jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (10 posts)

Callout Capsule - Float Right

1. davidlivermore profile image93
    davidlivermoreposted 2 years ago

I loved the idea of the callout capsule, as I frequently use quotes and other tidbits of information in my hubs.  The problem is that the capsule doesn't float right and is designed that way.

If you allow for different font sizes, having this capsule float right can be a good idea.

1. Lionrhod profile image94
      Lionrhodposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I agree with different font sizes! In fact I just posted a request for that on the thread where it was announced.

As for float right, I agree completely. I want the ability to float-right on ANY capsule. But HP seems to want us to keep full width capsules because of mobile issues.

2. Matthew Meyer profile image77
      Matthew Meyerposted 2 years ago in reply to this

The lack of half-width options for this capsule was a design choice we made partially as a move to
      optimize content for the majority of readers, we have moved to a mobile friendly design for Hubs.

Full-width capsules work better for mobile devices.

1. davidlivermore profile image93
        davidlivermoreposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Ah those dirty mobile devices.  Got it, thanks.

1. Lionrhod profile image94

Maybe I'm just old but I have a deep desire to see mobile devices wiped from the face of the planet.

Dangerous while driving, creating annoying changes to accepted web practices or what just plain looks good on a computer.

Guess this is the wave of the present/future and I won't get to have my wish. Argh.

2. Jayne Lancer profile image90
        Jayne Lancerposted 2 years ago in reply to this

That's what I thought. So I guess we'll be saying goodbye to half-width capsules altogether before too long.

1. Jean Bakula profile image95
          Jean Bakulaposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I also am so sick of people glued to their smartphones. Especially when they are sitting in real, live groups of people. I wonder if people will remember how to have conversations. I was out for dinner in a restaurant last night, and even families there out to eat were all individually on their smartphones. What's the point of going anywhere together?

When I read my email on my smartphone, even if I get a notification that someone has commented on a hub of mine, it doesn't show up on my phone. I don't know why. I just check on the main computer later. And all the hubs look really long on a smartphone, older people or those who only wear glasses for small print have to hunt for them each time they want to read their hubs. But yes, we have to get used to it. Sigh.

1. Jayne Lancer profile image90
            Jayne Lancerposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I'm not sure I've ever used my smart phone to read an article or whatever. I only look at the weather and headlines and that sort of thing. But according to GA, most of my views are coming from mobile, and most of HubPages' do, too. So yes, we'll have to get used to it.

2. Lionrhod profile image94

OMG yes! I work at a restaurant as an entertainer and if I could number the amount of times I see an entire table of people sitting around their smartphones...

It truly boggles the brain! What happened to conversation? What happened to relationships and friendships? Why are you actually bothering to sit at a table together if you're just going to share texts and photos?

Forgive me for being old fashioned but it took a while before my parents even decided that having TV access during dinner was a good thing. And that was only allowed when something special was on, such as Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom , Disney or Sixty Minutes.(back in the days when there was no way to re-watch a broadcast after it aired).

Of course I'm also from the days when Pick-Up-Stix, Scrabble or wow, something as unconventional as bedtime stories counted as good fun family interaction.

I consider smartphones as potentially dangerous. (Folks using them while driving.) expensive (It costs extra to have a plan that allows text) and just plain annoying.

But I guess we're stuck in the modern era when half or more of the world seems to use this nonsense. I guess .

2. Marisa Wright profile image93
          Marisa Wrightposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Yes, that's what I assumed too.   I will be very, very sad if they do dispense with the half-width capsules.  Other sites aren't doing so - it seems too simplistic a solution to me.  I'm still hoping HubPages will come up with a better responsive layout, but that would take programming effort and I guess they have too much on their plate right now.

working