jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (11 posts)

IMPLEMENTED: Add "No Follow" to URLs in Photo Capsule

1. Marisa Wright profile image93
    Marisa Wrightposted 2 years ago

....or is that already the case?

There's a lot of discussion that links in photo capsules are often "unrelated".   Many people are going to great lengths to create separate text boxes for photo credits etc.

If we could just get the "Source URL" box in the photo capsule made "no follow" it would solve the whole problem.

1. sallybea profile image96
      sallybeaposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Interesting idea - would that mean that no-one could steal your images?

2. Marie Flint profile image90
    Marie Flintposted 2 years ago

If I'm not mistaken, Marisa, we already have that feature. Basically, you check "no folllow" if you don't want Google Search engine to consider clicks from your hub to add up on the other site's credits for Google standing. This especially applies for sites with which you're really not familiar or with which you have a contract affiliation for royalties (a matter of web etiquette and ethics, I believe).

The reason separate boxes are created for photo credits or other reference sources is a matter of appearance. Bold blue letters appearing under every photo for a hub that you want to appear as artistically pleasing as possible might be too distracting for a sensitive piece that appeals to the emotions or visual arts. Choosing how to credit work other than your own is a matter of personal choice. Hub Pages, of course, encourages legal use of all outside resources.

As far as "unrelated" photos, I think people using those need a little brush-up on Hub Pages Tutorial and article presentation in general. ***

1. The Examiner-1 profile image82
      The Examiner-1posted 2 years ago in reply to this

I do not see that box Marie. The only box which I see to check is "Do not show this capsule"

2. Marisa Wright profile image93
      Marisa Wrightposted 2 years ago in reply to this

We have that OPTION for links in our text.  We do not have that option for Source URL's in the photo capsule. 

I'm assuming it would be easier to simply tag all photo capsules as "no follow" than to add an option box.

3. KathyMcGraw2 profile image81
    KathyMcGraw2posted 2 years ago

I remember that little box but isn't the only choice if it is an affiliate or that type of link?  I was stumped with the choices.

Also, what if you DO want the link to be a do follow?

1. Marisa Wright profile image93
      Marisa Wrightposted 2 years ago in reply to this

That message is just to remind you that affiliate links should be no follow - you can make ANY link no follow, it's up to you. 

I can't imagine many situations where you'd absolutely have to have a do follow link in a photo capsule - after all, you can put a do follow link in the associated paragraph. 

Remember, "no follow" just means that Google ignores it - your readers can still follow it!

4. MasterworksFA profile image61
    MasterworksFAposted 2 years ago

"nofollow" is mostly useful for random visitors adding content to a site, like comments, causing search algorithms to disproportionately credit/discret websites due to their links. It also discourages spam because such links don't do much for ranking. If you are curating what you write and what goes on a webpage, then I don't think you need to worry about nofollow'ing certain links. Believe in the search engines' algorithms.

5. Marisa Wright profile image93
    Marisa Wrightposted 23 months ago

Thanks to HubPages for implementing this change!   Yay!

Now we can all post our photo sources in the "Source" URL without any worry.

1. Maffew James profile image97
      Maffew Jamesposted 23 months ago in reply to this

Brilliant! I've been hoping for this for a long time.

2. Matthew Meyer profile image78
      Matthew Meyerposted 23 months ago in reply to this

Thanks for posting the link!