Avast + Chrome = Trouble When Searching For Hubs

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (18 posts)
  1. Swisstoons profile image74
    Swisstoonsposted 9 years ago

Avast Security software and Google Chrome are conducting some sort of war...and it is adversely affecting searchers ability to reach our hubs.  Anyone using the Chrome browser (not just us hubbers) who has the Avast software on his machine will (when searching for a hub) have the link to that hub displayed next to a yellow minus sign on the SERP.  When the yellow minus sign is hovered over, the user sees the message, "This site has a bad reputation." (If you have Avast and use Chrome, go ahead and search the title of one of your hubs to see what I mean).

It's hard to tell whether it's a case of Avast wanting to peddle another browser or search engine...or a case of Avast actually trying to protect people from Chrome's snooping and glitches.   (I know I've had numerous problems with Chrome...a malfunctioning scrollbar on Facebook, for instance.)

The problem only occurs if a web user is google-searching on Chrome and has Avast, not when searching with IE or Firefox.

I saw an older post about this in the Forum, but the post was quickly off subject and dominated by some unrelated discussion.  The question of what to do about this was never addressed.   I don't know how many Avast subscribers (across the internet) are also using Chrome...but this can't be helping our numbers.

Anyone know anything about this or have a plan to remedy this situation?

1. Nancy Hardin profile image59
      Nancy Hardinposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thomas, I wish I could help, but I use Firefox, so have not experienced this. Hopefully some others will chime in soon. Best of luck and hope this is straightened away soonest.

Swisstoonsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi, Nancy.  The heckuvit is, all of us are being affected by this regardless of which browsers WE are using.  What matters is which browser and anti-spy software combo any google searcher is using.  Anyone out there who browses with Chrome and who has Avast on his machine will be told that any (and every) HubPages article has a "bad reputation"...even if it's in the Number One position on the SERP.  Lets hope such users are very few in number.
        http://s1.hubimg.com/u/11898758.jpg

1. Nancy Hardin profile image59
          Nancy Hardinposted 9 years agoin reply to this

But WHY? What do they have against writers who simply write? We don't do any underhanded things, so what are we being penalized for? For the few rotten apples in the barrel I suppose. Oh I'm not liking that!

It's a puzzlement.  I think the "war" is mainly between Avast and Google (Chrome).  Hub Pages between Avast and Chrome is a little like Poland between Germany and Russia.

1. Whatsittoyou profile image90
              Whatsittoyouposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I am using Firefox and Avast.  When I search for hubpages, I get the yellow symbols that says this site has a bad reputation.  I would post a picture to prove it, but I don't know how.

I believe you.  Guess that shoots my theory, then.   I wonder why I don't see any symbols at all when using Firefox.   Whatever is going on, it's not helpful.   Guess it's time to write to Avast Support and see if they have an answer.

2. Swisstoons profile image74

I've just sent the following message to Avast Support and will post any response here.

"Why is any search for Hub Pages returning SERPs full of yellow minus symbols and the message, "This site has a bad reputation"?   This happens each time I use the Chrome browser. 

I didn't think this was a problem using Firefox or IE, since I see NO symbols at all (green or yellow) on the SERPs when using those browsers. But others are reporting the yellow symbol when using Firefox as well as Chrome.

What gives?"

Yesss!  A little victory.  Avast has now agreed to "un-blacklist" Hub Pages.  Our hubs will now get the green check mark instead of the yellow minus sign.  I finally heard back from Avast support.  Here is the email received this morning:

Hello again Thomas,

Sorry for the late response.

The reputation of the website HubPages.com has been changed to positive now. I hope this resolve the issue you are having.
            https://www.google.com/search?q=hub+pag … #q=hubpage

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us again.

Best regards,
            Rojan Piya
            Technical support | AVAST Software s.r.o.

2. GA Anderson profile image88
      GA Andersonposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Firefox and Avast also show the warning message

GA

I'm only getting it with Avast/Chrome...not Avast/Firefox.   There are no green checkmarks and no yellow minus signs when I use Firefox.
        http://s1.hubimg.com/u/11898770.jpg

3. brakel2 profile image74
      brakel2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Do you have WOT installed on your computer, and is that where you see the yellow and green circles? WOT shows good and bad sites.

No.  In fact, I had to google "WOT" just now to find out what it is.  "Web of Trust."

Swisstoonsposted 9 years ago

I did a little more research and found out why there were no symbols on the SERPs when I used Firefox and IE; I had not enabled Avast on those two browsers!

But now that I have, here is the puzzling thing:  When using Internet Explorer and doing a goofle search, my Hub Pages get a GREEN CHECKMARK next to them, meaning, "This site is safe."

But when I switch to Firefox, I get the same YELLOW checkmark that I get when using Chrome...meaning "This site has a bad reputation."

So, there appears to be no conflict between IE and Avast...but a conflict between both Chrome and Firefox and Avast.

I've just written a new email to Avast about this and will post their response here.
    http://s1.hubimg.com/u/11902952_f1024.jpg

1. brakel2 profile image74
      brakel2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I have Chrome and Avast and have no warnings. Maybe I need to enable them to see it. However, Avast notified me of blocking a malicious site during my use of Chrome yesterday. Everything is a mystery. I hope the email helps, because Chrome is rising in the ranks, and we do not need any more problems with Avast and people trying to visit our wonderful HubPages.

Yes, that's the key...enabling after installing.  I had not enabled Avast on FF even though I'd installed it.

This is the response I received from Avast this morning.  It makes no sense, so I have asked for a clarification.  It makes no sense because when I googled the title of a brand new page written by another writer, it also had the yellow minus sign...even though it would hardly have had a chance to have been read.

"Hello again Thomas,

Thank you for getting back to me.

The reputation is different on the search results on both web browsers because the search results (Google) are not the same.

The ranking is done on individual page of a website by Avast users. Therefore some page of the same website may have good reputation and some may have bad.

Best regards,
      Rojan Piya
      Technical support | AVAST Software s.r.o."

Here is the latest NON-response response from Avast to my specific question re the yellow minus signs that appear next to all HP searches in Google: 

"Hello again Thomas,

My apologies for the late response.

The rating should change as soon as users start giving positive ratings to the pages of the site. Unfortunately, currently there is no other way to change the rating of the web page manually.

Best regards,
        Rojan Piya
        Technical support | AVAST Software s.r.o."

He never addresses my specific question as to why even brand new Hub Pages which haven't had a chance to be rated by anyone get the minus sign (the ALL do!).  In any event, we Avast users can try giving positive ratings and see if it accomplishes anything.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)