jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (9 posts)

KNOWN ISSUE: Intermittent Map capsule problems (zoom, keep location)

1. makingamark profile image77
    makingamarkposted 2 years ago

I don't know if anybody else gets this problem - but for me it's becoming very frustrating.

I'm finding adding a map into a hub is problematic. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Every time it doesn't the map stays stuck on San Francisco no matter what address you put in, no matter if you click the pin.

There's no scope to move the map to the right location as there are no controls on my screen to do that.

Any suggestions as to what the problem is - or is this just a recurrent glitch?

2. Shorebirdie profile image88
    Shorebirdieposted 2 years ago

I'm having the same issue and have reported this before, only to have my discussion deleted.  It worked OK for a while, but I'm now having problems again.

My problem today is similar to the last time I had a problem.  I can get to my region, but there are no controls to zoom in and out and I can't place a pin in the right place.

3. Pollyanna Jones profile image97
    Pollyanna Jonesposted 2 years ago

The maps used to work fine, but at the start of September they just started doing what you have described. There was a thread going in the Technical forum, but it never got resolved. It's very frustrating, and I've just stopped using the Map capsule as I can get a better map by taking screenshots from Google Maps.

1. calculus-geometry profile image88
      calculus-geometryposted 2 years ago in reply to this

+1 that's clever

4. Greekgeek profile image98
    Greekgeekposted 2 years ago

It's not ideal, but I find that if I save the map capsule with the desired settings, then reload the page (i.e. the editor) from the browser bar up top, the map capsule updates to reflect the changes.

5. Teeuwynn Woodruff profile image89
    Teeuwynn Woodruffposted 2 years ago

I had the same problem just yesterday and gave up on maps for that hub. I'll try the saving and reloading suggestion -- but that is an awkward workaround.

6. calculus-geometry profile image88
    calculus-geometryposted 2 years ago

I will add my name to the list of people with map capsule issues/questions.  I did manage to add a map of a region in India (not with the pin marker) and I can scroll around the area by clicking and dragging the cursor, but I can't zoom in and out on the map, nor change the style from roadmap to satellite view. There are no control icons when I hover over the map.

Is this by design to improve page load times? I assumed the point of offering a Google Maps capsule was to give users all of the interactive features of Google Maps without having to leave our hubs.

7. makingamark profile image77
    makingamarkposted 2 years ago

Does anybody know whether it's possible to add in a Google Map using code?

1. calculus-geometry profile image88
      calculus-geometryposted 2 years ago in reply to this

No, unfortunately you can't hand-code anything in your hubs.  The text capsule strips out all but the most basic html, and the code capsule is purely for displaying programming code for teaching purposes rather than creating something to be executed on the page.  I suppose we will have to wait for a staff response about the maps and as to whether the limited functionality is intentional.  I did try Greekgeek's suggestion, but it didn't change anything for me as far as getting navigation icons to display on the map.