jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (10 posts)

Spammer using Hubpages user names

1. NateB11 profile image91
    NateB11posted 2 years ago

I found a site-- choicehomeinc dot info -- that seems to use some kind of automated spamming; looks like they pull things off the web and create nonsensical articles with your user name and a link that just leads back to their own page. Don't know if this is a reason for concern, but I found my user name on the site plus other Hubbers' user names. If you Google the site name and your user name, you're liable to find them using your user name on the site; I did Google some other Hubbers and found their names on the site.

1. The Examiner-1 profile image82
      The Examiner-1posted 2 years ago in reply to this

What is the site?

NateB11posted 2 years ago in reply to this

Not exactly sure, Kevin. From what I can tell it is a site set up just to take content from the web to set up spam pages where people can see their ads. I've seen it before, I think they use some kind of software that takes content from the web and places it on their pages. Other than that, they seem to be posing as a home decor or home improvement site, but I see no sign of the topic on the pages I visited.

Edit: If you meant the literal address it's choicehomeinc dot info.

1. The Examiner-1 profile image82
          The Examiner-1posted 2 years ago in reply to this

Sorry to confuse you Nate, I read right past it in the first post.

No problem.

2. NateB11 profile image91

Last time this happened to me, I emailed the owner of the site and he emailed me back and said he took down the page and that it came from a user that was using the page to spam; and he did in fact take the page down because it was gone after that. I don't know how harmful these sites are, they seem to just randomly grab stuff off the web and post it. It probably generates some kind of income for whoever is doing it, because they use ads. All they use are user names, article titles and I think maybe a minimal amount of text; but their links seem to just go back to their own page.

2. janshares profile image90
    jansharesposted 2 years ago

Googled, saw it, my username in three entries, weird, in between clients right now, concerned, will investigate later.

3. rebekahELLE profile image91
    rebekahELLEposted 2 years ago

I currently have an audio playing that I can't turn off from simply connecting to that site.  I suggest not going to the site.  The audio is a pop up ad for Omega 3's that reads a short article.  When it stops it started another one.
    I got it turned off.

I was getting some weird pop-ups too. I think you're right, I'm wary of the site and others like it.

2. janshares profile image90
      jansharesposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Ditto, I probably won't bother going back now.

working