jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (10 posts)

About Submitting a Site Map to Google

1. Craan profile image80
    Craanposted 2 years ago

Submitting a Site Map to Google for your Hubs is a great idea. Google receives important details regarding all your hubs on HubPages. This increases your ranking, indexing, and drives extra traffic to your hubs. Has anyone figured out how to successfully do this for HubPages? It's confusing and I am not sure where to place the Site Map Code on my Profile Page for Google to find it for verification.

1. Writer Fox profile image81
      Writer Foxposted 2 years ago in reply to this

You actually don't have to add a sitemap for Google to find your subdomain and all your Hubs.

But, if you just want to do that, here are the instructions:
      http://noveltreasure.hubpages.com/hub/H … o-Hubpages

1. Craan profile image80
        Craanposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Thank you, Writer Fox! I was able to create a Site Map, however I received a 404 error, and only 87 pages are indexed with 154 submitted.

Something is amiss with indexing your Hubs:
          http://goo.gl/VHNROg

Google only has 83 pages in its Index for your subdomain.  I recommend that you go in to your Webmaster Tools Account, select 'Health' from the left menu, and then select 'Fetch as Google.'

One at a time, fetch the URL of each Hub.  When it is found, click on the option to 'Add to Index.' 

Then, check in two days by doing a Google search as in the link above. 

Every time you publish a new Hub, as soon as it is Featured (not pending), submit the URL in this way.

1. Craan profile image80
            Craanposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Thank you so much! I would have never realized how to do this without your help!

You're welcome.  If this hasn't worked in two days, come back here and post again.

Since you have been on HP for four years, I think what happened is that when the site switched to subdomains, many of the URLs weren't automatically switched in Google's Index.  This happened to others, as well.  Google probably has your Hubs in the Index, just not under the present URL on your subdomain.  You might test a few Hubs by searching on Google for the old URLs and see if that is what has happened.

2. ILoveLegosToo profile image61
        ILoveLegosTooposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I was checking the Bing and Google webmaster tools today and both are saying my site index is no longer located at the url in the hub as I'm getting 404 erros.  Prior to today it was working fine.   Bing says it last tried to crawl it on 10/3 and Google last tried today.  When checking my robots.txt, it says my site index is no longer under my subdomain. 

Are you seeing the same thing?  If so, looks like HP recently changed where they place our site indexes.

2. lumberjack profile image84
      lumberjackposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Honestly, I don't think a sitemap is gonna help you guys much.

Everything on HubPages is well linked together and Google's crawler is going to find everything naturally.

3. Matthew Meyer profile image77
      Matthew Meyerposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I just wanted to let you know that there is a current issue that seems to be affecting Google WMT's ability to parse the sitemap.
      This is a known issue and here the forum related to it.
      http://hubpages.com/forum/post/2660002

1. ILoveLegosToo profile image61
        ILoveLegosTooposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for the update.  Will the sitemaps be moved back to the domain, it appears google and bing won't accept them unless they are under their actual domain.

working