jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (25 posts)

New Account Name Contest

1. paradigmsearch profile image87
    paradigmsearchposted 2 years ago

Do you have an idea for a new subdomain name that Google would immediately become ecstatic over? Needless to say, don't mention one that you, yourself, would want to use.

Serious, humor, and word association are encouraged here. Never know just what might lead to a true insight for someone

Both broad and narrow are also welcome.

And guess what? There is actually a $12 cash prize. You can post your thoughts here or via the email link on my profile page. Money to be paid via PayPal. I made it $12 so that the recipient would receive a full $10.

One important side note. Paradigmsearch is what is known as a referred account. This means my account is only worth 30% revenue to HubPages. I no longer find this to be a tenable circumstance.. If my account is upgraded by HP from being only worth 30% revenue to HP to being worth the full 40% revenue to HP, then I no longer need a new account name and this contest is immediately cancelled and no prize will be awarded. Tough town the internet. big_smile

However, there is no reason fun still can't be had on this thread. And who knows? You just may end up seriously helping someone else instead. smile

1. Writer Fox profile image76
      Writer Foxposted 2 years ago in reply to this

1. You want to move all of your content to a new subdomain?

2.  I thought the referral system meant that, with any subdomain you operate under, you are still whatshername's referral. You might want to check that out before you go to so much trouble and pay bucks, no less.

paradigmsearchposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Thank you, Writer Fox. If that is true, then I guess I really am doomed.

Only remaining options:

A. Gradually migrate all my hubs to outside of HubPages.

Or

B. http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6486459_f520.jpg
        Start poking HP with a stick until they fully realize just how much money they truly are leaving on the table. It doesn't even have to be a radical alteration of the program. Simply making that 10% good only for the first 5 years would solve the problem for me.

2. DrMark1961 profile image91
    DrMark1961posted 2 years ago

PDS, since you have been here so many years, aren´t you going to lose all of the "aging" benefits if you move your articles to a new subdomain?
    Why not set up that new subdomain and then start posting new articles there. You can leave the PDS as it is, let HP have the 30% of those old articles, and publish anything new at your younger and brighter domain.
    Just a thought. I hate to see you bumped back to newbie status.

Oh yeah, as for your question: I do not think Google cares a rat´s *** about your subdomain name. Just choose something that makes you happy.

Quite bluntly, an account that is worth less than the full 40% value to HP just plain isn't the best kind of account to have....

And for that matter, I'm guessing there are other posters on this thread that are also referred accounts and worth less than full value to HP. And those accounts have no way of even knowing it.

But, that's the way the referral system works.  HP knew that when it set it up that way.  I understand where you are coming from and maybe HP would make some kind of exception in your case; but, don't count on that.  You may have to just stop thinking about it and don't let it get to you.  One stupid forum post isn't worth so much of your thought-life.  All anyone else remembers from that post is that no apology was made to you and one should have been.

The thing is, the amount of dollars that person makes from my work every year is one heck of a lot of money to me. I want that money to go to someone who appreciates it. Plus, I really, really want my account to be worth full 40% value to HP.

All the referrer has to do is honor my humble request. Or HP can put a 5-year cap on those kind of earnings. That's really all I care about.

Otherwise, sooner or later, HP really is going to see the light as to what they are giving away on a site-wide basis.
          http://www.justice.gov/dea/resources/img/money_2.jpg
          And this is money they don't have to give away. The simple 2-hour hub referral will accomplish their goal 9 times out of 10. The additional lifetime earnings giveaway just plain is not necessary.

I hear you.  But, that doesn't come out your payout and HP was happy to give up some of its potential earnings to get someone like you to write on this site.  People are paid commissions for recruiting athletes and employees, too, whether or not the athlete or the employee likes it or not. Why not try to get some referrals of your own?  That might take the edge off a little.

1. snakeslane profile image81
              snakeslaneposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I feel really stupid asking this question, especially on this thread, but how does that referral system work? How does one get a referral to begin with? How did that other person get the (edit) 10 percent PDS?

thanks!

2. paradigmsearch profile image87

Thank you, brake12. big_smile

Under current rules, HP loses an immediate and lifetime 10%.

As for the person whose account was referred, their losses are indirect, but possibly even more substantial. See my reply to WF. smile

Aren't those commissions usually a one-time thing or just for a year?

And as to those who are a lifetime commission, consider this scenario...

You are the owner. You have two employees or two athletes of equal value, but there is one difference. You earn 40% from one of them, but only 30% from the other. Times get hard. You have to make a business decision...

I'd rather be that 40% employee when that business decision starts rolling down the hill... big_smile

3. paradigmsearch profile image87

I think I'll go check my email. I hope there aren't any threats there... big_smile

4. brakel2 profile image87
    brakel2posted 2 years ago via iphone

PDS On a referral do you lose money or HP?  Do whatever you think is right after listening to advice. You are the King.  We love you.

1. Barbara Kay profile image86
      Barbara Kayposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Hubpages loses the 10%, not you.

5. Lionrhod profile image93
    Lionrhodposted 2 years ago

Silly question, maybe. If we add a referral tracker to a URL and then create a tinyURL does that referral tracker still count?

I'll add the same question regarding Twitter URL's. smile

6. lisavollrath profile image90
    lisavollrathposted 2 years ago

Sorry, but I think you should just get over this. I realize the thought that 10% of HubPages' share goes somewhere you wish it didn't isn't a happy thing for you. We're all aware of that, because you've posted about it over and over again.

It's not your call where that 40% goes. It's HQ's call, because it's their cut of the revenue. What they spend it on isn't really up to you.

Move your content, or don't. Either way, you've flogged this horse long enough.

Sorry, but I never go away concerning money issues... big_smile
      http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/125820

Besides, HP's author referral idea was created 8 years ago. HP is much, much, much older and wiser now. They really do need to revisit that idea. They are giving away a fortune that they don't have to; my previous posts here really do a good job of explaining that and some good alternatives. I just hope the heck HP has read them.

7. calculus-geometry profile image86
    calculus-geometryposted 2 years ago

paradigmfound
    paradigmlost
    paradisesearch

Or maybe you can convince HP to clean out all the old ghost user accounts who are hogging all the good one-word subdomains, like http://stuff.hubpages.com/ and http://zodiac.hubpages.com/ I know there are a ton of users who would love to be http://recipes.hubpages.com/ or http://vegan.hubpages.com/ and could fill out those accounts with some great hubs.  Sorry to go off topic.

You are right. Here's another one, http://diy.hubpages.com/

1. Barbara Kay profile image86
        Barbara Kayposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Wow! It is six years old. They should get rid of those accounts and let others use the names.

8. paradigmsearch profile image87

I have decided to cancel my awesome $10 prize offer. Nobody was interested anyway. lol

Besides, it may take a few months, but given current circumstances, HP is going to need that author referral money. So I'm pretty sure my own account will be out from under that thumb in due course anyway. At which point I will then post all my newly created awesome hubs. big_smile

I'm thinking of going on a domain name buying spree. Even I can afford $10 a year for a few of those. All will be niche.

Wow! Interesting. Domain name. Who knew?
      How about 'snakeslane'? Going cheap!  hmm

Excepting for HubPages, there isn't another writing site on the planet worth a d@mn. Messing around with my own websites will keep me occupied until I can start posting hubs again. lol

working