jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (9 posts)

"48 Major Google Penalties You Can't Ignore"

1. Country-Sunshine profile image88
    Country-Sunshineposted 2 years ago

Interesting article!  I wish that HubPages had read this before acquiring Squidoo.  (And I am a former Squid).  Getting penalties from 301 redirects and shutting down "content farms" could possibly be having an effect on this site.  I know my visits and ranking have dropped to almost nothing over the past week!

1. erorantes profile image33
      erorantesposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Thank you for starting this conversation. It is good to know about what google does not allow.  I do not know anything about penalties. Have a wonderful day .

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image90
      DzyMsLizzyposted 2 years ago in reply to this

What article are we talking about??  There is no link, as links get snipped, but there is not even a <snipped> notification, as per usual in the case of links that have been posted.

You can, however, put a "link" by putting in extra spaces where they would not appear in the actual URL, and that way, it won't be active as a link, but by just copying/pasting and deleting the spaces, we have the real link back....

1. Jayne Lancer profile image91
        Jayne Lancerposted 2 years ago in reply to this

The OP has deleted the post with the link.

2. Sue Adams profile image93
        Sue Adamsposted 2 years ago in reply to this

This was the link posted by OP: (remove spaces after // and www.)
        https:// www. fulltraffic.net/blog/85209/48-major-google-penalties-you-cant-ignore-and-how-to-fix-them/

2. relache profile image86
    relacheposted 2 years ago

Beth, Google "declared war" on sites they termed "content farms" two years ago.

HubPages traffic and revenues have been down ever since, no matter how many little changes have been made.

3. Sue Adams profile image93
    Sue Adamsposted 2 years ago

Click on the home page of that website. It is a full width video ad promoting the site, one of the things the guy says will be penalized. Scroll down the home page, they claim to have over 20 million visitors per day. But they don't show up in Quantcast and rank with a question mark under my Chrome Page-Rank extension.
    If he knows it all, how come his own website is not ranking?

4. Marisa Wright profile image92
    Marisa Wrightposted 2 years ago

Google declared war on content farms with the very first Panda, and when questioned, made it clear that they included sites like HubPages and Squidoo in that definition.   So that's been a problem for a very long time and will continue to be so.

The "penalty" for 301 redirects isn't really a penalty.  It's just that every time a page is redirected, some of the value of the page "leaks". That's why it's never a good idea to redirect a redirect.   

That may well be a major problem for some Squids.   HubPages is doing only ONE 301 redirect - but I believe that some Lenses already had redirects on them, sometimes more than one.

1. relache profile image86
      relacheposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Multiple redirects is exactly the problem