jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

This Does Not Make Hubpages Look Good

1. vineliner57 profile image86
    vineliner57posted 2 years ago

I was looking to add some info on a Hub of mine last night and saw something a bit discouraging when I ran across my own Hub on page 2 in Google. Decided to do more investigating this morning, and found that 5 of the 6 keywords I searched for with hubs of mine on the first page or 2 of Google show this:

The screen shot is a bit hard to see, but what is says when you hover over the little icon is "this site has a bad reputation".

The other one I looked at (out of the 6 that I searched for) was #1 for my keyword, and had no such designation. It had a check mark with "this site is safe". I am not sure how that one escaped. (I quit looking after 6 such searches, so I don't know if the one without the ding was an anomaly or not). Regardless, this can't be good for Hubpages or Hubbers.

Is anyone else seeing this? Is this something new? Is this fixable?

1. 0
      sheilamyersposted 2 years ago in reply to this

A few other people have asked about this. I'm not sure of the exact cause, but whether or not someone gets the warning depends on the virus scanner they have on their computer. I use McAfee and when I find hubs listed in the search results at search engines, I always get a green check mark telling me the page is safe. Maybe someone with more computer savvy can explain why the warning appears for some people and not others.

vineliner57posted 2 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for the reply. I'm running Avast (because it's free and does a good job), so what you are saying may be true. It's just that I never noticed it before, but then I don't look at rankings near as much as I used to. As near as I can remember the articles are ranking pretty much the same as several months ago, so maybe I won't worry about it too much.

1. Writer Fox profile image81
          Writer Foxposted 2 years ago in reply to this

This has been happening for a while, and it's really bad for the HP site:

It would be good if someone on the HP staff would try to reverse the Advast opinion.

2. excribo profile image86
    excriboposted 2 years ago

Hi Vineliner57, I think what you're seeing are the ratings of Avast Web Reputation plug-in. It's also installed in my browser and I'm seeing the yellow icon stating that Hubpages has a bad rep. This plug-in is similar to WOT (web of trust). They are both user-driven. I think a lot of Avast users have rated HP negatively. I'm really not worried about it.

vineliner57posted 2 years ago in reply to this

Thanks. That's pretty much what I've come to learn from reading the previous replies  to this thread. Funny thing is, I never saw any bad marks when these were Squidoo lenses. Go figure...

3. Dale Hyde profile image87
    Dale Hydeposted 2 years ago

I have never had this experience so far.  However this topic got me to do a Google search on "hubpages bad reputation"....  Some interesting stuff out there but from what I was seeing, however, most of it was several years old.