jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (11 posts)

Are we protected from picking up viruses in hubpages/

1. DonnaCSmith profile image82
    DonnaCSmithposted 7 years ago

For example can a virus be spread via comments on our articles? Someone asked me that question which led me to wonder? Or links in hubs, etc?

1. itech profile image57
      itechposted 5 years ago in reply to this

No, Absolutely not, Unless your click on those links that are pointing to external webpages.

2. paradigmsearch profile image90
    paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago

My general feeling is that we are protected here better than on most websites.

Then again, I have absolutely no information to substantiate this.smile

3. 0
    Website Examinerposted 5 years ago

I agree that HubPages is relatively safe, because they do not allow users to run HTML code and (potentially malicious) scripts. Nor do they host files for users, other than a restricted range of image files.

1. ThomasE profile image82
      ThomasEposted 5 years ago in reply to this

However, I don't think you should rely on any web site security to keep you safe. Local defenses, such as an up to date antivirus program, are key.

Basically, I tend to go through google (which scans for malicious code so it warns you before you even go to the website), then my own virus checker.

My virus checker tends to report if there is a virus detected on a web page.
      So far, it has never reported a problem on hub pages.

4. Rochelle Frank profile image89
    Rochelle Frankposted 5 years ago

Don't touch the doorknobs.

1. 0
      ssaulposted 5 years ago in reply to this

like the video images people put their hubs, hopefully it doesn't have any virus

5. brakel2 profile image87
    brakel2posted 5 years ago

I wonder about the people who write comments that are not hubbers. Often their name goes to an external website. I am afraid sometimes to click on the name. Only once was it a website advertising something, and I reported it.Often it is a hub dealing with the subject of the hub or someone who has come from a link on a forum purposely placed there.

1. Pandoras Box profile image83
      Pandoras Boxposted 5 years ago in reply to this

If you hover your mouse cursor over the link and look down at your status bar it will show you the url.

2. simeonvisser profile image87
      simeonvisserposted 5 years ago in reply to this

That is the most obvious path to a webpage with malicious code and it is best to check the URL before visiting. But HubPages itself allows no coding or files which makes the platform safer than other websites. However, there can always be a technical flaw in HubPages that allows someone to circumvent this and still insert malicious coding into the webpage.

1. Pcunix profile image90
        Pcunixposted 5 years ago in reply to this

And of course the server itself can be hacked and they can have a rogue employee and your DNS can be poisoned so you think you reached HP and you did not..

But yeah, in general, HP is "safe".