tiny company developed a software program for teachers that I know would really be helpful and Iwould like to write a hub directly related to that one program that my husband and I developed.  I'm thinking that wouldn't be appropriate and would be overly promotional to write a hub solely on that product, even if I limit the hub only once back to our website. What do you think? In the hub I could mention other educational games that I've created with software from the University of Victoria which is free.  I don't know.  I've been holding back on this for years. I could use blogspot or bubblews, but don't get as many views for my bizblog and I don't think bubblews would have the right audience.  Let me know if you have any thoughts on this.

Thanks, Billie

1. Marisa Wright profile image94
          Marisa Wrightposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I think you worry too much!   If you do break the rule in a Hub, the worst that can happen is that the Hub will be unpublished - the sky won't fall in. 

Your idea sounds fine.

2. I Ramjohn profile image82
    I Ramjohnposted 2 years ago

Billie, the link you made to your website - it currently consists of three URLs stuck together - probably a cut-and-paste problem when you entered the info.

As for an overly promotional bio, I'm not sure what the correct format is, but it would probably help if you spent a big more ink (er, electrons?) saying who you are before saying what you've done. Draw people in before you list all the many things you've done. And talk about your current endeavours before you talk about your past. People don't read all the way to the end, so get that plug in for languagerocks before you lose the ones with a short attention span.

I Ramjohn, Thank you so much - VERY Helpful. The new website is going to be ALMOST ready this weekend, so then I have to redo the profile.  We are migrating a twenty-year old website to the new one, so I kind of just threw the profile up.  I do understand what you mean and think you're exactly right!  Again, thank you so much!

3. Phyllis Doyle profile image94
    Phyllis Doyleposted 2 years ago

When you are in edit mode for you profile, it states under the profile to "not put links in the profile but you can put links in the section below titled "links".

working