What is a hub called that introduces a series of hubs?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (20 posts)
  1. marlies vaz nunes profile image81
    marlies vaz nunesposted 9 years ago

What is a hub called that introduces a series of hubs and that links to the individual articles of the series? (In squidoo we called that a lensography).

2. SusannaDuffy profile image79
    SusannaDuffyposted 9 years ago

I thought I'd heard the last of that silly word!

3. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 9 years ago

There used to be reference to capstone hubs which introduced a series of 15 hubs, but the program no longer runs.  I'm not sure if they're still referred to as a 'capstone' or if there is a specific name given to them.

4. Arachnea profile image67
    Arachneaposted 9 years ago

How about vanguard hub or key-note? Would those work?

5. ILoveLegosToo profile image83
    ILoveLegosTooposted 9 years ago

I was thinking along the lines of an ahwot (a hub with out traffic) hub.  I'm not sure if these are as useful here as they were on Squidoo, I've been slowly removing mine.

6. Marisa Wright profile image84
    Marisa Wrightposted 9 years ago

It's called a Capstone Hub. 

Originally it was a paid program - you got a one-off payment for writing a series with a Capstone.  That program no longer exists but most of us still use the terminology for convenience.

However, 90% of your readers are not members of HubPages so they don't know what a Capstone is, so there's no sense in using that terminology in your Hub title!    Use a title that will  make sense to your external readers.

7. Richard-Bivins profile image80
    Richard-Bivinsposted 9 years ago

I can tell you from experience that each of the hubs in your series needs to stand on its own merit (be on a topic that is highly searched.)  Do not title them part 1, part 2, etc...  Your introduction hub should be able to stand on its own as well.  Plus, if you want them to succeed then they all need to modeled after the stellar hub template.

On my LiveWithRichard account I had a 7 part series on how to write bylaws for a nonprofit organization.  The first hub had a table of contents and a brief explanation of what makes up a set of bylaws.  (By brief, I mean it was just over 1000 words.)  Each paragraph introduced a different part of the bylaws which linked to the next hub in the series both in the paragraph and the table of contents.  Each hub in the series also had the table of contents links and each were over 1000 words.  In total, that series received nearly 250 thousand views in 2 years but because they didn't have polls, quizzes, videos, or other "engaging" elements 2 of the hubs were eventually unfeatured by HP and it affected the entire series.  It was a shock for a while but I took them down and reformatted the entire series as a Kindle eBook which has earned me a steady $50+ per month for the last year.

My point, if you really have that much to say about a certain topic and that topic is searched for, then make it into a Kindle eBook instead of a series of hubs where you may earn a few pennies a month.

If you do a series of hubs and interlink them all and one or two do real poorly then it can bring down your entire account.

Just food for thought.

marlies vaz nunesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Food for thought, indeed. Thank you for the elaborate answer!

8. SusannaDuffy profile image79
    SusannaDuffyposted 9 years ago

What was referred to as a "lensography" on squidoo was nothing like capstone.

A "lensography" was just a lens (page) with a lot of links to other lenses (pages), not connected apart from having the same author, and a few words about each link.

People used it as a sort of biography about themselves along the lines of 'This is me and I do this,  ..' etc

1. joanhall profile image87
      joanhallposted 9 years agoin reply to this

But sometimes people would make lensographies that only linked to a selected set of their writings and were focused on one particular topic (my edible weeds lensography only linked to the lenses about the individual weeds, and I had another lensography for my fiction writings and another one for homeschooling stuff).

I don't know anything about "capstone", but would there be a similarity between that and a topical lensography?

That's what I do as well, Joanhall. But OK, I understand that there's no special word for it. No problem.

Thank you all for the answers! Much appreciated.

1. Marisa Wright profile image84
          Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

There is, it's a Capstone Hub.

2. Marisa Wright profile image84
        Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes.  The Capstone is a bit different, in that you can't copy any of the Hub text into the Capstone Hub, you need to write a unique description for each.

3. SusannaDuffy profile image79
        SusannaDuffyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That's a Collection (or Category) Still a list of other pages though.

9. best-gifts-ever profile image52
    best-gifts-everposted 9 years ago

The 'lensography' type of hub will only work on hubpages if you make it a hub that can stand on it's own two feet. That is: it has it's own targeted title (you know, keyword research and all that), it's own topic and more text than just the text copied from the hubs it links to.

On the whole I've been unpublishing lensographies. I recommend interlinking your hubs (by topic) instead.

The lensography that you describe is exactly the kind I thought of!

10. LotusLandry profile image60
    LotusLandryposted 9 years ago

A Hubography -  like a Lensography!

1. Arachnea profile image67
      Arachneaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I like this, LotusLandry.

11. makingamark profile image70
    makingamarkposted 9 years ago

I tend to make sites in clusters and I've got hubs that provide one bookmark for people who follow me on specific topics (usually if I've got 10 or more sites on one topic area) - but more importantly provide me with one bookmark for a topic area!

I hated the word lensography and always avoided it if I could.

One of the words I use for this sort of site is "Compendium" - because that's what they are - a topical "enquire within".

1. VladimirCat profile image72
      VladimirCatposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I remember when this word was made up by one person as a joke. I must confess, however, that I used the word 'Catography' myself

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)